Red Thirst and combat squads

Redfinger

RAS can be turned into combat squads, this is done when they deploy, so I really have 2 questions I guess.

1. The Red Thrist is rolled before deployment, so at this point then combat squds have not be done yet, so does that mean that both 5 man squads now have the red thrist?

2. when deep striking via DOA, do you combat squad when you land, creating 2 seperate squads, or do you place both squads seperately and roll scatter for both, rule seems a bit vauge.

The way I have been doing it is declaring the combat squad option when the roll declares it is coming in, then I place the entire 10 man squad rolling scatter for that1 unit, then placing them as 1 unit, then if I am moving(running) I move the ones I want to combat squad, or if I am shooting I shoot the ones I want to combat squad, or a do both.

Is this right? If not can you please provide the correct page number the refrences the rule.

Thanks,

Ashton

I re-read the two entries...Red Thirst : every unit must roll...though at the same time combat squads counts them as separate squads... Unit is from the FOC correct? and a squad is what it is on the table..correct? If so then you would only roll once. I believe...

You roll for thirst before deployment, you break up into combat squads in deployment. I would assume that you roll once and they either both get the thirst or they dont as they are considered a single unit untill you combat squad them.

1. Actually, the Red Thirst says 'After forces have been deployed...', which would mean that you deploy (and Combat Squad anything on the board) and then roll (for all your units, not just the ones on the board), so a squad that has used Combat Squads rolls for each half squad. At this point, if one of your RAS in Reserve rolled a 1 for the Red Thirst, the entire squad would have the Red Thirst, so when they DoA and Combat Squad, both squads will have the Red Thirst.

2. Roll scatter for both half squads.

Combat squad-ing happens after it's reserve roll.

(BRB states this under reserves; [a successful reserve roll enables the moment of deployment] 'deploying from reserve')

Red Thirst states the rolls happen pre-scout moves. I.e. combat squads (units) already deployed roll separately as they're treated as 'separate units for all purposes'. Units in reserve are yet to be combat squadded so one roll for each unit entire.

Clearly Red Thirst shakes the combat squad & reserve deployment rules a little. It is not straight forward as, depending on reserve placement, it treats units and combat squads differently... however that's what the books say to do.

*shrug*

I keep it simple and roll by initial unit at the pre-scout move moment.

edit: horrible grammar.

*The drop pod example rolls as one unit as the test is pretty much done before anything happens further to initial placement.

Non-issue. Codex says Including units you have left in reserve (paraphrasing, but not really). That answers your question. If not, re-read it and the reserve rules a couple dozen more times until it clicks. I've often found that if I skim rules I have a lot of questions, but if I go back and read them in their entirety a couple times they become more clear.

Non-issue. Codex says Including units you have left in reserve (paraphrasing, but not really). That answers your question. If not, re-read it and the reserve rules a couple dozen more times until it clicks. I've often found that if I skim rules I have a lot of questions, but if I go back and read them in their entirety a couple times they become more clear.

this.

Red Thirst states the rolls happen pre-scout moves. I.e. combat squads (units) already deployed roll separately as they're treated as 'separate units for all purposes'. Units in reserve are yet to be combat squadded so one roll for each unit entire.

2. One reserve roll and then two scatter rolls as they can deep strike to two totally different locations. Similarly, when coming in from reserves arrival is determined from one roll, they combat squad and can enter the table edge separate from each other. The only exception is the drop pod. It allows the whole squad to hit the table together in the pod and then combat squad while disembarking.

you deploy them into deepstrike at the start of the game,
That is a common misconception and it really clears things up if you never say "deployed into reservers" ever again. Units are kept in reserves, not deployed. Deploying is when you put the model on the table. You deploy before the first turn and keep models in reserve and nominate what units will arrive vie deepstrike. You later deploy via deepstrike. Deployment happens when the unit arrives.

2. One reserve roll and then two scatter rolls as they can deep strike to two totally different locations. Similarly, when coming in from reserves arrival is determined from one roll, they combat squad and can enter the table edge separate from each other. The only exception is the drop pod. It allows the whole squad to hit the table together in the pod and then combat squad while disembarking.

I am a bit confused as to what you are saying here. Are you saying a 10man RAS that combat squads you roll one time for if they come in, but roll for scatter of two different squads due to combating? If that is what you are saying that seems horribly incorrect.

you deploy them into deepstrike at the start of the game,
That is a common misconception and it really clears things up if you never say "deployed into reservers" ever again. Units are kept in reserves, not deployed. Deploying is when you put the model on the table. You deploy before the first turn and keep models in reserve and nominate what units will arrive vie deepstrike. You later deploy via deepstrike. Deployment happens when the unit arrives.

If you roll for thirst before scout moves, then you would...technically...never roll for thirst for any deep striking unit. Based off of the example you have given.

I think it was made clear earlier that the red thirst rule specifically states to roll for reserves red thirst and deployed red thirst at the same time: pre' scout moves.

As for combat squading from reserves, C:BA pg 23. 'when the unit is deployed'. Reserves in BRB states deployment happens after reserve roll. ie, one reserve roll, 2 squads DS.

Archived