1500 Points Blood Angels vs Marines

Simpsonia

I recently signed up to play in a 40k gaming league. You start by creating a 900-1050 point core list that does not change, and can use the remaining points up to 1500 freely. This was my first game. And only my 3rd game since coming back to 40k after a 4 year break.

Blood Angels:

HQ: Librarian: Jump Pack

Elites: 2x Sanguinary Priests: Jump Packs

Troops:

10x RAS: 2x Meltaguns, Powerfist

10x RAS: 2x Meltaguns, Powerfist

10x RAS: 2x Flamers, Lightning Claw

Fast Attack:

6x Vanguard Vets: 2x Storm Shields, 3x Lightning Claws, Thunder Hammer

5x Vanguard Vets: 2x Storm Shields, 2x Lightning Claws, Power Fist

His List Approx:

HQ: Librarian: Terminator Armor

Elites: 8x Sternguard Vets: 2x Combi-Meltas, 1x Combi-Flamer, Lightning Claw

6x Assault Terminators: 6x Thunder Hammer and Stormshield

Troops:

10x Tacticals: MultiMelta, Meltagun, power sword, Drop Pod

10x Tacticals: Meltagun, Plasma Cannon, Razorback (Lascannon)

8x Scouts: 7x Sniper Rifles, 1x Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack: 1x Landspeeder: Multimelta

Heavy: Vindicator

The game was Capture and Control with 2 objectives and Spearhead. He chose the upper left quad and placed his objective in a ruined building, and I had to place mine in a small section of trees as there was not much cover on my quadrant.

He deployed first and put both the Razorback Tacticals and the Scouts in the cover with his objective and placed his Vindicator, Landspeeder and Razorback somewhat in front of it. I elected to hold everything in reserve and deep strike (this is a DoA list after all).

Before the first turn I successfully seized the initiative.

Turn 1: He lands his first drop pod with the tacticals near my objective, he elects to combat squad them and tries to run towards it, but doesn't get very far. He also moved his Vinidcator and Landspeeder up ever so slightly.

Turn 2: One of my meltagun assault squads with a priest and both vanguard vets roll to come in. I place the larger vanguard veteran squad near his objective ruins and elect to heroic intervention into the tactical squad hiding there. The veterans wipe out the tacticals on the charge but are too close to the scouts to consolidate any further. The second vanguard squad comes down next to one of the tactical squads near my objective, half a centimeter closer and I would have had a mishap. They also heroic intervention into the squad, they kill 3 marines, but combat continues. The Assault squad comes down right next to his vindicator and fire both meltaguns into it's side armor, exploding it.

On his turn he fires all of his scouts, including a hellfire shell from the sergeant into the vanguard squad, as well as the landspeeder's multimelta, but fails to inflict any deaths. I had to thank the dice gods on that one as the hellfire shell inflicted wounds on every veteran, but I saved them all. He then fires his lascannon razorback at the assault squad, killing 1 marine. On the other side of the board near my objective, he assaults the other combat squad into the veterans who are still in combat. The veterans kill off the first squad entirely, and continue to kill off all but the tactical sergeant in combat.

Turn 3: The rest of my marines come on. I land the second meltagun RAS squad to the south of the ruins holding his objective. They fire both meltas into the landspeeder, destroying it. The middle assault squad fires both meltas into the Razorback, doing no damage and then proceed to assault it, destroying the lascannon and immobilizing it. The Vanguards near his objective assault into the scouts killing all but two, but also losing one of the lightning claw marines. They failed their leadership test, but escaped a full 12 inches backwards, leaving my Vanguards sitting on his objective. The Flamer assault squad comes down nearish to my objective as I'm still unsure where he will drop his Sternguard and Assault terminators. The vanguard squad near my objective continues to kill off his sergeant but has lost both stormshield marines.

On his turn he drops in his Assault Terminators exactly where my vanguards initially dropped in near his objective building. He also drops his Sternguard Pod right next to the middle most Assault squad that is still in combat with the immobilized Razorback. He fires everything, 2 combi-meltas, 1 combi-flamer, and 4 rapid firing bolters with the AP3 ammo at the Assault Marines. He scores 3 Get's Hot wounds and loses 2 to failed armor saves. My Assault marines lose only 1 to the melta-shot, saving the rest with armor or FNP.

Turn 4. My Vanguards on his objective as well as the second Assault Squad both move up and fire on his Assault Terminators, failing to cause any deaths. They then charge, through the whirlwind of attacks, they kill off 6 assault terminators before they have a chance to strike back, leaving only the Terminator Librarian. My middle assault squad assaults the Sternguard squad, wiping it out on the charge.

On his turn he's only got 2 Drop pods, an immobilized, weaponless Razorback, a Terminator Librarian and 2 scouts left on the board. After killing his Librarian in combat, he admits defeat as I most likely would have tabled him the next turn.

Thoughts:

This game was a hell of a lot of fun, though probably not as much for my opponent. His dice just were not kind to him at all. I think of the 7 or 8 morale tests he took for losing combat he only passed 1. One thing I thought was pretty cool is that I basically tabled him without completely losing a single unit. And that my biggest unit of an assault squad, priest, and librarian that saw no action whatsoever in the entire game.

Archived