Vanguard Vets

Glitch85

It is totally dependent on the rest of your army. For myself I use them as a deep striking "bubble wrap" or sorts to tie up enemy units while the rest of my army DOA's into position

3 to 4 SS's

1 Glaive

1 PF

5 jp's

that is my typical loadout.

Ashton

I prefer to keep mine cheaper, accepting they are a small squad and forgoing the storm shields.

I run 6 models, jump packs, 2 lightning claws, 1 thunder hammer, 1 power weapon.

I run mine as 7 strong with Jump Packs and dual power fists for the Sergeant.

Other than looking cool, why the dual fists? Wouldn't it be preferable to have 2 models with fists for the same cost (4 fist attacks, 6 on the charge rather than 3/4 on the charge)

Though to be fair, my Vanguard has 1 model with twin claws because it looks cool, despite my knowing its more effective to have 2 models with 1 claw each.

If I ran these, I'd run them much the same as my Honor Guard (which are in a RB)

x3 Power Weaps (I actually use LC's because they look cooler)

x3 Storm Shields

(All on same guys)

x1 Vanilla

x1 Sang Noviate - which would probably become a thunder hammer or pair of LC's

Other than looking cool, why the dual fists? Wouldn't it be preferable to have 2 models with fists for the same cost (4 fist attacks, 6 on the charge rather than 3/4 on the charge)

Though to be fair, my Vanguard has 1 model with twin claws because it looks cool, despite my knowing its more effective to have 2 models with 1 claw each.

No other reason than looking cool

unpainted version :devil:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/Giladis/P1120290.jpg

No other reason than looking cool

unpainted version :devil:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/Giladis/P1120290.jpg

Can't argue with the rule of cool.

I either run five (PF & SS + 4x PW) or eight (TH & SS + 4x LC & SS, Power sword & melter pistol, bolt pistol & chainsword). I have found the five man squad is good enough to fulfill their purpose, the rest of the points can go elsewhere.

0b :P

Here's how I kit out my Vanguard:

- If a model gets an upgrade, he only gets *one* upgrade, whether it's an offensive upgrade (power weapon) or defensive upgrade (storm shield).

- For each model that gets an upgrade, there is another model in the unit with no upgrade, or a model with a defensive upgrade.

- I never take more than two storm shields in the unit.

- I always take a power fist on the sergeant.

So some example loadouts I've used with success are:

- marine with PF, two marines each with a single Lit Claw, one marine with a Storm shield, 3-4 vanilla marines in a Land Raider.

- marine with PF, seven vanilla marines, with Jump Packs

- marine with PF, seven vanilla marines, in a LR.

- three marines with single Lit Claws, three vanilla marines, in a LR.

My Vanguards *always* have a Sanguine Priest tagging along (hiding in the Land Raider if I brought one) and very often a Librarian with Unleash Rage (grants Preferred Enemy) and Sanguine Sword (Str 10). I also partner them up with a tactical squad that will give them supporting fire and gladly accept the protection of the Vanguard.

Interesting you'd use VV as ground based troops - I opt'd for the honor guard to do that job as they get the "free" non-IC priest in that unit - though that said your using a land raider and HG cant go over 5 - so thats fair enough - I just use the razor back and plan the charge one turn in advance (or lure people close to my razor so they can get out and move 6" and assault 6")

I used to run 8 VV with TLC, PF, PW for over 300 points. I dropped those extra wound models and run the same setup as 5 models now. It's significantly more successful!

This weekend I'm planning on running 10 strong and combat squadding for 450 points (225 pts each side): TLC, PF, PW, PW/SS, Glaive/SS.

I figure my 5 man VV have been so successful at killing...well everything... that a SS each squad and a little more power will do just as well. My Fast Attack slot is packed right now and it's nice to be able to combat squad the VV and still use 6 Attack Bikes.

I used to run 8 VV with TLC, PF, PW for over 300 points. I dropped those extra wound models and run the same setup as 5 models now. It's significantly more successful!

This weekend I'm planning on running 10 strong and combat squadding for 450 points (225 pts each side): TLC, PF, PW, PW/SS, Glaive/SS.

I figure my 5 man VV have been so successful at killing...well everything... that a SS each squad and a little more power will do just as well. My Fast Attack slot is packed right now and it's nice to be able to combat squad the VV and still use 6 Attack Bikes.

Is that with JP or without??

A bit off topic, but why do I see so much VV with Glaive and SS? I was thinking that a Glaive is a two handed-weapon and can't be used with a SS.

And isn't a Claw always better than a Glaive? Thanks for help!

Glaives being two handed prevent getting the +1 attack for a second weapon, it doesn't prevent using a shield.

A bit off topic, but why do I see so much VV with Glaive and SS? I was thinking that a Glaive is a two handed-weapon and can't be used with a SS.

And isn't a Claw always better than a Glaive? Thanks for help!

Under the circumstances VV are most likely to find themseves (vs marines/T4) a glaive performs marginaly better than a claw math-hammer wize apparantly. If you give a Vv sgt. a Storm shield, apparantly its best to give him the glaive. Cant say Ive done the maths myself just passing on the reason most ppl give. (that and it looks cool)

Archived