Best type of brushes Plez Help Me !

Grizwald714

Hey I'm looking for really good quality brushes. I have been painting models for the past 10 years and I have gotten pretty good at painting. I started with gw brushes then I used p3 brushes and army painter brushes now I use model master brush mainly. But I want to get some good quality brushes ive heard they can run 20 or more a brush witch is fine. I am just sick of brushes lossing their tips quick as hell and I care for my brushes I make sure I clean them well and make sure they have a tip when I put them pack in the jar. I paint a lot prob a couple hours a day. I'm just sick of buying new brushes every week. If anyone knows any companies that make really good quality brushes plez let me know. Thanks

My two top choices are the Raphael 8404's and the Winsor & Newton 7 Miniature Series brushes.

The Raphael's have longer bristles, allowing them to hold more paint and are thus suited (from personal experience/preference) more to basecoating, blending, washing, etc. Basically all the "grunt" work. I tend to use size 0.

The W&N 7 Series brushes are shorter and stiffer, holding less paint but maintaining their point/tip far longer. I break these babies out for when I need to do fine detail work, freehand, etc. Size 000, 00, and 0 serve me well here.

Depending on where you get them, and what size you get, a brush will range from $10 to $20+ each. But think of them as investments. I go through a Raphael brush about once every year (semi-habitual cleaning, painting for almost 4-5 hours every day). I've been using the same W&N 7 Series brushes for about 5 years now, and they're still as good as when I first bought them.

Dv8

I'll second what DV8 said, and add that if you go to dickblick.com, you can pick up W&N series 7 brushes for around 7 bucks a pop. Can't remember if they have Raphael's or not, but if they do, you'll get a good deal on them, as well.

I ruin brushes so to me the best are the cheapest, and i've found some good ones at Micheals for $1.50. From the package. White Nylon, spotter 5/0 pointe 5/0. www.Loew-cornell.com

I've used the sable brushes I mess those up too, although they do tend to last longer.

I use the Kolinsky Sable brushes from thewarstore.com. They are way better than the standard brush and I would imagine on par with the W&N 7 brushes, although I have not used them.

Pure sable bristles is what you are looking for.

DaVinci Maestro - My favorites at the moment, nice handle on them

W&N S7 - Very good.

Rosemary & Co - Good.

I use my Raphael brushes for putting ProWeld on the plastic, that's about all they're good for.

All the above are good brushes, handle length / brush belly width / length of hair are all largely personal preference but all should last for years if well cared for. Just dont get the W&N S7 Miniature brushes, nothing to see here, move along...

Archived