Stormraven

Saint Smiley

Having decided upon expanding my current Blood Angles jumpers list, I have been playing around with the codex looking at what to add to the exsiting force.

The jumpers list is fun to play, although very inconsistant in terms of performance. Some lists are just impossible to play (Guard hoard I'm looking at you!!), and so therefore i'm looking to make a more ballanced, slightly more compeititve list.

With the forthcoming release of the Stormraven I wondering what people's experiance is using them? I'm a little concenred the 200 points price tag with only AV12 at the front, which i why I think you need at least two to work.

How do you arm them?

How many do you take?

What do you put inside?

My inititial thoughts would be to take 2 of them possibly 3 with the twin linked multi melta, and las Cannon, however I'm very much undecided on what to try inside!!

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know, it be most appreciated :D

They are awesome... well what iv seen of them lol. Can drop a squad and a dread which can assault the next turn they disembark.... I give mine hurricane bolters and bloodstrike missiles because they are awesome, and can always fire due to machine spirit.

I have 1 :D and im glad to, iv seen it kick but lol

Here is how I kit mine - twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta and extra armor. If your gonna field one it's worth taking an assault dread, preferably armed with Blood Talons. I have posted some tactical articles on my blog as well as some batreps featuring the Stormraven. I have found it to be invaluable to my army which is composed purely of jump infantry.

G :down:

I am still learning how to use one effectively , so far I am having fun running it with no troops and just using it as a gunship...the NEW FAQ has really made me change how I thought of using it...plus i have never really used skimmers/flyers, only played against. So far, I am loving it. Homing Beacons, and the power of the machine spirit...take down entire squadrons of skimmers in one round of shooting :down: Blood missiles, assault cannons, and multi-meltas OH MY!!!! LOLOL The add on of hurricane bolters and extra armour really makes it a bigger pain in the arse and bloody more fun.

Hey,

I used a Stromraven for the first time at the weekend. I took it with the standard load out. We were playing the all around defence battle mission and I was the attacker. So how well it performed may not be the same in normal games. I rolled it on from reserve emptied the blood strikes into 2 Hammerheads. Destoying one and stunning the other. This let my RAS breach the defences. Next turn it released my HG with Libby and a DC dread into his commander and a squad of suits. In the following turns the Ass can and HB shred squads and the HG took out both of his HQs securing me a win for the first game of our campaign.

Scott

I am still learning how to use one effectively , so far I am having fun running it with no troops and just using it as a gunship...the NEW FAQ has really made me change how I thought of using it...

Could you explain this a bit further? What about the new FAQ made you consider using it as a gunship and not a transport?

Some people are confused thinking that if it moves flat out then the next turn if it's destroyed by enemy shooting the squad inside also is lost. However on pg 9 of the BRB it states when the term turn is used it refers to player turn unless otherwise specified - so the squad is only lost if it's destroyed during the same player turn it moved flat out.

G :tu:

Here is how I kit mine - twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta and extra armor. If your gonna field one it's worth taking an assault dread, preferably armed with Blood Talons. I have posted some tactical articles on my blog as well as some batreps featuring the Stormraven. I have found it to be invaluable to my army which is composed purely of jump infantry.

G :Troops:

Wow just had a quick look at your blog and there's a number of really intresting posts about playing DOA and the Stormraven. Will be digesting in more detail over the next few days but you have a gone for a slighty different approch to myself which actually effects the use of the Stormraven, in terms of what it carries.

I had already decided that the Furoso Dread with Blood Talons was a must, but it's the assulty unit inside which I cannot work out what to select.

Currently my honnour guard (which I have just finished modelling and painting), are set up with melta and are essentially anti mech, dropping down hopefully with a tooled up squad of V Vets.

So clearly there is no advanatage in transporting said unit. With pack's you can only take 6 models, again limiting the effectivness of any unit choice.

so many things to consider, thanks anyway for pointing me in the right direction :Elite:

I am still learning how to use one effectively , so far I am having fun running it with no troops and just using it as a gunship...the NEW FAQ has really made me change how I thought of using it...

Could you explain this a bit further? What about the new FAQ made you consider using it as a gunship and not a transport?

I just re-think my deployment via deepstrike or moving full out and what i land on, thats all. And as I said before, I have never used skimmers/flyers before so this entire bit is a fun learning experience.

And no Black Orange I do not think it is how you are assuming I think it is. We are on the same page on the movement and what it counts as.

Here's what & why I run in the skimmer:

Epistolary (jump pack) - hand flamer, Sanguine Sword & Unleash Rage

Can roll both powers at top of the assault phase - S10 force weapon plus everybody is rerolling their hits.

Honor Guard (jump packs & chapter banner)

Everyone has +1 attack.

Novitiate

Everyone has furious charge & feel no pain. I keep the Furioso in range of the Novitiate.

Honor Guard #1 - pair of lightning claws

Honor Guard #2 & #3 - lightning claw & stormshield

Honor Guard #4 - thunderhammer & stormshield

Librarian is rocking 5 S10 attacks & rerolling failed hits - he can smash dreadnaughts!

13 S5 lightning claw attacks rerolling failed hits and wounds at I5! They can cut down just about anything in the game.

4 thunderhammer attacks (S9) again rerolling failed hits - he's there for good measure.

Then you've got the Furioso, he comes charging out of the Stormraven like a one man wrecking crew with those talons.

I run my squad with jump packs so they can effectively charge 20" if the skimmer doesn't before they all disembark. The jump packs are definitely worth it in my mind. The combined unit has just about everything our chapter has to offer in terms of assault bonuses. To me it's the best combination I've seen as yet.

G :yes:

Archived