200 pts of Veterans

Viray

I want to make a 200 pts Veteran Squad to both fill out some pts in my 2000 pts list as well as function as a decent kill team. Right now, I have the squad at seven members; four are armed with power weapons and the last three are equipped with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon. However, I have the squad mounted in a Rhino which, of course, means they cannot assault the turn they disembark. I was debating switching out the three normal Marines' loadouts with just regular bolters for some rapid fire fun. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I wanted a close combat oriented focus. I'd love to add more power weapons, but, as it stands, I am already at the 200 pts limit I imposed. However, there are some variations I was playing around with, but most involved dropping members or switching around some wargear :lol:

As for the lack of invulnerable save, I thought about pairing them with Azrael during the larger games though I am pretty sure such an expensive unit running around in only a Rhino would draw a lot of fire.

I dunno, are close combat vets even comparable in regards to effectiveness when compared to more shooty styled vets?

5 vets

1 meltagun, 4 combi meltas

1 drop pod

Just to clarify, I was not counting the cost of the transport towards the 200 pts limit. Either way, that sounds like a real mean unit.

DA Drop pod = reserves = turn 2 or 3 landing...

Too many points to gamble for my taste.

Hmmm, so you would prefer a Rhino or Razorback as a transport? I definitely agree on the unreliability of deep striking, but the issue of the Rhino and Razorback's incredibly thin armor has always bothered me (despite this, I still opted for the transport as of now). Do you have any suggestions on cutting down incoming, enemy fire?

I have had good results with the melta drop pod at least, dosent really matter that it arrives on turn 3, it usually makes up its point by point blank owning a vehicle, an very often the guy with the meltagun has been alive to fire it again the turn after.

Its very fun to drop into a IG vehicle cluster and go: "They all have meltas, yeah ^_^"

My only experience with DA Pods was at 2k, running 2 DN with MM/HF in Pods.

They consistently refused to land... and those were 400 points ^_^

I guess I'm biased by bad experiences.

As to what transport to use... I don't run greenwing, so I can't help much I'm afraid. But going for proper deployment + 12 inch run + smoke should allow you to get pretty close to the enemy armour... or at least take away heat from other armour you run.

Archived