Psiweapon

ImperialReaper

Greetings.

I am facing Chaos and Nids a lot in my lokal metagame. Both tend to bring units to the table which have a high WS and toughness as well als many livepoints - such as the greater deamon for instance. So I was thinking about using psiweapons to instant kill them.

But I got trouble deciding who shall get the psiweapon. I see a lot of librarians in lists - but to me the Furioso seems like the better place to put it. The librarian is great - but his stats dont make him to good in clos combat. He lacks WS, Strength and in particular attacks and so is pretty unreliable to hit and wound such mentioned targets. This would also mean is is unrealiable to use his psiweapon for instantly killing such targets. This is why I tend to upgrade the 2 furiosos I am constantly running to scriptors since they seem more reliable.

What do you think?

Using a dread to hunt down high toughness MCs that both Chaos and Nids bring to the table I think is a very bad idea. Even with a Force Weapon the higher I of things like Hive Tyrants, Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons you have a much higher chance of loosing your dread then you do actually killing the MC. You MAY get lucky with killing the Fex variant bugs but if they hit back your pretty much toast. If you really want to go hunting down MCs with a force weapon Mephiston is your best bet.

sanguine sword, give str10, can be cast in both assault phases I beleive. What type of list are you taking?

Ashton

Yes but the units I mentioned are mostly T6 - whcih means even Str10 cant overkill em. And even if they where only T5 i`d be still worried about not even wounding it once due to the lack of attacks and the comparabely low WS of the librarian.

I am talking an all comers list - since IMO a psycher is essential in 5th edition. This is also why I am hesitating to put Mephiston in since named characters are not really a good choice for all comers. Even if mephiston ist just a MONSTER!

I but just got an idea - maybe I could make a librarian an epistolary and so give him +w3 attacks or high initiative. Would help to use the psiweapon effective afterwards.

Well with out knowing the details of your list I am going to make an assumption that you will be like most BA armies and have speed and mobility on your side, if that is the case pick and choose your battles, and don't get into b2b with them. If you are taking ass/backs then saturation of fire from 24in would work, enough shots and you will get some rends, or if your force is jump based then melta the thing to death, if you happen to have terrmies TH/ SS isn't a bad way to deal with them either

Ashton

Well with out knowing the details of your list I am going to make an assumption that you will be like most BA armies and have speed and mobility on your side, if that is the case pick and choose your battles, and don't get into b2b with them. If you are taking ass/backs then saturation of fire from 24in would work, enough shots and you will get some rends, or if your force is jump based then melta the thing to death, if you happen to have terrmies TH/ SS isn't a bad way to deal with them either

Ashton

Especially with the greater deamon whcih pops up within a palgue marine squad is hard to evade - becaust those are the guys who always camp at objectives. Same goes for those those 6 livepoint tyranides which are shocktroops.

Well I value your help - but I am afraid there are units which are better shot than killed in cc - at least as a Blood Angel. I still wish i could recrouit a 30 guys ork mob for such occasions...

WS5 - so you will hit any unit in the game on a 4+. Thats not bad. Just becuase you dont hit a Greater Daemon on a 3+ doesnt mean your librarian has low WS. That is a perception issue which isnt helping you. 2A, sure its not a gazillion, but with 2 CCW's and charging that gets you 4A. 5 or even 6A is possible (attach him to a unit with the chapter banner and be within range of the Sanguinor). If you have an epistolary and a basic Librian in that unit together, then the basic librarin can cast might of heroes to get an additional D3 attacks. Taking your epistolary to 7-10 attacks. Thats Bloodthirster territory right there...

If the unit he is with happens to have a priest nearby (or is a command squad with a priest in it) then he becomes I5 and S5. Wounding Plague Marines on a 4+, T6 on a 5+ and T7 or 8 on a 6+. With 10 attacks. Probably fighting simultaneously (unless that bloodthirster is involved).

Then, if your Epistolary Librarian manages to cast Sanguine Sword, he is S10. You may not need this - probably better to cast Unleash rage to get more hits at S5 - but if your going up against a high T you might want the 2+ to wound. So thats up to 10A, at up to S10, with a 4+ to hit (possibly with a re-roll if you are happy with S5), no armour saves allowed, and then a chance of an instant death if you only used 1 psy power previously that turn, or you might just decide the S10 wiht a 4+ and a re-roll to hit is better odds than trying the psy weapon attack. On a guy whose stats dont make him good in CC...

Our Libby's are much better in this 5th edition than in 3rd edition and I killed blood thirsters all day with only a tda Libby.

Sure I would love for them to have more attacks and wounds, but they still can get the job done regardless.

EDIT: I have yet to face one in this edition. I know they are tougher but so are we. :cry:

The trick with sanguine sword isn't to be str10 over t5, so that you instant kill, but just to wound on 2s.

You get enough attacks to get 1 hit, 1 wound, pass the psychic test and down goes the monstrous creature.

Librarians in terminator armor with a stormshield (for the 4++ invulnerable), rocking sanguine sword kill monstrous creatures dead.

They do it a lot better than Dreadnoughts because they can't be torn up nearly as easily in response.

The trick with sanguine sword isn't to be str10 over t5, so that you instant kill, but just to wound on 2s.

You get enough attacks to get 1 hit, 1 wound, pass the psychic test and down goes the monstrous creature.

Librarians in terminator armor with a stormshield (for the 4++ invulnerable), rocking sanguine sword kill monstrous creatures dead.

They do it a lot better than Dreadnoughts because they can't be torn up nearly as easily in response.

While I agree with basically everything you said tactic wize, isent the Psyweapon a single attack in lieu of your normal attacks that insta kills if it wounds? My understanding was you either swipe away with your normal (PW) attacks or exchange them for one psy weapon attack.

While I agree with basically everything you said tactic wize, isent the Psyweapon a single attack in lieu of your normal attacks that insta kills if it wounds? My understanding was you either swipe away with your normal (PW) attacks or exchange them for one psy weapon attack.

Nope, if any of your FW attacks make it through you may use the instant death ability. A single attack would suck pretty hard.

It is important to note that you need the epistolary upgrade to use sanguine sword and the force weapon in the same turn, as the force weapon use counts as a psycic power. Also, I beleive the Chaos MCs are immune to instant death (demons are eternal warriors). Still great for 'nids, though.

Choices:

Furioso Librarian with Unleash Rage/ Wings of Sanguinius + a Sanguinary Priest to give him Charge and make him even more powerful.

Librarian (Epistolary) with Sanguine Sword/ Unleash Rage, if you have a JP or going walking.

Librarian (Epistolary) with Sanguine Sword/ Unleash Rage and Bike.

Librarian (Epistolary) with Sanguine Sword/ Unleash Rage and Terminator armor.

Mephiston.

The last one is my favorite.

Ran

Archived