Mech BA - help me expand my army!

syypher

Hello everyone here at B&C! I'm finally looking to expand my army past 1500ish pts. I'm super excited! Well here is my plans and questions on the models I plan on buying.

What I have:

4x non-JP RAS

4x RBs w/ TL AsC (Assault Cannons)

2x Baals

2x Heavy Las Preds

3x Heavy Dreds (Dual TL AC)

2x Sang Priests

1x Librarian

1x Chaplain

1x Lemartes

5x DC

5x Sang Guard (Converting to VV or Honour Guard)

1x Furioso or DC Dred (Can be either)

1x Drop Pod

1x LR:R

As you can see I have a lot of mech and that is primarily how I play and I love it! There is a healthy amount of armies where I play. Here are my thoughts...

I have been reading a lot of "competitive" minded BA mech lists and have found that 8/10 of them run a Rhino with Tactical Squad inside with a ML + another Special Weapon + PF. I'm assuming this is done for objective based games so they can sit inside Rhino next to an objective while shooting out 48".

Questions: Is this the proper way to use them? Or are they for their Rapid Fire Bolter shots to mow down infantry around the board? What is a good second special weapon to get? Flamer? I have no experience with tactical squads any C&C would be much appreciated.

Usually I stuff some DC in my LR:R but I find them usually underwhelming. I like the idea of Assault Terminators in the LR:R and that's what most people put in them anyways. I however have never used them before and have 0 experience with them...I always move my LR:R 12" and try to have whatever else is in my army support it by popping whatever it's going for so they can assault it turn 2.

Questions: Is this a good idea to put Assault Termies in my LR:R? I know most people use some combination of LC and TH+SS but what is the best optimal loadout? 3 LC/ 2 TH+SS? Or 2LC/ 3TH+SS?

I'm thinking of also upping my AV13 by purchasing 1 more Baal Pred and 1 more Heavy Las Pred. This way at 2k pts I can have 6x AV 13's walling my RB's and Rhinos and even more firepower and target saturation. It was a cross between either a Box of Devastators that I will loadout with 4x ML's or another Heavy Pred. I'm leaning towards the heavy Predator since my army is mech based and this would continue with theme of getting an AV13 wall.

Questions: Would you go Heavy Las Pred or Devastators with this army? They are about the same price...only 5 pts difference.

So items I'm thinking of getting:

Rhino

Tactical Squad

SM Heavy Pred

Baal Pred

SM CC Assault Terminators

Thoughts? C&C?

I've not seen a single competative army use tacticals inside a rhino, its cheaper and better to use a AC or lasplas razor w/ MG. A 165 point lasplas can sit on an objective and fire the same lascannon that tactical can (but still move and shoot to get better angles / side armor) and still be scoring. A rhino + ml tatical w/ free upgrades 240 points. I'll take the tank I can move and shoot.

Basically you will be disappointed w/ the rhino/tactical combo.

At 1750 Assault terms (any variation of weapon setup is fine) is good w/ a LR - it will attract a lot of fire, but thats fine its durable. If you play against a lot of mech and big stuff - load up with x3 TH's, if you play vs a lot of troops/death stars etc.. pop on the LC's - w/ a libbys unleash rage 3 or 4 terms @ I5 S5 on the charge rerolling hits and wounds usually lands a 5 or 6 power weapon wounds, then TH throw in 3 on top of that (then the priest and libby to boot - all power weapons ..) its pretty nasty.

Baals and preds are the way to go definatly.

Incidently, steer clear of DC if your wanting to be "competative" a unit you cant control (which you wont vs a good player) is not good, assault terms do about the same thing and w/ their armor save + FNP bubble actually more surivable, and you can choose to run them to cover and what not when they are in the open.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from then for sure. If the purpose was to camp objectives and shoot from range the ras squad with an rb could do that as well and for cheaper...

I don't really see myself getting more than 4 razorbacks in a 2k army...what do you guys think? Should I get another razorback with another ras squad?

Maybe some melta attack bikes? Then again another razorback with an ras inside with a melta and las/plas can probably do the same thing...or at least close to it with some added benefits of being armor, a troop choice and not take up a crucial baal predator fast slot.

I think I answered my own question...do you guys agree?

I would run 6 RB with Laspla with 6 RAS with a meltagun inside each. That's not a heavy point sink, but let's put it this way. Nobody will come near you... 6x Laspla and 6x meltagun is 18 AP1/2 into a unit if it gets within 12". Termies? That'll eat them for breakfast, then a couple Carnifexes for lunch and the greater deamon for dinner. The things your Blood Angels has to do for a good meal *sigh*. I would also suggest getting 3x Baals instead. In mech armies, 3x seems to be the charm for everything. Multiples of 3 of the same unit.

Archived