Modern Fallen

Evil Homer

If we take Astelan's belief that the Imperium forgot about the spirit of the crusades and assume a cult of 'fallen' DA in the modern era that believe as Astelan did, that the Lion, not Luther is responsible for the fall, how would such a sect survive?

Would they have to have Inner Circle support?

Would they have their own Heraldry keeping to the original DA scheme in modern gear with personal heraldry and such?

On what occasions (if any) would they fight as a single force?

Would their be the perception if discovered of a chaos cult within the DA rather than misguided DA?

Some kind of army idea floating around in my head based around this concept but it needs help!

I doubt very much such a group of Fallen Dark Angels (who would cartainly not consider themselves Fallen), would have much access to an Inner Circle, per se, at least not with the level of power commensurate with the Dark Angels and their Successors (though they may have an Inner Circle-type hierarchy patterned on the Order). If such a force existed at Chapter or near-Chapter strength, they would obviously have some manner of command and control, though I doubt it would be a reflection of the current DA Inner Circle.

I am certain such a group would maintain an appropriate heraldry: these are not Chaos Space Marines who have obliterated their old symbols in favour of the designs of their gods. I would rather think that they would either assume the original un-winged sword emblem of the Order, or perhaps a spiral, representing the circles within circles of the Order's worldview and hierarchy. Perhaps their Chapter badge is something they have adopted since?

If they exist as a large force, they may very well fight at strength whenever it strikes them as necessary. These are Crusade loyalists determined to bring heretical worlds into compliance in the name of the Imperium of Man, after all. In fact, they may have no idea that their former brothers are stalking them at all, if indeed the Dark Angels and their Successors even know about them yet (your Fallen may have just been on Caliban, for all we know, and reappeared someplace in realspace ten-thousand years later).

As far as your last question, perhaps the perception of them when discovered depends upon what force discovers them first. For example, if the Blood Angels ran afoul of them before the Dark Angels, they may consider them as a faction of the DA, some independent Space Marines, or something else entirely. Not even the Astartes themselves know the name and nature of every Chapter they come across in the galaxy ('Ultramarines? Never heard of 'em.' :lol: ). From the sound of it, it is unlikely they would come across as Chaos Space Marines to anybody they encountered: after all, there are still a number of Chapters that maintain a strong Crusade ideology (Black Templars spring immediately to mind), so it is unlikely that, unless they identify themselves specifically as Dark Angels, they would be noted as anything but a particularly zealous Space Marine Chapter.

Archived