Wings of Sanguinius & Skies of Blood

Chairman_woo

Simple question really, do Librarian dreads that have cast Wings get to make the mishap free landing via skies of blood just like Jump packers? I cant find a reason why not after looking at the books but I wouldent mind a bit of confirmation before I "drop" it on some poor unsuspecting souls (see what I did there).

Further to that, would said Librarian dread (or any librarian with the wings power for that matter) benefit from descent of angels when doing so? Naturally you cant use wings comming out of deepstrike as you dont have chance to cast it before, but Skies of blood takes place after so presumably DOA would come into effect? Or does it have to be a moddel equipt with a Jump pack rather than just jump infantry, thus making DOA not applicable to Wings of sanguinius at any time?

Sorry if this has been covered but failed to dredge up anything especially relevant with the search.

"Models with jump packs can make a more controlled descent..."

"move as if he had a jump pack"

Dreadnoughts don't literally have jump packs but disembarkation counts as moving ergo "[disembark] as if he had a jump pack"

I'll tentatively say yes, but aye, no DoA as by RAW it's bound to wargear.

No. Same reasoning, for rules as intended, as why he wouldn't be able to Deep Strike in with the squad. For rules as written...I would say no, but I can see how it could be "doctored" to a yes. Overall: NO.

EDIT: I found a counter-doctoring. "It allows the librarian to move as if he had a jump pack." [emphasis added] The Librarian only moves as if he had a jump pack, nothing else. If we want to be technical about what "movement" is, it will be anyhting covered in the "movement phase" section of the main rulebook, which does not include deepstriking. [/thread]

Can't deepstrike from reserve with wings as you can't roll for a unit off the table that could die from it, thereby prevent deployment. It's different to disembarking from an extant 'on the table' unit despite the method of placement using DS placement rules. (Oh god another GOI-like problem). Psychic powers can be rolled for while a passenger... ergo, jump pack movement enabled.

*shrug*

It's quite FAQ worthy if you ask me as it could go either way. Hardliner RAWyers would say moving like a jump pack =/= equipped with a jump pack. RAIyers would say nahh, he flies, he can fly down.

...hence my 'tentative' yes.

Thanks guys sounds like you feel largeley like I do, allows a controlled enough descent to avoid the auto Daingerous terrain on scatter, but not the full endlessly practiced to perfection techneque marines with actual JP's have (Cant see librarian dreads practicing their jump techneque every day). Not like its that big of an advantage as the Libby will still scatter up to 2d6 so Its not like you can do craft "commando" drops in between enemy units and the like.

well examples from other dex dont realy work , but chaos has jump packs and wings that let you move like jump packs , if they were the same then a winged HQ would be unable to ride in a rhino. It is not the case , so a dread libby cant use DoA too with wings of S used.

well examples from other dex dont realy work , but chaos has jump packs and wings that let you move like jump packs , if they were the same then a winged HQ would be unable to ride in a rhino. It is not the case , so a dread libby cant use DoA too with wings of S used.

Agreed, no Jump pack no DOA. And unfortunaely having now read the Skies of blood rule in my codex (finnaly have it to hand again) the same cavat appears to exist there. I.e. it specifies moddels equipt with a jump pack rather than "jump infantry". Shame, guess I'll have to stick with running the gauntlet of daingrous terrain (I dont like the 1 in 6 chance of a immobile dread but sometimes it better than leaving it in the raven for another turn).

Careful, wings doesn't say they move as jump infantry, it says move as if they had a jump pack. Disembarkation counts as moving... see where this goes? Wings reads "move [disembark] as if he had a jump pack"

This is why some of us are 'ok' with it... but no DoA as that requires the wargear itself.

If I understand you correctly, he wouldn't be able to cast wings beacuse he's in a transport? But the Stormraven is a transport that can carry jump infantry, so a libby (any libby) should be able to cast wings and then take a leap out of the raven.

This is really something to FAQ, I don't see it getting abused or even used, but it's up there (with the death mask vs walkers! :( )

PS. Don't even open the DM vs walkers can, It was a joke.

Archived