Converting Praetorians - for idiots

Hokay, here's the models you'll need:

1: SM Terminator

2: Eldar Guardian

3: Ork Boy

Since I'm no good at pictures, here's how you do it...it's not particularly easy for newcomers, though. First, Truescale the Terminator so that it looks like a regular SM. Do this by GS'ing in the back of the leg greaves and putting in the necessary details. Actually, there are bunches of Truescaling tutorials you could look at, so I won't waste your time. After that, use the 'Grey Knights' shaving and carving method to put the Terminator helmet into a pointed 'knight' helm, complete with pin-viced holes. Then, take the pointy head from an Eldar Guardian and trim it so that none of the face is still there, it's just the point. Cut off what you need to from the Termy helm and glue on the helmet. Lastly, take the top-knot from the Ork Boy and trim it down to just the hair and pin/glue it onto the point of the helmet.

Voila!*

*(Voila! actually means, this is pretty tricky if you're trying to get it to look like something right out of the HH artbooks. You're going to have to be fairly skillful with GS if you want it to look right. Truescaling is painfully difficult for new people...I still won't touch it...and then you'll have to get the halberd created and that's a whole can of worms I have no intention of opening. Good luck)

He said PRAETORIANS, not the Adeptus Custodes.

By saying Paetorian I think you are actually asking how to make your Marines look more "Roman" in style. There are two main defining armour details that define a classical Roman Praetorian Guard soldier. The first is the crested helmet (of which there are two main styles - 1; 2). The first helmet design was common with officers of both the legions and with the Praetorians (in general). The second is technically a Centurion (officer's) helmet, but I know of no historical data that says it was specifically excluded from Praetorian officers. But we are looking at style/design, not historical accuracy.

The second refining detail is the lorica segmentata, or classic segmented armour.

A third defining detail is the skirt with leather strips. Sometimes the entire skirt was made of the studded leather strips, sometimes it was just at the front. This is something you see in Ultramarines imagery all over more recent codex books.

Well, if you want something "off the shelf," so to speak, look no further than the Ultramarines Honor Guard that come with Marneus Calgar(one has a crested helmet) or Captain Sicarius (note the helmet). If you want something a little more custom, here are some suggestions.

Simple Paetorian/Roman crest helms can be done in a solid metal style (more Greek than Roman, technically) by laminating a few thin strips of plasticard glued in place on top of the helmet ducted ridge. Glue one at a time and let it fully cure before adding the next. Keep stacking until you get a height you like. Add thin slices of thin diameter plasticard rod for rivets.

The horse hair version is a little more complicated if you are not familier with using green stuff. Put a couple pins in along the helmet ridge for support. Add a small wad of green stuff and push in some lines with a bladed sculpting tool.

Hope this helps.

If he is speaking about Romans, then AoBR sergeant comes in mind, because he has that Roman style leather straps. I'd also use the pre-heresy shoulderpads, since they closely resemble the lorica segmentata pauldrons - I think there were some companies producing these pre-heresy bits, but can't remember which ones, For the look of these shoulderpads, just check my sig - the space wolf terminator is wearing these.

Thanks for the help here, guys. Yes, I realise my ambiguous post was rather silly. :P I mean like Roman Praetorians, although I am planning to have a Custodian at some stage so that helps too. :P

I've thought of the Honour Guard models, but also Sicarius.... perhaps get Sicarius, steal his head, get the Command Squad Company Champion body, then get some epic halberd.... sounds like a plan!

Any more help greatly appreciated. Also, thanks for the help so far!

Thanks for the help here, guys. Yes, I realise my ambiguous post was rather silly. :P I mean like Roman Praetorians, although I am planning to have a Custodian at some stage so that helps too. :P

I've thought of the Honour Guard models, but also Sicarius.... perhaps get Sicarius, steal his head, get the Command Squad Company Champion body, then get some epic halberd.... sounds like a plan!

Any more help greatly appreciated. Also, thanks for the help so far!

Check out this thread - it appears that the OP is attempting a similar project.

Archived