MARINES:

Captain w/ JP

Assault Squad x5 PW

Tactical Squad x3 Rhino

Scouts x5

Sterngaurd x5

Terminators w/ Assault Cannon

Dawn of War – 4 Objectives

One objective is in the back left corner behind a large hill. 12” to the right and closer to the center, near some woods, is the second objective. The third objective is 12” to the right of that one and closer to the BA table edge. The 4th is 12” directly right of the 3rd objective, and near area terrain.

TURN 1

He got first turn. Combat squads all tactical squads. Puts a 5 man combat squad near the far right objective in area terrain. He also puts a 5 man combat squad in the back corner with a moderate line of site to the right side of the board. His terminators will deep strike. I declare that my 10 man RAS will combat squad. My Vangaurd will deep strike for HI of course. Also, everything of mine will roll on turn one.

Everything of his walks on, assault squad with captain in the middle, sternguard middle/right. His scouts post up near the left objective in area terrain, with a 5 man tactical to the right and left of them about at about a 6” interval. His rhino moves 12” toward the right most objective.

Everything of mind moves forward. Devastators climb a hill. Baal, LC Razor, and attack bike #1 post behind the Devastator mountain to take shots at the combat squad holding the right objective. AC Razor #1 takes mid left field with librarian inside, supported by a 5 man combat assault squad with power fist. AC Razor is about 8” away, the other half of the assault squad with 2x MGs, and attack bike beside/behind it. Pot shots from Baal… roll for night vision, it sees them. The 5 man combat squad takes a couple wounds from the assault cannon.

No assaults.

Marines: 2 Objectives

Blood Angels: 0 Objectives

TURN 2

His terminators come down towards the middle/right objective. They shoot at the attack bike, nothing. He moves his rhino toward the center right objective. His assault squad/captain jump into a hill. Ends up taking a wound on the captain from it. The sterngaurd move forward up the middle. The combat squads without heavy weapons shuffle around on the right side. The combat squads in the back left shuffle around a bit and take the center/left objective, heavy weapons stay put, sniper scouts stay put. Shooting sees the Baal immobilized from a rocket shot! WOW! 3 to hit, 5 for a glancing hit… on the damage table, a 6! Nice rolling! Too bad that Baal is aimed straight at the right most objective.

I forget to roll for my Vangaurd… they wont come in next turn either.. My two attack bikes move forward to take shots at the rhino, or if that dies, my plan was to shoot at all the combat squads heading towards/sitting on the right objective. One razor moves towards the center/right objective. Terminators nearby. Other razor moves towards the center left objective. I’m counting on his Captain/Assault squad to assault that razorback.. so I keep my left combat squaded assault squad back near my table edge. My right combat squad follow the razorback and plan on charging the terminators. During the shooting phase, the devastators shoot his rhino… penetrate. It blows up. PINS THE 10 MAN SQUAD INSIDE, kills 2 inside, and 2 guys nearby. WOW. What a lucky shot. The attack bikes decide it’s time to tarpit a whole lot of marines and assault. They pop a few with multi-melta/bolter, then assault the pinned squad and another squad. I think a few marines on the right side of the board died to Baal shots. The center/right objective Razorback plops out it’s assault squad with priest. The JP Assault squad shoots 2 terminators dead with a melta gun.. the razor RAS shoots another dead with melta. The JP RAS assault with the FC benefit from nearby priest. 1 Terminator dies with an unlucky roll of a 1 for an armor save. The sergeant terminator swings and kills 1 marine. Tied combat. One attack bike takes a wound in assault, kills a marine in return. Tied combat. The tarpit begins. 4’s to hit, and 5’s to wound. He didn’t have any PW or PF in his combat squads.

Marines: 3 Objectives/1 of which is Contested

Blood Angels: 1 Objective

TURN 3

His Captain/Assault squad goes for my center/left razor as expected. They assault and don’t break it. His shooting sees a few of my center/right assault squad die to Sterngaurd fire, but nothing that breaks them. The center/right razor takes a missile. Can’t move/shoot. Assaults: the Termi sergeant takes out another blood angel marine. I pass my leadership test… combat goes on. The attack bikes are assaulted by a couple more marines. Now a full 10 man squad, and two 5 man squads are in combat with 2 attack bikes. Tied combat again, no wounds on either side.

I roll for Vangaurd – 2. They wait in reserve. My LC Razor sneakily moves around a hill, about 17” from the right most objective and pops smoke. My turn 3 sees my Right/Center razor dump out a librarian with assault squad for an assault on the Captain and gang. The 5 man JP assault squad with powerfist leaps to assist. The razorback itself moves about 7” left and takes some pot shots somewhere, doing nothing. The priest and assault marine at center/right move back to the razorback and hop inside again. My devastator squad finishes off his far right corner combat squad with heavy weapon. Assaults: unleash rage kicks off. His captain dies, he looses a few from the assault squad. He fails leadership, I catch him. He rolls his saves, and passes them all. 3 Marines for me left to kill with my Libby, PW Sergeant, PF Sergeant, etc. Cool.

Marines: 3 Objectives/2 of which contested

Blood Angels: 1 Objective

TURN 4

Nothing eventful during his movement phase. He shoots a rocket at my leftmost razor and wrecks it. He shoots at my Libby and squad, nothing. On to assaults. His termi sergeant takes out another marine, but dies in return to another unlucky armor save. They consolidate towards the sternguard. The 15 or so marines locked in combat with the attack bikes finally kill one and take a wound in return. All pile in on the single attack bike with one wound left. The Libby and gang kill 2 more marines, he fails leadership, but beats me in Initiative!!! He runs 3d6. I consolidate towards the center left objective and the combat squad holding it.

My Vangaurd come in! Heroic intervention aimed at the Scouts holding the left objective and the tactical combat squad close enough to get there in a pinch. I place them about 6 inches form the table edge, directly between the two squads. I scatter one inch towards the tac squad… that’s who I’ll assault. My devastators move up for better LOS.. and run for a great position if my attack bike bites the dust. My LC Razor zooms up to the right objective. My remaining 2 JP marinesThe priest and assault marine inside the right most razor hold the objective and move about an inch so it’ll be 4’s to hit at least. My left assault squad with libby, and 2 remaining JP RAS assault the combat squad holding the center/left objective and decimate them but I lose a JP marine in return… the PF Sergeant lives though. The sterngaurd get assaulted by my 2 or 3 JP marines on the center/right of the board. Eventually I get down to one marine, but all the sterngaurd die. The attack bike finally dies and he consolidates one squad to the right most objective, and two squads towards my razorback which is holding the center/right objective. 100 points of attack bikes were golden this game. The Vangaurd assault the 5 TACs, decimate them, and consolidate halfway behind a mountain incase the snipers rend.

Marines: 2 Objectives

Blood Agnesl: 2 Objectives

TURN 5/6

He assaults my LC Razor, wrecks it, and the assault squad pops out. Objective still contested. The two remaining TACS move towards my Center/Right Razor and Objective and can’t get close enough to the objective to contest it from me. My Libby and gang hang onto the center/left Objective, and the Vangaurd wipe out the scouts. The single JP Assault Sergeant with fist wipes out the left combat squad near the left most objective.

FINAL TALLY:

MARINES: 1 CONTESTED OBJECTIVE

BLOOD ANGELS: 3 OBJECTIVES

BLOOD ANGELS WIN!

Yeah my LC Razor is fantastic for supporting my Devastators, and it's been such an excellent Turn 4/5/6 Objective grabber. This was the first time in a while that my JP Assault Squad have panned out. I think the trick is to combat squad them and use them exactly how I did. One combat squad for each of my forward pushing AC Razors. I guess it's a sort of MSU mentality where even if my Razor is popped and the squad assaulted, my jump troops fly in for support and most likely win combat. My Baal still underperformed in my opinion. In my last game, the Vindicator at least took out another Vindicator before blowing up. The Baal killed a handful of marines, but nothing my Devastators couldn't have handled. The Vangaurd were great, but my reserve rolls, even with DoA, were atrocious.

My MVP's this game were my Attack Bikes. They held up between 10-15 marines for multiple turns which really kept my opponent on the right side of the board while my Libby, VV, and JP RAS cleaned up the left side of the board. 4's to hit, and 5's to wound are tough. Thanks for reading!

Archived