Deathwing Assault Squads?

LardO'Blood

I usually use 3 LCs, 1 TH&SS, and 1 HF&CF, with Belial. Add Apothecary if not attached to an LRC.

Considering Belial is a really great HQ if you are using any Deathwing anyways, why not take him? His Apothecary means that taking one wound on the Terminators makes his points cost back, and is invaluable if footslogging. The banner is a great way to bring Deathwing up to the standard of most killy assault units, minus their Initiative and Weapon Skill. 5 Attacks (4 for CF/TH) on the charge is very impressive, on par with heroes.

Actually, I think using an assault only squad is missing out one of the few good things we have!

I can understand going more to assault or more to shooty but... 100%?

My standard config is

Sarge with power weapon and storm bolter

Heavy weapon and power fist (storm bolter if CML)

Chain fist and storm bolter

Claws

TH/SS

This unit is not UBER at any objective but can deal with pretty much anything (except MC... they have a hard time there).

I ussually run my terminator CC squad(s) exactly what you guys already posted:3 LC's (including a standard armed with LC's), 1 TH + SS, 1 HF + PF.

Not to get too much into another Deathwing tactica, but I think its worth saying that you diminish your squads potential if you dilute its purpose too much. For example: I have a "tactical" set up, and also an "assault" set-up. The importance of making sure that your squads can do exactly what their name sake entails is critical in a Deathwing army. My squads are either really good at slinging rounds down range, or slicing and dicing in CC.

A tactical set up includes 1 Sgt w/ SB+PW, 2 SB+PF, 1 SB+CF, and 1 AC+PF. This type of unit can ussually do pretty well when it comes to most battlefield situations. I.E. tactical set up. Keep in mind throughout the battle in question, that all your squads should be supporting each other.

I'm a big fan of having a unit of CC geared Terminators along with Belial roaring out of a LRC and annihilating anyone in front of them. And they will carve up most units they run into pretty well. If a multi unit charge can be done, go for it. The last thing you want is to charge some stupid guard squad or worn down ork mob and be caught with your proverbial pants down after you wipe them out on the charge.

Oh, and one last thing before I stop yapping... although the afformentioned unit is a great set up for tournaments and a good all rounder, against certain opponents, you may want to have a unit consisting soley of thunderhammers. If your going to go LRC'less and happen to want a squad of tough as nails CC

terminators in your list, these puppies will do just fine. You figure against high initiative opponents or monstrous creatures, that storm shield (3+ invulnerable save from shooting and CC if your opponents cool with you having the same kinda gear as the rest of the kids in terminator armor) is awesome. And since you won't have any guns to shoot (unless you feel a cyclone is in order, and YES, you can mount that on a terminator no matter how he is armed), when you deep strike in, just run them to get good dispersion.

Anywho, best of luck. And if you have anymore questions, be sure to put'em up.

Oh, and if you choose to add a chaplin to that unit? It readily becomes a passable tier 1 assault unit. I.E. "Death Star Unit"

Quick thoughts:

- I try thinking my options without the "please, can we pretend we're a 5th edition codex" issue. It makes me feel like I'm asking for an edge and I'd hate to hear "yeah, but if we had played the REAL rules" song. But if your friendly games are cool, nice :lol:

- Belial + chaplain + hammenators build up to a sweet 450 points. Add a LRC for a pricy 700 points unit... which will seldomly make its points back :mellow: They WILL kill mos of what they touch though <_<

If you could use new Equipment I would be running the following Hamemr unit.

Belial (twin claws)

Interigator Chaplain (In termi armor)

TH/SS

TH/SS apothecary

TH/SS Banner

TH/SS Cyclone ML

Lighting Claw Termi.

Charging Out of a LRC.

Cyclone gets 2 shots at S 8 to pop transports, LRC gives you grenades for charging into cover and a multi melta shot if needed. The whole squad gets Feel no pain from the apoth, +1 A from the banner. You all have 2+ saves, 2 5++ saves, 4 3++ saves, and 1 4++ save.

On the charge you get 11 initiative 5 PW attacks, re-rolling hits, 6 of which also reroll wounds. 5 Initiative 4 PW attacks, re-rolling Hits and wounds. and 16 TH attacks re-rolling hits. You have SS to absorb PW hits, and 2+/4+ fnp against everything else.

Archived