hand flamers

Capt. Kenaz

Now I might not be the best source (only played like 2 games) but I think that any of the assault type squads are really suited to them. If you can put them near a choke point then 2 hand flamers plus an assault squad can be devastating.

Their real purpose is to give you the extra attack plus the flamer (which would work great with DoA armies).

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

I use them in my DC. 1 marine has one. He has been MVP in one game for being a lucky sob and the flamer was more useful than the bolt pistol in virtually any situation. This guy has survived a nob squad, charged forward into some more boys, kill them, continued on to a truck, it drove off, he chased after it, the bosy got out, he flamed them and charged them.

I would recommend it for fun if you have the points.

when you have an option of a egular flamer, take it. on anything with bs 5 an infernus would be better, on sargents id give handflamers, i wouldnt on priests as they will likely be tareted ad i try to keep them cheapish. vanguard should be charging when droped so would be a waste there, dc, just go with cc weapons anything a handflamer can kill they can kill quicker in cc. bu yea there far to expensive. i was going to put 2 in my assaault squad till i figured that for the same points i could have 2 regular flamers and enough to give the sarge a handflamer with te saving... and that hand lamer killed 3 chaos marines in ints first shot!(was also it last...)

I have used hand flamers, but am down to pretty much only taking them rarely. An assault squad sergeant in a squad that uses a pair of flamers might get the third just for fun. Only one game has a hand flamer every really done much for me. RAS in a razorback gets blown up. Whole squad gets killed but the sergeant as they approach some Tau holding an objective. Sergeant flames the squad, kills half, then charges and kills the rest.

I take hand flamers on sarges only.

I run a 10man jumpy squad with 2 meltaguns, the handflamer on the vet gives me great tactical flexibility.

^ this ^

I run three of these squads and hand flamers come handy against everything.

Could add it to a squad of Mech Vanguard vets. 6x flamer templates may do some decent dmg to hordes. Get right up to them and then lay down the templates so your opponent wont try to get rid of the front lines to prevent charging. It's riskier with JP Vets as you basically lose out on the HI charge. /shrug not sure if it would work though. I put one on my captain since he is considered a naff choice anyway, might as well have fun with him.

I use them and I love them!! On my DOA list I run them on sarge's, it helps w/ CC a bit, any of your real "horde" type untis they still ahve a decent chance wounding on. I also run them on my mech list, 5 man RAS w/ a flamer and hand flamer, double template love is nice!

Ashton

Mort I am really liking your build. It's the best of both worlds and looks to me like the optimal configuration. I currently run one meltagun, one flamer and an infernus pistol (sergeant) for my assault squads. I feel that with jump pack movement it's not a problem to move the pistol into half range of enemy tanks. The pistols in general are kind of expensive but they are unique to our chapter and fit in well with our background.

0b :D

Okay so next question, if I run a hand flamer with my assault squad sgt., should I also at least give him a power weapon, or just stick to a chainsword?

I've always felt like never leave Baal without a sgt. equipped with some kind of power weapon....

What do you think?

Mort I am really liking your build. It's the best of both worlds and looks to me like the optimal configuration. I currently run one meltagun, one flamer and an infernus pistol (sergeant) for my assault squads. I feel that with jump pack movement it's not a problem to move the pistol into half range of enemy tanks. The pistols in general are kind of expensive but they are unique to our chapter and fit in well with our background.

0b :HQ:

Thats a pretty cool build too!! Seems like it could be more useful too with the higher strength/AP of the flamer!

Well now, you're making me want to build a sgt with a hand flamer. :P

I've tried it, and never really felt it was worth the points. Though, I'm facing hordes a lot more now, so I'm considering returning the hand flamers to my lists.

wow I take hand flamers every chance I can get! Inferno pistols have their place, but against infantry you only get one kill, while with a hand flamer you can get heaps! Even against power armoured troops, they are still an awesome buy. On average you might only kill one or maybe two per shot, but that's still worth it. With the fact it uses the full template, and the 5th ed rules for templates, I can't believe people wouldn't be using one at every chance.

All my sang priests have one, as do most of my Sgt's.

Archived