Land Raider lists?

Hergrmir

I wonder if they're at all doable in sort of 1500 to 2000 point games? Presumably they'd be way less viable under 1500 points. But what are people's experiences?

I've been thinking of doing an armour-oriented Blood Angels force, but Rhino and Razorspam already happen at the LGS. Nobody AFAIK is doing a Raider-heavy force, whether BTs or BAs, and it seems like it'd be pretty cost effective for me. All I'd need to really do is magnetise my Jump Packs on my 40+ models, and pick up, say, 3 or 4 tanks over the next couple of months.

Any experience, advice, or theory would be appreciated.

I tried to run one with Seth and HG, but found it to just be slow. Plus, you can do so much more with the points left over after getting a Razorback or rhino. If you ran 4 LR's with 4x10 man RAS, then you would have to squeeze in a cheap HQ and not get the best options. For the same points I field Seth and HG in Razorback, several Lazbacks, a DC in rhino, a 10 ten man assault squad, and 2 Baal preds. A lot of armies will just outmanuever or just swarm you one at a time. If doing one, I'd tried and get Assault termies in one and change one LR into 2 Baal preds.

I've gotten tabled pretty hard by Lan-d Raider-heavy Blakc Templar forces before; they are pretty devastating. I can't speak to BA strengths with them, but you said to include theory, so away I go!

1) Go whole hog. Other vehicles are nice and work well, but don't start throwing in Rhinos and Razorbacks. Not only will that mess up your theme, it'll weaken whichever squad gets it compared to the rest of your force. Also, jump packs will only hinder you further as they receive all of the intial pain from enemy non-anti-tank weapons; only use if you're counting on some Heroically Intervening Vanguard veterans to bolster critical combats.

2) DON'T DEEP STRIKE LAND RAIDERS! Just don't, unless you have a Homing Beacon on the board.

3) Try pairing up with Stormravens. Ever seen the scars on a shiny Land Raider hull from a melta weapon? Not pretty. A Stormraven, however, has better chances of surviving a melta weapon in range to use the melta rule than a Land Raider does; even if you decide against for whatever reason, consider.

You asked for two cents and got four. What luck! :HQ:

I tried to run one with Seth and HG, but found it to just be slow. Plus, you can do so much more with the points left over after getting a Razorback or rhino. If you ran 4 LR's with 4x10 man RAS, then you would have to squeeze in a cheap HQ and not get the best options. For the same points I field Seth and HG in Razorback, several Lazbacks, a DC in rhino, a 10 ten man assault squad, and 2 Baal preds. A lot of armies will just outmanuever or just swarm you one at a time. If doing one, I'd tried and get Assault termies in one and change one LR into 2 Baal preds.

This reminds me of a list I played against that was very deadly. It had a LRC and 2 stormravens (with only talon furioso's in each, no troops) and rhinos or razorbacks. It was pretty nasty.

EDIT: :blush:? ...hmm quoted wrong reply. Meant to quote Erasmus of Baal. :)

I have never run this BA list, but here it is. I don't remember what point it come out to, but it should be close to 1850.

Cpt w/ PW

4X 5 man Assault Marine Sgt w/ PW each squad with land raider redeemer w/ multi melta and extra armor.

4X Priests

I have seen this list run to great success before at 2k points

Mephiston

Th/SS Termies in a Redeemer

Th/SS termies in a Redeemer

2 x Sanguinary Priest

1 RAS in a Land Raider

2 x RAS in TLLC Razorbacks

I think all the RAS had meltas and that was about it.

I run 2 LR's in my army, one with some DC and a Chaplain and the other with TH/SS Terms with a Termie Librarian w/ SS.

Both are fairly devastating, but since they are the only armour in my army, then on their own they tend to get shot down fairly easily. :lol:

I also run some Scouts (mainly for sitting on objectives) and 10 x Assault Marines with a Captain. I have 4 Infernus Pistols in that unit, but that's after my 2 IP failed me miserabley and meant the squad got shot up and chewed to bits by Termies. -.-

I do enjoy using Land Raiders. I would have used the standard Raider, but I really like Assault Cannons so I went with Crusaders instead. 4 Hurrican Bolters can be pretty damn devastating when they are all in Rapid Fire Range. Add that to the vehicle-popping power (okay, maybve only light vehicles) of the Redning Assault Cannon, then Raiders can be freakin' amazing!

Land Raiders are always fun to play with especially if you've taken the extra time to paint it well with free-hand drawing. This is the list I run with Land Raiders. The fun of this list is when my opponent tailored his list to have 15+ lascannons :P made for a very interesting game. Quite gut wrenching when it was his turn to shoot, a very enjoyable game.

Librarian w/Terminator armor and storm bolter (130pts)

Assault Squad (5-man) w/Land Raider Redeemer + Multi-melta (315pts)

Assault Squad (5-man) w/Land Raider + Multi-melta (325pts)

Scout Squad (5-man) w/Locator beacon (100pts)

Scout Squad (5-man) w/Locator beacon (100pts)

Total : 1600

*The tournaments in my area are at 1600pts

Yah know honestly, locator beacon or not... deep striking the land raider is really ill-advised (imo) for several reasons.

A.) because of the assault-vehicle rule we can nearly always make a 2nd turn assault and very often a first turn assault depending upon the deployment and going second etc. Remember it's a 12" move, 2" disembark, and 6" assault... The LR casts a very large threat bubble which can really affect what your opponent does.

- when you deep strike you might (never me) come in on turn 2 and when you do come in you cannot assault.

B.) you can move 12" and still fire one weapon because of PotMS...

- when you are in reserve you can fire nothing... that is a whole lot of points waiting around to play.

C.) it has 14 armour all around! ...you want people throwing away all of their ammo at this thing and it provides fantastic cover for everything else.

- in reserve your best mobile cover and most durable unit is again waiting on the side lines.

Now looking at the list above... I just don't see 2 scout squads holding their own against your opponents entire army, clinging dearly onto that beacon, waiting for your reserves to come in.

It's definitely possible. If you're going to LRs, I recommend finding a way to run at least two, or some additional high AV distractions (Predators/Vindis).

AV14 makes it difficult for them to penetrate, but far from impossible. I've had my own LR blow up one turn 1, and I've blown up opponent's LRs turn 1. Even if the LR is supposed to be a distraction, you want to give him target priority issues. With a single LR, he's either going to ignore it or focus fire on it. With two, ignoring them becomes foolish and taking them out becomes a much bigger task.

With that said, even with BA's discount for running RAS in them, I don't think they fit well in a fast list. You're regaining the ability to assault out of the vehicle, but you're losing the potential to rush around the board.

Even though it's only AV12, I think the Storm Raven may be a better choice for BA. It has great mobility, isn't effected by the melta rule (or lance since it's already AV12), and doesn't have a side that you can potentially expose to make it an easy target. You've basically got a Vendetta/Valkyrie with no weak spot, major transport capabilities and quite a variety of weaponry. You can take one with EA for the same price as the discounted Crusader.

I quite like that 4 raider list - except the scouts.

Since I play 1500 typically I'd:

Drop 1 scout squad flat out (to drop to 1500).

Drop 1 scout squad and add x2 SP's - add them to the Libby Raider and the next raider.

Drop the TDA off the libby (wont REALLY need it with a SP behind him) and his stormbolter (really dont need that since he'll be within 12" for a bolt pistol anyway, 1 extra shot wont make much difference) and add x2 PW's to the 2 RAS squads with the SP's.

---

I love raiders, but my list only had 1 so I dropped it, but really tempted to do a "fun" list with 3 or 4 - which would only need me to buy 1 more raider. Thought prob not much fun for those in my meta as they dont really have the means to deal with multiple AV14 - except the dark eldar players.

I see where you're going bulley.You've got a point there.

My reasoning for dropping them in would to have the LR dropping and roasting your opponents anti-vehicle stuff which should then keep your LR safer even if you were only able to get a couple anti-vehicle stuff down.

I find that in most raider armies you fall down on manouverability, so i plant in a few other bits of armour to do what the BA's do best...run around the place at 18" a turn :(

i tend to go with:

Librarian w/ Infernus pistol -115

5 man DC w/ 2PW, 1PF

Land raider crusader - 395

8man AS w/ priest and PF

Land raider redeemer -438

8man AS w/ priest and PF

Land raider redeemer -438

Storm raven w/ MM, LC and hurricane sponsons-230

Storm raven w/ MM, LC and hurricane sponsons-230

Vindicator -145

1991 pts