Which Vanguard weapon configuration?

mercury

I have 250-points to spend in the Flesh Tearers DoA-type force I am building, and want to field a unit of Vanguard. This unit needs to be killy to take advantage of their Heroic Intervention rule, but also resilient.

I was therefore thinking of selecting 3 storm shields, 1 lightning claw and 1 power fist.

Problem is, how do I allocate these weapons?

1xPF/SS, 1xLC/SS, 1xBP/SS, 2xBP/CCW (this configuration gives me more close combat attacks. However, if I take more than 1 AP2 wound from a single source, I will be risking a special close combat weapon if I allocate the wound to a model that could actually save the wound).

1xPF/BP, 1xLC/BP, 3xBP/SS (this configuration is a little more shooty, but has fewer close combat attacks. I can however allocate up to 3 AP2 wounds to invulnerable models without risking a special close combat weapon).

For the record I already have a unit of Assault Terminators which I could use as an alternative, but since they lack Heroic Intervention and jump packs, they aren't quite what I'm looking for. Still gonna try them out though...

Thoughts?

It's a little common to see 5 man HI VVs used as kamikaze units and used mostly versus infantry.

ie, they're already dead so they keep the shields to a minimum and PW/LCs closer to maximum. Mixing regular and no armour save attacks gives your opponent the chance to minimize casualties via wound allocation... just like you are. In essence, you're slowing the fight down. It may pay off and keep them in CC, but then you're sacrificing assassination/resolution for a tarpit. Sure, you might kill an IC or you might not. If I was going to be SS heavy, I'd do it more seriously with a larger VV.

I know it's not what you asked... just saying.

If I was to have just 1 SS, It'd go on the PF. Otherwise, your first combination looks alright for what you're asking considering your 250 points available.

GE/PF

PW

LC

PW MB

LC MB

235/250

I have been playing a DOA list for a while now, and I learned some pretty valuable lessons and done quite a bit of reading up on it to find the right load outas well. I hate to be so absolute but in a DOA army VV's really have one roll, and that is Heroic Intervention on your opponents most critical targets.

Now assuming that you are using a typical DOA build I would guess you have 2? If so at 2k you must have 2 to be effective, at 1750, depending on the other units you may be able to get by with 1, that being said VV must be able to survive the round they land to be effective in a DOA army, so that means SS. My load out for them is 1 glaive 1 pf and 4 SS with 2 5 man squads buit the same. I also run SG in my jump list and I have just recetly started to combat squad my RAS in every game, this really helps alot, lets look at how they work.

The idea is for your VV to hit first what will hit you the hardest. That means target prioritization, anthing that is going to tie your RAS up for more than a round or two needs to be hit by VV with a 5 RAS or SG coming in the next round to help finish them off opening them up for the next round of charges. I would reccomend against loading them with LC' or PW's, tarpit is by all means to most effective way to run VV in a DOA list.

If you think about it what other options do you have, and what are the weakneses of a DOA list, well they dont have much by way of anti-av punch, and it is easy for them to get bogged down in assaults. The VV can aleviate this by effective cmobat squading and SG use.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Ashton

I was thinking 1/2 along the lines of everyone elses logic it seems.

Sgt, 2xLC seems the cheapest way to get two LC's and will look cool.

TH,SS

PW,SS

BP,PW

BP,PW

Thinking about how to use my VV, shooting is the last priority on the list and maxing the utility of HI is #1. So heavy on CC and number of attacks with a TH tossed in for a little anti-tank flexibility. Also if you can have a priest nearby before the drop you can get the FC and FNP. A shot in the dark sure but I always have a SP attached to one of my RAS.

For 255 points, I've been using this:

6 Vanguard.

Sergeant with a pair of claws (I know its better to have 2 guys each with 1 claw, but I wanted to use my captain model)

1 Power weapon/bolt pistol

1 Thunder hammer bolt pistol

3 chainsword bolt pistol.

I started off using a unit that weighed in around 350 points. I then read other players accounts here having a lot of success with stripped down units designed solely as Kamikazes. Here is my old unit:

Sergeant/thunderhammer & stormshield

Vet #1/lightning claw & stormshield

Vet #2/lightning claw & stormshield

Vet #3/lightning claw & stormshield

Vet #4/power sword & infernus pistol

Vet #5/chainsword & bolt pistol

Here is how I run the new squad:

Sergeant/power fist & stormshield

Vet #1 - #4/power sword & bolt pistol

They are both awesome units and never disappoint but you can save a lot of points if you drop the shields. Either way they are definitely one of the best units in the codex.

0b :lol:

You are statistically better off using LClaw and Bolt Pistol than PWeapon and Bistol if they are HIing in with no Priest for Furious Charge. You'll score more wounds re-rolling to wound at S4 than with the extra S4 attack.

Archived