Mephiston and DOA

lords2001

For a 2000 point battle - I'm looking to use my DOA army (3 RAS w/meltas & PF sarge, 2 priests, 10 vanguard w/2 powerfists, SS) with Mephiston and the Sanguinor - expensive as anything, I know, but potentially some nice synergy.

Now the problem is that Mephiston has no jump pack. Is there a usable way to get him on the battlefield that doesn't totally wreck the list, or is he just not worth the changes to the army that would need to be made? I just feel like having a proto daemon prince in my force that can tear up the enemy at high initiative (fighting chaos, Eldar, GK's, etc).

He can ride a stormraven in...

Thats turning a 250 point character into a 450 point one (as he can't share it with anyone else).

Has anyone had luck with DOA armies just starting on the battlefield if you get first turn? Jumping forward, taking hits, then assaulting?

One of the best things you can learn with a DoA army is when to reserve everything and when to deploy on the board. If your opponent deploys first, you should always consider the possibilities. If you can get into assault Turn 1, do it. I find that it's also occasionally possible to leave an RAS squad that can serve a role similar to VV by locking up one of your opponent's squads on the turn you DoA everything else onto the board.

With that said, you should never take something that will force you to deploy on the board. Having that kind of versatility is the strength of your army.

Mephiston is insanely synergistic with a DoA force, but both deploying him and protecting him are difficult.

I took 3rd (mostly due to the fact that I was unpainted, doh) in a doubles tournament with an IG player last weekend. I was able to use Mephiston because I could walk him up behind my partner's AV14 tanks. Even then, it was hard to tell when to move him out into the open and rush across the field. If he can't get into assault, he's an easy target. Plasma/LCs rip him to shreds with no invul.

He's just not resilient enough when he's the only thing on the board. The Sanguinor isn't as powerful an individual character, but he can DoA in, is resilient as all hell and is still very threatening. Plus he boosts your army with his abilities.

But yeah, Mephiston punches Land Raiders to death. Vampire Jesus doesn't do that, heh.

Thats turning a 250 point character into a 450 point one (as he can't share it with anyone else).

*snip*

Naah, that's turning a 250 point unit into a 250 point unit and a 200(/215) point transport gunship as a deployment option for himself or any 6 jp model or less squad at any point from deployment onwards as it's not dedicated. Can also give him specifically a 3"(disembark) + 12"(move) + 1-6"(fleet) +6"(assault) threat range. That's 22-27" 1st turn charge.

Which is pretty useless.

15 point beacons are completely stupid for DoA lists too.

Too stupid to talk about.

Don't know why I mention it.

I must be mad.

*excises sarcasm implant*

Whoa, sorry about that.

hahahaha shatter, that made me laugh ;)

well, indeed, the Beacon could be very, very usefull. also, maybe you could work a Libby dread in?

that will work fine (at least, how it looks on paper)

I will not run Mephy without a Raven having done it a while now. Mephiston needs his personal chopper.

I laughed so hard it woke the guy in the hospital bed next to me.

I think if this is the case, a Winged Libby dread is also necessary.

It makes Mephy about twice a good. He never gets his Wings Shut down. He has to take alot less Psychic Tests and that helps keep his 5 wounds up on the way in. It also cuts down on the anti vehicle coming his way. And everything thats good at taking him out is being blasted into the Chopper to try and pull him out first. :cuss It also lets him move 24" On the first turn. :3

you should never take something that will force you to deploy on the board

Sorry for being Captain Obvious here but... he can come in from reserves like normal. With up to 18" of movement and a possible 24" move/assault range, he will be able to get wherever you need him before too long. Not ideal by any means, but makes him viable in an all DoA list without the need of a Raven.

Well, I like the idea of giving Mephi his own personal chopper. :confused: As BOBMAKENZIE has already said: Big M has to take a lot less Psychic Tests. Which is great, especially against Eldar. And you are able to get Mephiston even faster in the CC. So I think to add one or two Ravens for my DoA/ Hybrid built does not sound that bad. :devil:

Cheers

Sang

you should never take something that will force you to deploy on the board

Sorry for being Captain Obvious here but... he can come in from reserves like normal. With up to 18" of movement and a possible 24" move/assault range, he will be able to get wherever you need him before too long. Not ideal by any means, but makes him viable in an all DoA list without the need of a Raven.

Can you use psychic powers when not on the table?

*snip*

Naah, that's turning a 250 point unit into a 250 point unit and a 200(/215) point transport gunship as a deployment option for himself or any 6 jp model or less squad at any point from deployment onwards as it's not dedicated. Can also give him specifically a 3"(disembark) + 12"(move) + 1-6"(fleet) +6"(assault) threat range. That's 22-27" 1st turn charge.

Which is pretty useless.

15 point beacons are completely stupid for DoA lists too.

Too stupid to talk about.

Don't know why I mention it.

I must be mad.

*excises sarcasm implant*

Whoa, sorry about that.

A dreadnought can still ride shotgun in the storm raven. When is that damn thing coming out anyway? I wanna see if its possible to convert it so it doesnt look like a red turd.

Archived