Citadel Paints - Golden Yellow

phatosen

So, doing an Imperial Fists army, and until today, I was doing good...

But ran out of my base color, Citadel Paints Golden Yellow.. Got the paint from a mate who had it for years without using it, and found the warm/orange color perfect for my Fists. But then I ran out, and thought: No problem, I'll just get some more!

But to my surprise, it was not that easy... See for yourself.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7995/colorhell01.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1907/colorhell02.jpg

What's going on? Did they change the color or something?

My question to you is, do you guys know any other color range that will do as a paint for the rest of my army? Would just be a tad nicer to have an army in the same color. :P

Been looking at some Compatibility Charts, but no way to tell which Golden Yellow they resemble, the "new" or the "old"...

I think the yellow/orange colors changed a bit over the years, especially when Fiery Orange and Bad Moon Yellow went OOP.

I mostly use FolkArt craft paints, and the following I find are very good matches:

FA School Bus Yellow = GW Golden Yellow

FA Yellow Light = GW Sunburst Yellow

Give them a try if you find them.

Alternatively, giving the new GY a wash of Sepia could make it look closer to your old color, if you are willing to try. What could you lose? You can always strip, as it looks outset as it is anyway.

I mostly use FolkArt craft paints, and the following I find are very good matches:

Thanks for your reply, will definitely check those out...

However I'm afraid to ask... But would that be old GW Golden Yellow or new..? :P

Thanks for your reply, will definitely check those out...

However I'm afraid to ask... But would that be old GW Golden Yellow or new..? :P

The pot in your picture is ancient, and I wouldn't know ;) But it does seem to match the golden yellow I have that's in the screwtop GW pots that magically seal themselves incredibly bad when they dry..

Ah, I see... Had a feeling the pot would be ancient. ;)

Been trying mixing a few drops of the new GY with just a tiny bit of Bestial Brown, and the result isn't too shabby I must say... Not sure the difference would even be noticable on infantry... but vehicles is another story completely.. but should do for a temporary solution...

thanks for your help mate. :)

Hmmm, not sure if they change colors but Codex Grey bought 2 yrs ago is darker than it is now, today's CG is closer to my old Fortress Grey. Now i can't get my terrain to look uniform. Don't know if it's just a fresh pot - old pot thing.

On a side note: Try checking out VMC's yellows, way better coverage and range. Put a hematite bead in the bottles for ease of mixing and you're... Golden? hehe sorry...

Coat d'Arms usually have the "old" GW colours, because CdA actually are "the old Citadel paints". At some point of time they split for unknown reasons

Actually the reasons are far from secret: HMG produced the original Citadel Colour line for GW, GW then ditched them for a cheaper (in every sense of the word) manufacturer, a few years later someone got fed up of the poorer quality paints and decided to ask HMG if they could produce the same paint for them as they had for GW, HMG agree'd and the result was the Coat d'Arms brand - which has subsequently changed ownership a few times but is still produced by HMG.

Archived