Black Reach box

NExOBLIVISCARIS

I'm going to go and expand my BA's soon and was wondering if the Black Reach box is any good? Because I dont have a rule book im missing a template or 2 (cause it has been awhile.) and you can never have to many dice... right? plus it looks like a good deal for the price termies+dread+tacs + capitian would equal out to about 120 USD as a rough estimation. and im sure i could use some Blood Angel parts im going to get to angelify them,

so this all sounds good but is it?

It is a good deal, if you can get a friendly orc player to split it or get him to buy some goodies from you, it's even better.

I'm using the tacticals from AoBR myself. I painted mine before I got the DC boxes, so mine aren't quite as Blood angely as they could be. But they are red.

I'm also using the dread from AoBR, I chopped of the right arm and magnetized it so now he can be equipped with everything from a Multi melta to a assault cannon. He's also red :P

Now I would say It is good for the Rulebook and templates However the Mini's are not overly usefull for BA a Tac squad a Shooty Termie Squad (the sarge can make a decent Sang Preist in TDA) and a Dred with a Plastic Multimelta semi usefull But still only has one Punchy arm, The Captain is Meh for us since no RelicBlades however does look okay I converted mine way back with Twin claws Tis okay but still a weak choice for our codex. HOWEVER it does depend on your Playstyle It does not Match mine too well but hey not everyone plays the same.

They can be useful, especially if you pick up some extra bitz/sprues from GW or other online stores. Grab the CC weapon termi sprue and some different dread arms and you're set for both of those for much cheaper than buying termis and a dread separate. Magnetize the arms and it's even better.

The tacs and captain aren't all that great for most BA players as Assault Marines are of more interest, but it's never difficult to find someone to buy them off of you, thus making it cheaper for you :P

I use the tacticals, but tend to split the models up a bit: the flamer goes in a RAS, the rocket launcher in a dev squad, and the rest of the BR marines are mixed in with a tac and dev squad.

They're pretty solid minis for a boxed set, but I don't use the dread, captain, or the termis (I use my SH termies instead). So, in general I'd agree that it worth it if you will use at one or more of the units it comes with, since you get the rulebook as well, especially if you are splitting the orcs with someone else. I shaved off the SM tactical symbol on the side, but that's the only work that they really needed. On the other hand, if you aren't planning to use any of the models, I'd recommend grabbing the rulebook off ebay along with some templates.

As others have said, it depends on you. Are you actually going to use those models?

I like the model quality. The termies are a little bland but mix well with an assault termie box and magnets to give one 10 models interchangeable with 5 shooting fists and 5/5 LC/TH. Also, the sergeant makes a nice TDA priest. The captain isn't a bad source for some kit-bashery.

The tacticals are quite nice, if somewhat bland. Good quality and fair poses. If one was going to bulk up an existing force, using them for the odd bolter DC, ML for deva or a whole straight up tactical squad. I dont know how you'll feel about the molded shoulder-pad arrow on them and any existing theme. *shrug*

If you are going to be using them with existing DC models, a few bits of bling from a DC box and they'll fit right in. There are a couple that can be changed from bolter tacticals to bolter & pfist quite easily.

But in general, one should have the need before buying it... unless one gets a lot of value back from the orc half via trade.

The model quality has a great amount of detail, but the construction isn't the greatest. It's a good base to use if you're just starting out. I had one squirreled away from a while ago that I recently used the commander, Dread, and the Sergeant from. The tacticals not so much but I did manage to cut the slings from the bolters and use them on some of my existing tacticals.

the AoBR is all right.

If you like Tacticals, then great. In not, paint them black and call them a DeathCompany and put the special weapons elsewhere. I've actually manage to convert a few of the AoBR tacticals into other stuff using other bits, but it's a lot of work for fairly static poses.'

I actually like the Dreadnought. It's not a Furioso, but it's nice to have.

Well I know the battle force is coming out soon and I don't really have the patience to wait that long, but 2 things a; the reason I was looking at this set is cause I need the rulebook and some of the supplies...well most of the supplies because its been about 2 almost 3 years since my last game and I thought I would get the supplies I need and some models at the same time. b; one of the reasons I don’t have the patience to wait is cause I’m going to buy an extension to my army for a sort of gift to myself for getting my drivers license, and my car is sort of the reason I chose Blood Angels for my second army (they are both red and fast! :huh: )

Well I know the battle force is coming out soon and I don't really have the patience to wait that long, but 2 things a; the reason I was looking at this set is cause I need the rulebook and some of the supplies...well most of the supplies because its been about 2 almost 3 years since my last game and I thought I would get the supplies I need and some models at the same time. b; one of the reasons I don’t have the patience to wait is cause I’m going to buy an extension to my army for a sort of gift to myself for getting my drivers license, and my car is sort of the reason I chose Blood Angels for my second army (they are both red and fast! :P )

I would say it's a good purchase then.

You can trade away the orks for bits to convert the models.

Magnetize the Termies for dual/triple use is my suggestion.

Dread is an arm away from being a furioso.

Still dont buy the AOBR box. You can get the rulebook and templates online from ebay for 15 pounds.

If you 'cant wait' clearly you arent that tight for money so just buy stuff you will absolutely use from ebay or online discount retailers to get the most out of your coin.

captain is a waste

scouts are a waste

tacticals are somewhat of a waste

termies need expensive bits to not be a waste, and still not great for BAs

dread needs arms from forgeworld to not be a waste

orks are a total waste (not even very valuable in trade/ebay)

rule book is good

templates are good

dice are plain old dice

I have painted up the AoBR tac squad and have made 2 DC Furiosos from the dreads and FW arms. None of the models are too bad, nor too great. The tacticals are simplified and unposeable. The dreads take some hacking to make dynamic looking.

For the price, you can't beat the set. You can even pick it up at 20% off pretty much anywhere. But you can also grab the rulebook off of ebay with the templates for about 20 bucks and spend that saved 55 buck on something you really want. Then again you cant buy scouts, a captain, dread, tacticals, termies, and a bunch of orks for 55 bucks anywhere else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Warhammer-40k-5th-...33#ht_500wt_949

Look at the minis, if yo like them, buy it, if you don't don't. No one here can make that decision for you, lots of people won't like em, lots of people will, others see conversions, some don't' care and go oh look cheap tach squads.

Idealy you find someone to buy the orks off you for half the price of the box as well.

I have a few of the minis (and 3 sets of the orks)

For the cost, the box is very good value for money, but only if you think it'll fit into your list.

I used the tacticals to add ablative Marines to my Devs and Tac squads - ok, they not the most dynamic poses, but if you're spreading the guys across a few squads you don't notice them standing in the background.

The Termis are fine, not a vast amount of detail, but you can bling them up a bit with the contents of one of the BA boxsets. I added an ass-cannon from a Land-Speeder to one of them for a bit extra dakka, and a back banner from a piece of wire and an old banner top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/T1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/T3.jpg

I also turned the Termi Sergeant into a TDA Chaplain - you don't need to add the big Empire banner, just paint the guy black and do a head swap, make a Crozius from some plastic tube and you're gaming.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/ChaplainBatt1.jpg

The Captain is a bit more of a challenge, as he looks about as far from a BA captain as it's possible to get. So I kept the legs/torso/cape piece, and added a new front and weapons. The second one is using some of the DC pieces, which weren't out when I started these guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/BACapt1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/BACapt3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/vscp1.jpg

And the Dread's a Dread, fits in ok with the rest of the gang.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/dreadntech.jpg

Sorry about the crap pics, phone camera only.

Archived