Pondering the Blood angels.

Pavement Artist

Hello folks!

Of late, ive been looking towards projects to start after i finish my long suffering dark eldar army. Predictably i fancied a change from being the scum of the universe so i had a gander at space marines, particularly the non codex chaps.

Ive been a long time Black Templar fan and love the imagery and the play style behind that chapter but i fancied something first founding, i wanted a Primarch to get behind (I still love you Dorn!) so i started looking at the options.

I've tried space wolves but they never really worked for me, besides theyre quite an overpopulated chapter in terms of players especially on my regular gaming nights. Dark angels never did it for me and most of my friends seem to like them so i figure they would do a much better job of building an army.

Then we have the Blood angels. I'll admit i've never given much thought to them as a chapter and therefore i was pretty unfamiliar with the bulk of the legions lore. Sure i knew about the black rage and Dante slice and dicing the ork horde during the second Armageddon war but id never dug into what makes them tick, where they come from. None of this meaty stuff.

Lets face it, the Bloodies have a fantastic history. Sanguinius was a ridiculously honourable and nice chap compared to the other primarchs and truly a rock for the Imperium when it was in it's infancy. I love the psychic scars that the legion carry to this day, forever haunted by the brutal slaying of their gene father. I love the constant war between these outwardly noble and cultured warriors who are constantly fighting an internal battle to repress this ugly and brutal impulse.

Im also very impressed by the enthusiasm and love for the chapter from you guys and would love to be a part of it. My main question i suppose would be, what would be a good place to start (apart from the codex!) and do i have a viable army build going if i want to lob my tactical chaps into souped up rhinos?

Hello folks!

*snip*

...do i have a viable army build going if i want to lob my tactical chaps into souped up rhinos?

What's your model list, entire?

I'm sure many people here would get a kick out of trying to build err Bloody lists with your existing models while suggesting which models to buy. We'll be able to give you at least a counts as list at least before you start butchering your working Templars.

Hello folks!

Of late, ive been looking towards projects to start after i finish my long suffering dark eldar army. Predictably i fancied a change from being the scum of the universe so i had a gander at space marines, particularly the non codex chaps.

Ive been a long time Black Templar fan and love the imagery and the play style behind that chapter but i fancied something first founding, i wanted a Primarch to get behind (I still love you Dorn!) so i started looking at the options.

I've tried space wolves but they never really worked for me, besides theyre quite an overpopulated chapter in terms of players especially on my regular gaming nights. Dark angels never did it for me and most of my friends seem to like them so i figure they would do a much better job of building an army.

Then we have the Blood angels. I'll admit i've never given much thought to them as a chapter and therefore i was pretty unfamiliar with the bulk of the legions lore. Sure i knew about the black rage and Dante slice and dicing the ork horde during the second Armageddon war but id never dug into what makes them tick, where they come from. None of this meaty stuff.

Lets face it, the Bloodies have a fantastic history. Sanguinius was a ridiculously honourable and nice chap compared to the other primarchs and truly a rock for the Imperium when it was in it's infancy. I love the psychic scars that the legion carry to this day, forever haunted by the brutal slaying of their gene father. I love the constant war between these outwardly noble and cultured warriors who are constantly fighting an internal battle to repress this ugly and brutal impulse.

Im also very impressed by the enthusiasm and love for the chapter from you guys and would love to be a part of it. My main question i suppose would be, what would be a good place to start (apart from the codex!) and do i have a viable army build going if i want to lob my tactical chaps into souped up rhinos?

Deldar just were visited by Santa-GW ;)

The minis, the fluff and the Dex are delightful. You swap NOW?! :tu:

*facial tick develops at Dorn getting ditched for a mutant :lol: *

I really like what BL did with the few snippets of Sang and the Bloods in 'Horus Rising' [i don't think they got much more air-time after that....]

Also the Tempus Fugitives forum had some neat entries for the Bloods [and indeed all of the Legions] that might help stir you onwards in their pdf army lists.

I know Wilhelm, this is probably going to be a new year project. Ive already got a metric ton of the new dark eldar models to assemble, just fancied not being evil for once!

Im rocking my Templars to the doubles tournament, i never forget Dorn.

As for models, my Templars are foot sloggers and the Bloodies are going to be a new project done from the ground up. I was thinking of going mech with plenty of lucifer engines gunning it. I purchased the codex last night so i may have a bash at some lists later on.

Welcome to the Emperors most noble chapter Kraine!

I'm glad to see you leave those fanatical templars behind, they are a devoted chapter, but nothing more than that really. We, on the other hand are struggling to become what the Emperor wanted us to be. Everyday is a war, everyday we must win. Loosing that war is worse than death.

Tacticals are sometimes frown upon by BA players, but they are still space marines and they might not be as fun as assault marines, but they do their job. I usually have 1 or 2 tactical squads in my army.

I'm problably not the right guy to give you advice on how to build an BA army since I came here motsly because of the Dreadnoughts that BA bring to the table. Furiosos and DC Dreads are killers! Fast Vindicators, Baals and regular Predators are also really great. The Stormraven is either hated or loved it seems, I have not tried it myself, but it brings another flavour to the game.

All I can say is welcome, you will not regret it! (and get some dreads)

Cheers Judaz. Aye i remember when rumours for the BA were flying around and folks were talking about libbie dreadnoughts.

"Oh that wont do that, thatd just be sickening"

"Oh....there they are."

I might look at an assault squad heavy army, it is only fluffy after all. If i do go Mech, i promise to still get in peoples faces like Blood Angels do!

As I say when I'm playing all kinds of games: flamethrowers always wins! Someone starts pushing you in a bar, flame him. Someone shoots at you with a 9mm, flame him. The ancient one awakens, flame him. Someone hides in cover with a heavy weapon squad, flame 'em!

Archived