Building the Fallen, cont.

minionboy

Hey guys, thanks for your help before about building the Fallen. I've put together a list of what I want in my army, as well as the rules/characters that I feel are appropriate. Now it's time to actually build the suckers! I will be following the story that my fallen were indeed loyal and that the followers of the Lion are unfit if their station, more or less following the interrogation of Astelan (HERESY!!!).

I know it's technically a vanilla list, but I felt it would be more appropriate here, damned if I know if it will be effective:

Kor'sarro Khan counts as (my fallen are sneaky)

Command Squad: 2 Power Weapons, Company Champion, Storm Shield

Chaplain: Terminator Armor, Combi-melta

10 Sternguard: 2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-flamers, Sergeant with Power Fist

10 Sternguard: 2 Lascannons, 3 Combi-meltas, Sergeant with Power Fist

5 Terminators: Assault Cannon, Chain Fist

10 Tactical Marines: Missile Launcher, Melta Gun, Sergeant with Power Fist

10 Tactical Marines: Missile Launcher, Melta Gun, Sergeant with Power Fist

10 Devastators: 2 Plasma Cannons, 2 heavy Bolters, Sergeant with Power Weapon

2000 points exactly. Everything will be in combat squads, with the heavy weapon portions deploying normally, the rest outflanking.

I have ordered the following to complete my goal:

1x Cypher

1x Masters of the Chapter

6x Dark Angel Chapter Upgrade

1x Space Marine Devastators

1x Terminator Squad

1x Black Templar Chapter Upgrade

1x Blood Angels Death Company

20x Umbra Ferrox Bolters (forgeworld, for Sternguard)

20x Phobos Bolters (forgeworld, for Tactical/Devastators)

2x Space Marine Special Weapons Pack (forgeworld)

10x Pre-heresy Terminator Shoulders (maxmini, second from the left)

20x Pre-heresy style helmets (maxmini, numbers 3 and 4)

2x Chaos Terminator heavy flamer (bits, ebay)

1x Chaos Terminator reaper autocannon (bits, ebay)

75x Diamond plate 25mm bases (forgecraft)

5x Diamond plate 40mm bases (forgecraft)

13x Pre-heresy bolt pistols (as bits, from Forgeworld Marine Character Upgrade)

1x Martha Stewart Microbeads (amazon)

So basically as you can see, it's basically 60 robed marines, and a massive pile of bits.

The general plan is that each marine will either have a robed helmet, or a pre-heresy style head, and the robed heads will be modified to look like pre-heresy helmets. They will all have the sword shoulder-pad, which I will carefully cut into to appear cracked. I will also be adding rivets around the trim of all shoulder pads. All exposed power armor will be given rivets to appear older, or pre-heresy. All tactical marines will have Phobos bolters, while the Sternguard are given Umbra Ferrox.

The terminators will be given a lot of love with new legs, shoulders and heads, while their Assault Cannon will be converted to be a reaper autocannon with the Space Wolf ammo feed.

The whole army will be painted in the pre-heresy paint scheme, with the Dark Angel chapter badge, although the sword will be broken. All of them will appear to have very old and worn armor and robes.

This should be a fun challenge. I'll be sure to keep B&C updated as I move forward. As always, any tips or advice is always welcome!

Have you considered Kantor instead? Two maxed Sternguard squads would be great as scoring units.

Best of luck with your project, and remember: pictures are mandatory.

I was debating between the two, and I may make lists with both, but the all foot slogging army made me think Kor'sarro was a stronger choice, I certainly can try both.

Also, Pedro would allow me to convert up a sweet unit of Honor Guard... Probably a future expansion of my list.

• 2 weeks later...

The project has begun!

gallery_2912_5442_33302.jpg

Crappy picture, I know, but it's just showing off 6x DA Chapter Upgrade, a terminator squad and a DA Veteran squad. Still waiting on the post for 40 pre-heresy backpacks, 20 crusade armor arms, bases, my micro beads and forgeworld weapons. I skilled the MAS Crusader legs for my terminators and instead will be using black templar tabards.

I've also done some test painting and have my mind wrapped around sponge weathering, so you're going to see some beaten up marines as soon as I get more of my resin in hand.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

So I still haven't received my forgeworld bits, nor have I received my bases, but I'm tired of waiting! I put together a few models and thought I'd share them:

First terminator (of 10):

gallery_2912_5442_66453.jpg

Devastator Squad:

gallery_2912_5442_19056.jpg

Tactical Squad:

gallery_2912_5442_32647.jpg

Group Shot:

gallery_2912_5442_4614.jpg

I know the pictures aren't the best, but when I get to painting them, I'll be sure to take pro photos. My goal for tomorrow is to finish the other 9 terminators.

Also, just because I think you can never have enough HQ, here is my selection:

Group Shot:

gallery_2912_5442_12019.jpg

First half:

gallery_2912_5442_153186.jpg

(left to right: Kor'sarro Khan counts as, Cypher, Terminator Chaplain, Chaplain)

Second Half:

gallery_2912_5442_79267.jpg

(Librarian, Captain with fist, Captain with Hammer, Captain with Power Weapon, Captain with Storm Shield)

I'm considering using my bulk of captains as Honor Guard when I play bigger games (using Cypher as a chapter master, but also with Kor'sarro for chapter tactics).

Looking forward to see your painted force :D

*off-topic*

Where did you ordered the cypher from?

I actually have had him since he was released, finding him in a box is what prompted me to make the army. I think you can still get him on the GW site.

these models look great <_<

a tip on taking the pictures

find the little flower icon on your camera thats the micro setting.

find a lamp or something to place the model under and use the micro setting,

then we can see the models more clearly :P

these models look great :D

a tip on taking the pictures

find the little flower icon on your camera thats the micro setting.

find a lamp or something to place the model under and use the micro setting,

then we can see the models more clearly :D

I've got a whole photo booth, these are just shot with my cellphone. Once i get to painting, I'll be sure to take good quality shots for you guys. I'm glad you like the minis though!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, I've been pretty busy at work. I have all the tactical marines and devastators, assembled now, plus 5 of the terminators. I'm going to pick up another BT box tonight and finish the other 5 of them. I also have all the bits for my first Veteran squad, just waiting on 4 more MK3 arms for my second squad. The bolters are in, I've converted my bolter-plasmas and 2 of the bolter-meltas, but I need 3 more Infernus pistols to finish. I've also been riveting a bunch, but I think I'm going to save that mostly for my veterans and terminators, as it is a real pain in the butt. Also, still waiting on my bases, which will hopefully be here this week, or early next.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, hopefully tonight.

later!

Bah, I suck, I didn't get around to taking pictures last night, lets hope I remember tonight...

Out of curiosity, how are you fielding Cypher? A captain with a plasma pistol and ? Or is he going to just be a display piece?

I'm probably not going to field him. I'm using the normal DA captain with the head swap as Kor'sarro Khan, going to convert one of my other captains into a Kantor. Cypher will probably get used as a captain with plasma pistol when I do, or a chapter master along side Khan so that I can use an honor guard, who Khan will probably join instead of Cypher (as I'm using Khan to represent Astellan).

Hey, i've taken some pictures of my WIP test model:

gallery_2912_5442_14419.jpg

gallery_2912_5442_4251.jpg

gallery_2912_5442_3811.jpg

gallery_2912_5442_6507.jpg

The armor is 50/50 Chardon/Black, which makes it appear black, but it still allows me to shade it darker with black ink or lining, the robe is Calthan, shaded with layers of watered down delvan mud, then sponged onto with Scorched Brown. The weathering on the armor is sponged on terracotta and chainmail.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the huge delay, I've had a family emergency as well as having to totally redo my army list since I found out my main strategy was against the combat-squad rules.

I'm still building and about to paint, here is my revamped army list for your approval:

1 Belial: TH/SS

1 Interrogator Chaplain: TDA

5 Deathwing Terminators: TH/SS, PW/SB, CML/CF/SB, PF/SB/Apoth, PF/SB/Standard

5 Deathwing Terminators: TH/SS, PW/SB, CML/CF/SB, PF/SB, PF/SB

10 Tactical Squad: Multi-melta, Meltagun, Sergeant with Power Fist

10 Tactical Squad: Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Sergeant with Power Weapon

10 Tactical Squad: Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Sergeant with Power Weapon

6 Ravenwing Bikers: 2 Meltaguns

1 Ravenwing Attack Bike: Multi-melta

6 Ravenwing Bikers: 2 Meltaguns

1 Ravenwing Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Total: 2000

It's all assembled except the bikes, which are about 40% complete, although I'm still waiting on some bits (helmets, backpacks).

Man you are off to a good start! Really liking the color scheme you got going on. Excellent work. Although I must say that the terracotta weathering seems a bit off to me. As for your list, this seems like a great excuse to get creative with a unit of company veterans. Awesome work brother keep us posted.

Brom MKIV is correct about the Robes. A bit too dark brown for me. I think it needs to be a bit lighter.

I love what you did on the armour. Please tell me how you did it. I always wanted to try that, but I

could never get it like that. I love it. Just lighten up or whiten the brown abit. I guess this way you get

a good contrast from the black armour to the robes. Right now, it is just too dark, and the robe takes a

bit of the awsomeness away.

Archived