Plasma guns in assualt squads:

Capt. Kenaz

Has anyone ever run two plasma guns in their assualt squads?

I was thinking of doing it to be different; plus it would add some firepower to my all jump-pack force...

I figure I could utilize cover to get off some rapid fire plasma, and then utilize cover again, and set up for an assault.

Or this squad would be simply used to go after priority targets and hose them or defend captured objectives...

What do you think?

It really depends on your meta. I run 2 squads with anti armor special weapons and one that's anti personnel. For the most part, I find flamers to be more useful for what people play around here. Getting a lot of hits (and thus a lot of wounds) against models with poor saves is fantastic.

On the other hand, unloading on a squad of termies with 4 plasma gun shots before you charge in would be amazing.

I just don't know if rapid fire at close range is worth gets hot.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a setup like this in a rhino in which they could roll forward and rapidfire away, however as jump packs go I'm not so sure because since the rest of the squad is armed with pistols instead of bolters you'll likely end up getting assaulted unless you can really work difficult and dangerous terrain to your advantage. You may want to consider JP honor guard because you could pump out up to 8 plasma shots a turn and then a built in priest that can't be picked out in cc. Throw in a librarian with smite and rage you'll have 12 ap2 shots a turn and preferred enemy if they get a charge in on you. Not too shabby for killing pretty much anything shy of a landraider.

That said, there are wiser minds than mind flitting about the board, I'd consult with them as well.

I'm not a big fan of anything that's not an assault weapon or pistol in an assault squad. Remember, they can't charge after firing a rapid fire weapon, which the plasma gun is.

My thoughts as well. If you want your RAS to take PGs I'd also recommend to mount them in Rhino. However I'm not a fan of 'Get's hot!' rule  :cuss

I'm not a big fan of anything that's not an assault weapon or pistol in an assault squad. Remember, they can't charge after firing a rapid fire weapon, which the plasma gun is.

My thoughts as well. If you want your RAS to take PGs I'd also recommend to mount them in Rhino. However I'm not a fan of 'Get's hot!' rule  :cuss

This is the best way to incorporate Plasma Guns in an Assault Squad. Jumpers should be assaulting not rapid firing and Plasma guns do not offer synergy. I would still rather melta guns as I still plan at some point for my Rhino mounted assault troops to actually assault. Otherwise it really is a waster of the other 7 marines and their sergeant.

I used the 2x plasma gun in Rhinos approach when playing against Tyranids for two reasons: it gave me a decent chance at knocking down his MC's if I just isolated them with my force (not too difficult with how quick Blood Angels are) and also I figured that with the lack of grenades in the Nid army, it would be worth it to have them charge me if they were going to into cover, and then allow me to go before them to kill them off. This worked reasonably well, so I'd say it's worth a try at least. I wouldn't however use the plasma guns on squads that still have their JP's.

Jumpers should be assaulting not rapid firing and Plasma guns do not offer synergy. I would still rather melta guns as I still plan at some point for my Rhino mounted assault troops to actually assault. Otherwise it really is a waster of the other 7 marines and their sergeant.

Now that's a strong argument! Assault squads should use assault weapons B) .Well, one can use Plasma-guys to shoot off some tough enemies and then the rest of the squad will assault, but as it was mentioned, there is no synergy.

FNP mostly negates gets hot.

Combat squad cc element to gain assault ablity and cover save. Cc models at the back. Only special cc weapon need base to base to be sure of effect.

Down side: many Killpoints

why not use plasma pistols? you can shoot and asault and you don't loose the extra attack in CC(same for inferno pistols)

Probably as Plasma Pistols cost the same as inferno pistols...might as well get these. Sure the range is shorter but they are more multipurpose. Then might as well save some points and get meltaguns. Sure you lose one attack but they meltaguns offer even better range than infernus pistols at the cost of one attack.

Anyway then you are back to square one. The typical Juper squad with 2 meltaguns. MO the most cost effective/ effective bang for your buck.

And yet, plasma guns can be most efficient the moment the squad deep strikes, in which case they cannot assault but they can punish an opposing unit with at least 4 plasma shots.

Archived