Gifts of the Emperor

Brothers, a friend of mine as just handed me a few boxes full of 40k gear as his son has lost interest and was gonna bin the lot. It’s mostly tau models (which have already been sold no way will I entertain the thought of using those foulest of xenos) but i one of the boxes i came across a bunch of SM minis, after sorting the chaff from the wheat I’ve managed to come away with an old style sm captain, a mk1 vindicator, 2 squads of tactical marines that look as if there made up of random editions and those models from the battle for macragg set. a metal devastator upgrade pak and 3 attack bikes. (after telling fellow 40k player at my local club i walked away with another 2 and 1 damaged one lol)

All in all a good hawl for nothing imo but the majority of the models have been painted by the kid and look terrible. Anyone got any advice on what i can do with these to get them up to stadard to they can join my crusade

The emperor protects

Glaeken Templaris

Quick thoughts:

Option A: prime black all over it, do some highlights and welcome to your crusade.

Pros: speed and economy

Cons: final result and, depending on the original condition, loss of detail

Option B: strip the models (you have looooong threads about that, I suggest isopropilic alcohol). Prime and highlight.

Pros: will get back the detail and will be able to paint more in the line of your current army

Cons: time consuming and a bit more expensive.

Brothers, a friend of mine as just handed me a few boxes full of 40k gear as his son has lost interest and was gonna bin the lot. It’s mostly tau models (which have already been sold no way will I entertain the thought of using those foulest of xenos) but i one of the boxes i came across a bunch of SM minis, after sorting the chaff from the wheat I’ve managed to come away with an old style sm captain, a mk1 vindicator, 2 squads of tactical marines that look as if there made up of random editions and those models from the battle for macragg set. a metal devastator upgrade pak and 3 attack bikes. (after telling fellow 40k player at my local club i walked away with another 2 and 1 damaged one lol)

All in all a good hawl for nothing imo but the majority of the models have been painted by the kid and look terrible. Anyone got any advice on what i can do with these to get them up to stadard to they can join my crusade

The emperor protects

Glaeken Templaris

I just stripped some models for the first time last week. I let them sit in Simple Green for about a day or two, was probably overkill, then with a toothbrush scrubbed them with isopropyl alcohol. They looked almost brand new. Was pretty easy.

I'd recommend using Oven Cleaner (Easy Off Oven Cleaner) to clean them off. It's safe & effective for plastic & metal and I haven't come across any paint it can't strip off. Take the models and put them in a large zip-lock bag & spray the oven cleaner over them. Make sure each piece gets completely coated and let them sit in the oven cleaner for 24hrs. After 24hrs a simple rinse of warm water will wash away most of the paint, and then some gentle scrubbing with an old tooth brush will get the rest. It works really well.

Does isopropyl alcohol and/or Easy Off remove spray paint? And what about glue/Green Stuff?
Don't know about the alcohol's abilities, as I've never tried it. As far as Easy Off goes, like I mentioned, I haven't found a paint that it won't remove yet. Acrylics, Enamels, Spray Paints, Primer, it's eaten right through them all w/no damage to the plastics or metals and no loss of detail. It's really awesome stuff. I use super glue on all of my models so I can only speak to its effects on super glue; no it doesn't remove the super glue, but it does weaken the bond enough that the pieces will come apart. The longer you let it sit in the Easy Off the more it weakens the bonds of the super glue, then it's just a matter of using your hobby knife/file to clean it up. I have no idea what it would do with plastics held together with plastic cement as I don't use it. However, based on the way plastic cement works, I would assume that it won't weaken/remove the plastic cement as it actually melts the plastics together to form the bond. I've never used green stuff on any of my miniatures so I'm not sure what the oven cleaner will do with your GS either. My guess would be that it wouldn't do much (but I don't know for sure!) to it as it doesn't harm the plastic or metal in any way. I forgot to mention that Easy Off is safe to use with resin pieces also - no damage & it pulls the paint right off. Hope this helps.

IPA will remove in 2h 99% of the paint with gentle scrubbing. SOME primer is hard to remove... just let it sit longer (I forgot about some models and they spend 1 month in IPA... no problem).

I will weaken/remove superglue, but will have no effect upon plastic cement.

Good thing about IPA is that regardless of how dirty it looks, it still works :)

Thanks for the replys brothers, i think ill give this IPA a whack and see what happens. Ive tried acetone free nailvarnish remover to de smurf a landraider and that worked but required a load of hard scrubing. Also tried pure acetone which worked fine for metal but wouldnt trust my plastics with it. also tried oven cleaner. worked ok on a metal model but again i think that would start eatting my plastics.

any idea where i would get my mits on this IPA ????

Also tried oven cleaner. worked ok on a metal model but again i think that would start eatting my plastics.

Oven Cleaner works great for plastics. I use it all the time, it doesn't damage them at all. I recently left a few plastic mini's in a bag of oven cleaner for 4 days straight & it still didn't damage them at all.

Archived