DoA/DS Army - Tips & Tricks

syypher

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat

squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but not in the

Drop Pod? (p32)

A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may not

break down into combat squads.

This was confusing to me - when I first read it it seemed to indicate that squads will choose to combat squad after entering play, which is what we all want. Then I re-read it and it seems to say to that if we choose to keep a squad in reserve we may not break it down into combat squads.

This is causing me confusion from the FAQ because it doesn't specify whether or not they can't be broken into combat squads only while they are held in reserve or if they forgo their ability to combat squad because they were held in reserve. The wording on the answer doesn't isolate the squads using a drop pod either, it just says "squads" - indicating all squads?

Is that why there is an exception to the combat squad rules for the Drop Pod allowing the squad to break into combat squads after entering play because normally they would not be allowed to do so because they were held in reserve?

How have you all handled this point in the FAQ? Does it support the argument that we can in fact combat squad our DoA units after they arrive? Or is it reinforcing the other argument that we cannot?

Johnny,

The problem with people's reading of the FAQ is thier mistaken use of the word "deployed". People tend to say that they "deploy their unit into reserve" and this makes people think that the FAQ no longer allows CSing a unit at all once reserved. This is not correct.

According to the rulebook, a unit is either "deployed" or "reserved". If a unit is "reserved", it is not considered "deployed" until it enters the table. And, following the rules for CS, a squad can CS when it deploys. Your first instinct is correct, a unit held in reserve will CS when it deploys on the table.

The FAQ clarified two things... First, since you cannot CS until you deploy, your 10 man unit in reserve stays one unit and you only roll 1 die for your reserve roll. Secondly, the drop pod clarification is needed because it breaks the normal "deployment" rules. Normally a unit breaks into CS when it is deployed, but since it is the drop pod itself that is deployed, the unit doesn't have to CS until it "disembarks" from the pod.

• 9 months later...

Not really if they are the only units you deploy before turn 1 and the rest arrives via DoA.

By definition a JP only army wouldn't have devastators either even if it deploys normally.

I'm not saying though that it is a bad idea, the army simply ceases to be a DoA only army.

• 7 months later...

Pure DoA is dead in 6th. Completely and totally dead (the rules don't allow more than 50% into reserve).

But the concept can work with some tweaking and finding good units to start on the table, and Mephiston can definitely be a part of that.

Pure DoA is dead in 6th. Completely and totally dead (the rules don't allow more than 50% into reserve).

But the concept can work with some tweaking and finding good units to start on the table, and Mephiston can definitely be a part of that.

I find my Jump army taking more speeders for ranged support/suppression and I'm looking at grabbing a pair of raven's. Death company with JP's are also back to their old dangerous as hell selves though and Lemartes is a little trickier to use.

Angry Johnny, everyone who posted before you was posting in 5th edition rules, starting with your post, we are in 6th edition, and several of the rules changed, including how combat squadding works. Now each combat squad rolls separately, and counts as a seperate unit when trying to determine how much of your army has to be in reserve. (When this thread was started, you could reserve everything, now you cannot - unless you whole army is drop pods and empty fliers)

In saying that, jumping across the board is still a strong, if not stronger, tactic - you can always elect to hold some Meltas in reserve as an option too.

Completely Agree. Love that army style in 6th.

Archived