Looking for Campaign ideas

Corbulo

Hey guys,

I just bought Planetary Empires this past weekend and a friend of mine and myself are looking to get our regular group of guys in on a campaign over the winter. I've read over the rules in the book that they give but most of it doesn't appeal to me. The idea of getting more points because you own more of one thing than the other doesn't float with us. However the giving a universal special rule to a unit kinda does.

What we want is something that encourages all involved to assemble new units and or paint something that a player already has. We don't want the campaign to be all about the battles. Some effort into the hobby will be required as well. A few ideas that we came up with are:

- If you finished making a unit or finished painting one you could give it a USR. One unit per month. It's to balance those of us who paint fast vs those who paint slow.

- Designate a tile to be your home base (I was thinking of using the Space Ports for this) and if it is ever attacked then you get to use one orbital bombardment from the Apocalypse rule book, how ever it comes on as normal reserves.

- If you attack a tile with a bastion (for example) then you must play a Planet Strike scenario or one from the Battle Missions book, etc.

If anyone has some good ideas or links to something similar I'd like to see what others have done.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Corb

Hey guys,

I just bought Planetary Empires this past weekend and a friend of mine and myself are looking to get our regular group of guys in on a campaign over the winter. I've read over the rules in the book that they give but most of it doesn't appeal to me. The idea of getting more points because you own more of one thing than the other doesn't float with us. However the giving a universal special rule to a unit kinda does.

What we want is something that encourages all involved to assemble new units and or paint something that a player already has. We don't want the campaign to be all about the battles. Some effort into the hobby will be required as well. A few ideas that we came up with are:

- If you finished making a unit or finished painting one you could give it a USR. One unit per month. It's to balance those of us who paint fast vs those who paint slow.

- Designate a tile to be your home base (I was thinking of using the Space Ports for this) and if it is ever attacked then you get to use one orbital bombardment from the Apocalypse rule book, how ever it comes on as normal reserves.

- If you attack a tile with a bastion (for example) then you must play a Planet Strike scenario or one from the Battle Missions book, etc.

If anyone has some good ideas or links to something similar I'd like to see what others have done.

Thanks for any help in advance :P

Corb

Your ideas are actually quite advanced, which is good depending on the people you are proposing them to.

In general you want to define a story line as to why we are even doing battle, and what are the end results +/-

Painting New Troops = Re-enforcements.

Home Base Tile = Last stand cant lose it.

Bastion Attack = All or nothing.

A good story line will define the outline of the game, and then the rules should match the fit into it.

Have fun, keep us posted about the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
Your ideas are actually quite advanced, which is good depending on the people you are proposing them to.

In general you want to define a story line as to why we are even doing battle, and what are the end results +/-

Painting New Troops = Re-enforcements.

Home Base Tile = Last stand cant lose it.

Bastion Attack = All or nothing.

A good story line will define the outline of the game, and then the rules should match the fit into it.

Have fun, keep us posted about the outcome.

My ideas are advanced because my friends and I have been playing 40k for over 12 years so we pretty much know all the rules and wanted to do something new and fun.

I came up with a set of rules for the campaign with the help of a couple of my friends. We talked it out and I took their recommendations and added some stuff of my own. It's hard to know if the rules are balanced until a few games are played. That is why I was hoping for some ideas that have worked for people in the past, and hoped they post them here. I did some other searching for campaign rules and most of them were far to complicated. They were so complicated that it was like learning an entirely new game system. I didn't want that, 40K can be tough enough to remember all the rules sometimes.

I came up with a good background story. A planet that has a population with a high percentage of people with psychic ability. It is constantly visited by the Black Ships of the Imperium and now the people are pissed off that their loved ones are constantly being taken away. As for game play I'm going to be limiting the shield gens, bastions, etc to one per person and each one has it's own special rule. I've also made one rule for the power station combined with the space ports. If you don't control each then it doesn't work.

The start of the campaign is tonight and it should be a blast :)

Thanks for your response pueriexdeus, in truth I was expecting more from other people, but whatever

Corb

Archived