Nid List (approx)

Tyrannofex

Tervigon

3 Zoanthropes in a spore

20 Termagants in a spore

10 genestealers

10 genestealers

7 Ymgarl Genestealers

2 Hive Guard (Crazy no LOS missile launcher dudes)

Marine List

Librarian

Null Zone, Avenger

Dreadnought

2 x TL Autocannons

Dreadnought

TL Lascannon, Heavy Flamer

Full Tactical Squad

Flamer, Power Weapon, Missile Launcher, Rhino

Full Tactical Squad

Melta, Power Fist, Missile Launcher, Rhino

2 Landspeeders

MM

2 Typhoon Landspeeders

10 Assault Marine unit

Lightning claws, 2 flamers

Predator

Lascannon Sponsons

Terrain

Terrain was fairly basic, we had a ruined building corner in each "corner" of the board about 8" in from the board edges, and a single building structure in the centre. There was also a low wall in the middle in the south and I believe a bomb crater in the north as well (very city block but on a larger scale)

Board was 6' x 4'

Mission and deployment

Mission was capture and control with 3 objectives (top left building ground floor, centre building ground floor and bottom left building 4th floor)

Deployment was pitched battle. Nids deployed first and went first

Nid deployment

Nids deployed the Tyrannofex in the shadow of the top right building, their Hive Guard and Tervigon next to their objective in the top left building. Everything else was in reserve.

Marine deployment

I split my power weapon tac squad, deploying my missile launcher half on the 2nd floor of the objective building. The remainer of the squad lined up to the right of the building next to the other Rhino with tac squad, my Librarian was in the power weapons Rhino. Behind these Rhinos my Assault squad deployed.

My two dreadnoughts deployed by the low wall, the Typhoons were behind them, my Predator was to the right of them (just next to the left wall of the bottom right building).

My other two landspeeders were in reserve.

Nid turn 1

Tyrannofex moved out of cover a little to see more of my Predator. The tervigon birthed 7 Termigants and then decided to stop spawning (much to the annoyance of my opponent who rolled snake eyes and a 5!)

Shooting saw my Rhinos out of range of his Hive Guard and his tyrannofex failing to get through my Predators armour.

Eventful!

Marine turn 1

Moved my Rhinos up a bit but wanted to keep out of his shooting range, Assault Squad plodded on behind them. My Tac marines in the objective building managed to shuffle 2" along the building.

My Typhoons moved slightly to avoid getting Ymagrl stomped in turn 2.

Shooting saw all my big guns take 3 wounds off his tyrannofex, I completely didnt know that it had a 2+ armour save!! Boy am I glad that I took me some lascannons.

Nid turn 2

His Ymagrl Genestealers arrived in my objective building (much to my confusion as I thought they were in the other one next to my Predator and tanks).

He moved his Tervigon up the left flank and his Ymagrl stealers up towards my assault squad.

His shooting flattened one of my Typhoons from Tyrannofex shooting (pointed out he should have lead with that!).

His Ymagrls charged my Assault squad, he managed to kill 5 of my marines (curse my inability to roll 3+ armour saves) whilst I managed to kill 3 of his stealers. My guys held.

Marine turn 2

Speeders didnt arrive.

I moved my Rhinos towards the objective in the centre of the board. My missile marines got a postiviely rapid 4" and were able to move up to the 3rd level of the objective building. My typhoon shuffled and my lascannon dread moved towards the Stealers.

Shooting saw me flatten his Tyrannofex with plenty of shooting to spare (Predator shot first and wounded with all his guns, he failed the two saves he was allowed to take as well).

Assault saw my dreadnought running into the stealers, they took my squad down to just the Sgt and a flamer and in response the stealers were butchered before the Dread got a chance to even look menacing. Guys massacred north.

Nid turn 3

Significant reserves came in. His termigants podded just west of my objective building and one unit of Stealers came in on my East flank in line with the building.

The Tervigon continued its amble up the flank.

Shooting started with me cursing myself for not deploying smoke on my full tacticals Rhino, the damn Hive Guard wrecked it with ease. More sand kicked in my eye when my opponent explained that the termigants were armed with devourers, this caused 3 of my Missile marines to drop dead with fright and the other two to flee back to their starting positions at the start of the game (two turns of movement scuppered in one shooting phase).

This was all (I was feeling quitely confident at this point).

Marine turn 3

My Speeders still decided to stay out of it.

My Typhoon moved 8" towards the stealers, my Autocannon Dread moved up to form a cordon on the East as well. My predator rotated to get a bead on the Tervigon.

My disembarked tactical squad managed an almighty 2" to be within 2" of the centre objective. The remaining Rhino avoided getting imobilised as he drove just North East of the objective building. It deployed smoke.

My two assault squad members jumped into the danger zone of all those devourers to be within flaming and charging range. My missile marines (missile launcher and body bag marine in toe) managed to get back exactly where they ran from the turn before with a combination of high movement and running (finally remembered it).

Shooting thinned out the stealer menace by about 3 (damn things were in cover). My predator crew werent being very smart and they found that they had blocked their line of sight for everything other than the autocannon which promptly missed the Tervigon.

My assault marine shouted "Flame on" and toasted about 3 of the Termigants, opponent actually explained what the catalyst or whatever he had been rolling for did (FNP). He then joked it would do more than that to make him flee, I promptly pointed out that as he was out of synapse he would run if I beat him in combat then called the charge!

My Lightning claw dude fluffed all but 1 of his attacks then the Assault Marine equalled his efforts by hitting twice and failing to wound. The attacks back managed to much up my purple armour but nothing much else, he promptly failed his LD check and proved once again that you should never tempt the god of fate!

However I was unable to catch the damn things being that I managed to roll a 1 on my sweeping advance roll and he rolled a 6. He ran into Synapse range.

Nid turn 4

The rest of his stuff turned up, his stealers arrived on the right flank by the other unit, his zoanthropes deep struck just north of my Predator.

His stealers rushed forwards, his turn 3 unit getting within assault range of my predator and his turn 4 unit lining up against my Typhoon.

He proceeded to gun down both of my assault marines with an offensive amount of firepower from the Termigants. His Hive Guard managed to imobilise my remaining Rhino. 2 of my centre tactical marines fell to a template attack from the Zoans pod. The Gaunts pod managed to kill off my bolter marine in the missile unit, brother Lucky decided to stay put.

Then the fun began, his three zoanthropes targeted my Predator but due to the proximity of my Librarian only one shot was managed and this only managed to immobilise the tank.

He assaulted my Typhoon and Predator with Genestealer 4 and 3 respectively. My Typhoon lost its Typhoon launcher and my Predator lost its autocannon. That was all.

Marine turn 4

My landspeeders finally turned up, they deviated slightly but touched down just north of the South East building within perfect shooting range to kill some Zoanthropes.

Brother Luck with his missile launcher moved further into the shadows of the building severely limiting the LOS on him. My lascannon dreadnought moved towards the Zoanthrope menace, the other Dread backed away from the Genestealer line. My Typhoon flew 12" over Genestealer 4 and turned around racking the side of the heavy bolter in anticipation.

Finally my Librarian took to the field, confidently striding towards the spore with his combat squad in toe. The centre tactical squad aimed their guns at the zoans as well.

Start of my shooting phase and my librarian gets a migraine due to the vivid colours radiating from the Zoanthropes, his attempt at Null Zone is unsuccessful and he loses a wound for his troubles.

However that didnt seem to matter as the weight of guns from my Lascannon Dread, Predator (right sponson had an arch), tactical squad and MM speeders downed 2 of the 3 zoanthropes.

My autocannon dread and heavy bolter managed to mangle about 4 of his Genestealers.

Finally my librarian and attached squad opened up on the Spore and charged it. They crushed it nicely with ease, jogging back towards their wounded Rhino.

Nid turn 5

I could smell the fear now.

He moved his Termigant unit into my objective building, his zoanthrope floated towards my Tactical squad and his "unengaged" Genestealer unit moved towards my Autocannon unit (the other one still content to be hacking at my predator).

Shooting saw lucky get killed by an equally lucky devourer (only 2 could see him and only 1 wounded) so my objective building was now devoid of my scoring units and the enemy was now 3 floors from my objective (people ask me why I dont place objectives on the ground floor - reasons like this, potentially game ending turn and they are 9" away from scoring in a building where their average movement is 3-4" a turn plus running)

His lone zoanthrope killed 2 tac marines with his warp blast.

My predator finally got wrecked by the genestealers, who lose one or two of their number to the blast. My Dreadnought is shaken by the other stealers but he is unable to kill anything.

Marine turn 5

I turbo boost my speeders towards the top and bottom objectives but get nowhere near them.

My librarian and squad move back towards the lone zoanthrope, being careful to stay out of his shadow of the warp range this time. My tactical squad moves into the central building. Lascannon Dreadnought moves towards the zoanthrope.

I manage to remobilise the Rhino (I claimed at the start that I had missed my chance in turn 4 and that this could have swung the game, then rolled a 6 to the shock of my opponent who had never seen a Rhino fix itself). My Librarian managed to cast Null zone properly this time.

Shooting was a little diminished however I was unable to down the Zoanthrope with my lascannon, despite him having to reroll and my other shots just bounced off.

Combat came swift with my Lascannon Dread stepping up and swatting the last zoan from the sky. He didnt stand a chance, the dread moved up towards the stealers who had just wrecked the predator.

Combat between my other dread and stealers ended with my Dreadnought being immobilised.

The dice was thrown and the game continued (I was glad as I had a chance of winning it).

Nid turn 6

Termigants moved up the building, still not scoring. His Tervigon moved closer to my home objective building as well. His free stealers moved towards my Lascannon Dread.

Shooting saw nothing much happening, his hive guard stopped my MM Speeders from shooting.

Assault phase witnessed my Lascannon dread explode from some rather miffed Genestealers, the explosion claimed nothing despite covering all of the remaining stealers on the board. The other dreadnought flailed ineffectively at the stealers who scratched some paintwork.

Marine turn 6

OK game winning move now, I turbo boosted my Typhoon onto the top of the building with the Termigants, the MM speaders turbo boosting onto his home objective.

My librarian and co moved towards the unengaged genestealers.

My librarian fried 3 stealers with Avenger and the rest of the tactical marines finished the squad (last stealer taken out by a krak missile, overkill much?)

My dreadnought was finally overcome with rage and he killed a single stealer with one of his gunbarrels, the stealers decided to try running away but only managed to move 3" (being immobilised I was unable to give chase and am now pointing easy rather helplessly)

The game still goes on despite my winning move, now the clenching hold onto hope that my speeders can survive a turn of pain!

Nid turn 7

In short even with his hive guard, tervigon and termigants in the north I still had a single speeder contesting his objective.

In the south west my typhoon survived the onslaught as well.

His genestealers continued to flee towards my Librarian

Marine turn

For fun and games I solo charged his remaining 3 stealers with my librarian, who was executed with 3 rending attacks before he could strike!

Game result

MARINE WIN!!! Was a bit of fun up until the end, winning that way whilst tactical was a bit gamey. Though there was no doubt that I owned the middle of the board, the crimson fists had turned back every attempt to take it back from me.

Archived