IG HW shields on SM Hbolters?

I have no photos but one of my 13th company Long Fangs is carrying an IG Heavybolter... it is supposed to be like he just ripped it off or picked it up from its emplacement because he needed a new weapon... not the same thing but I thought it looked good enough :)

Haha. As for the shields, it would look more appropriate if the Hbolter had a tripod or was vehicle mounted. It just doesn't look right for this guy to be carrying around this big heavy gun AND a huge heavy shield too.

I have seen the concept elsewhere, particularly in video games- and it only works if the shield isn't THAT big.

For example: observe. Notice how it is small enough to protect a small portion of the body, and how problematic that shield would be if one were to try and fire from the prone unsupported position.

Translation to w40k: Whilst the heavy bolter is comically oversized, in relation to a space marine its not overly large, and they have the means to compensate. They really don't need a shield to protect them. A guardsman needs to cover his arse given his armour is not proof against that much.

A shield that big I figure would just get in the way of a marine.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Archived