Finally Played a Tournament with my Deathwing

littlbitz

Well, its been literally years since I have started what was to be a Death Wing army, and after getting a couple of squads together they sat on a shelf as I went back to my Space Wolves.

So, yesterday as I was putting the finishing touches on a Thunder Wolf I saw my abandoned Death Wing army on the shelf, with a Belial I had modelled that was covered in dust. I suddenly got the urge to pull them down, I painted up Cpt. Vinidicis (Belial) and quickly wrote a 1000 point list to take to the Tournament.'

Here is the list I took:

Death Wing of the Angels of Vindication

HQ: Brother Captain Vindicis (Belial)

Squad 1: Heavy Flamer, Chainfist

Squad 2: Assault Cannon, Thunder Hammer and Stormshield

Elite: Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer, extra armor

Heavy Support: Land Raider

995 Points

Game 1 was vs. Tau Empire with a Battle suit commander, 2x Crisis Teams of 2 Suits each. All of his suits had Plasma and Missile pods with targeting array (I would have went with Multi-trackers), 2x Hammerheads, a squad of Stealth suits, a Squad of Kroot, and a footslogging Fire Warriors squad.

The Mission was an Objective mission as primary, with KP for a secondary, and have a unit in the enemy deployment zone for tertiary.

I had first turn, I decided to play aggresively, and used deep strike to drop the Heavy Flamer squad and Belial in close, taking out most of his Kroot in one go, as the rest of my army advanced (rest being a landraider full of Termies and a Dread ;) )

He focused all of his fire on the squad, The Heavy Flamer and Belial were all that remained. They split up and began taking out the rest of the army as my Dread began to focus fire on the Suits and the Landraider began shooting at the Hammer heads.

By the end of the game, the Tau were tabled. A 20 point win for the Death Wing.

Game 2 saw me facing a Blood Angels force with 2x Librarians, a Librarian Dread, a small Jump Pack assualt squad, a Squad in a Drop Pod with a Sang Priest, and a Squad in a Rhino.

This mission was Board Corners as Primary with Kill the enemy Commander as Secondary I forget what the Tertiary was.

I play conservitavely this game, as I know I can't afford to get into bogged down combats with the Blood Angels, I concentrate on one side of the board and force him to come to me, my Land raider remains the star of the game as at this points level he doesn't really have any ranged way of dealing with it.

At the end of the Game the Death Wing pull out a 14 Point Victory with me having owning a Board Corner and contesting the one corner he had a Troop Choice in.

The 3rd Game was against Tyranids. With Doom of Mal in a Pod, Hive Tyrant and 2x Guards, 3x Warriors with Guns, 2x Guants (one squad of each type) and a squad of stealers.

5 Objective Markers form the Primary Objective with a secondary of KPs and a Tertiary of "Kill the Psycher" I don't have one but the mission states I have to kill a target model.

This army just proved to be too much for the poor Deathwing to handle. In the end I had killed 2 of his 3 Troop choices, but he had strung out the Gene Stealers across 2 Objectives beating me 2 objectives to 1. He also killed the Target model. I did manage to win the KPs.

The Tyranids went on to win overall and I ended up with Best Painted.

2 wins and 1 loss, not bad for my First outing I think.

Not bad for a puppy... and a bandwagon one too! Since we now have an over the top codex... xD

Congrats on the results, it seems you had a bit of luck on the Kroot, but skill also accounts for something ;)

Would you mind sharing some "reflections" about where you find your list to perform above average and where to be lacking?

I really think the "Luck" part of that opening move was hoping not for a poor scatter.

Once I hit, the Heavy Flamer really took its toll on the poor Kroot, as my opponent had them all bunched up in a wood.

Some reflection: Hmmm... with only 3 games under my belt its a little early to tell. But at 1000 points there's not a whole lot to be done with the list.

The Heavy Flamer squad was great. especially at this points level, as was the Assault Cannon. I did give the Cyclone some thought, but as the Death Wings is of the subpar variety, I really think I'm going to stick with Assault Cannons.

Belial is well, Belial. I found that if I don't expect much out of him then he typically performs well enough, I just have to remember that he is no Wolf Lord. :)

The true star of the day was my Land Raider, it survived all 3 games, and kept me in the game the whole time even in the game I lost at the end.

In 2 weeks time we have the next Army Builder event, which will be 3 Games at 1250. I'm really not sure where to go from here. With only 13 models at 1000 points, I'm really thinking I need to add another Death Wing squad to the mix.

Another DW squad sounds like something sensible :)

And I use to think the same way about 1 shot CML... but they are a magnificent camping unit: they are too big a threat to ignore and if you sit them in an objective with cover, you need quite a bit of firepower/CC to dig them out, while the rest of the list does its job :)

FYI, at 2k, I play with 21 terminators xDDD

I've been thinking on that option as well Flinch. I think I'll post a few different lists in the Army lists sub-forum and try to project the list in blocks all the way to 1850 to get some feedback.

In two weeks we go to 1250, then to 1500, then the big jump to 1850. Should be fun as long as I can keep up with the strict paint schedule.

Archived