The Lunar Wolves

Bolt16

Just a quick comment on the 1st Company:

Though I like to believe they all wore black, in "Horus Rising", during the attack on the "Emperor's" Palace, Loken looks back through the streets and espies Abaddon and his 1st Company shooting their way through, all wearing white armour except the Justaerin Terminator squad.

On the other hand, as stated, Catulan Reaver squad with Kalus Ekaddon apparently also wore black. Possibly the elite squads of 1st Company (the elite of the elite, the créme de la créme) wore black, while the rest wore white. Even Abaddon is mentioned to be wearing white armour.

All these replies have been absolutely awesome and I can't thank people enough so here's a new question for you all.....

How did the Luna Wolves see the other legions and how were they perceived by other legions?

For example I know that Horus felt Sanguinius was the best of them and had huge respect for him - I would imagine given the way where Horus led the Luna Wolves followed they therefore had huge respect for their brothers in the Blood Angels.

But what about other Legions?

Well, as stated, the Lunar Wolves didn't think they were the best - the KNEW they were the best. But then, so did most other Legions, especially the Emperor's Children, the Imperial Fists, The Space Wolves and the Ultramarines. The Lunar Wolves certainly had brought the greatest number of worlds into compliance, which commanded a certain respect, and Horus was loved by most Primarchs (Lion El'Johnson and a couple of others being exceptions; they thought they would have made better Warmasters).

The Lunar Wolves had respect for most other Legions and had a close bond with the Emperor's Children who had fought at their side for most of the Great Crusade. Still, they also viewed Fulgrim's Warriors as dandy-boys. They had a grudging respect for the World Eaters, though they openly disapproved of their feral brutality. Early in the Crusade, the Lunar Wolves appear to have fought alongside the Imperial Fists for a while, and a friendly rivalry existed between the two, as the conversation between Sigismund, Loken and Torgaddon in "Horus Rising" suggests. Sanguinius was one of Horus' closest brothers, and the Lunar Wolves had a good relationship with the Blood Angels, which made the betrayal particularly bitter when Horus sent them into the death trap at Signus (Novel upcoming, reportedly to be written by James Swallow).

They probably also had a fairly good relationship with the secretive Alpha Legion, since Alpharius spent a while being trained and mentored by Horus shortly after being found.

After Erebus arrived in the Legion, they also appear to have had good ties to the Word Bearers as well.

Hope that helped!

In the Index Astartes books teh Luna Wolves are described as sometimes exploiting the other Legions for their own glory. In the Horus Heresy, on the other hand, there are several examples of Luna Wolves Characters making fun of the other Legions. However, in my opinion that is just bad Marine writing (Marines joking around never sits well with me), and probably not generally a trait of the Luna Wolves.

Either way, here are a few examples:

"'How innocent you are.' Sigismund mocked, 'and I thought the Luna Wolves were supposed to be the most aggressive of us all. That's how you like the other Legions to think of you, isn't it? The most feared of mankind's warrior classes?'

'Our reputation speaks for itself, sir,' said Loken.

'As does the reputation of the Imperial Fists.' Sigismund replied. 'Are we going to scrap now? Argue which Legion is toughest?'

'The answer. always, is the Wolves of Fenris.' Torgaddon put in, 'because they are clinically insane.' He grinned broadly, sensing the tension, and wishing to dispel it. 'If you're comparing sane Legions, of course, the question becomes more complex. Primarch Roboute's Ultramarines make a good show, but then there are so bloody many of them. The Word Bearers, the White Scars, the Imperial Fists, oh, all have fine records. But the Luna Wolves, ah me, the Luna Wolves. Sigismund, in a straight fight? Do you really think you'd have a hope? Honestly? Your yellow ragamuffins against the best of the best?'"

- Horus Rising

"'WHat happened here?' wondered Loken. 'The briefing texts didn't say anything about the moon being like this.'

'What did they say?'

'Didn't you read them?'

Torgaddon shrugged. 'I figured I'd see what kind of place it was once we landed.'

Loken shook his head, saying, 'You'll never make an Ultramarine, Tarik.'

'No danger of that,' replied Torgaddon. 'I prefer to form plans as I go and Guilliman's lot are even more starch-arsed than you. But leaving my cavalier attitude to mission briefings aside, what's this place supposed to look like then?'"

- False Gods

@Legatus: Well, to be fair, that's not the Lunar Wolves making fun, that's Tarik Torgaddon making fun - a different thing altogether. He just happens to be in the Lunar Wolves Legion, but you can hardly say that his humour is a typical trait of the Lunar Wolves. In fact, he is the only one making jokes all the time, with the possible exception of Horus himself, once in a while.

Thanks all again for all the really great replies.

So one final question as I feel this post might have run it's course.

Here we go:

Did the Luna Wolves make use of teleportation attacks and if they did was this a regular thing or more of a rarity?

Thanks again

The only instance I can recall when the Lunar Wolves used teleportation is at the beginning of Horus Rising, when Horus teleports in to save Loken and Ekaddon and kill the "Emperor". In all other cases, the Lunar Wolves appear to have used Gunships (usually Stormbirds, sometimes Thunderhawks) in order to assault.

Later, during the Heresy when they were known as the Sons of Horus, Captain Luc Sedirae of the 13th Company teleported to the Planet of Dagonet with a tactical squad.

My guess is that they did use teleport in rare instances, but only for officers or the Primarch himself. Terminators appear to have been delivered to the surface in gunships - since the terminator program was still WIP at this stage, tactical dreadnought suits possibly had no teleporters in-built (Although, in "Tales of Heresy", the Word Bearers teleport an entire company of terminators).

Hope that helped!

Thanks again to everyone who responded on this post.

And special thanks to Legatus and Ufthak for all their posts.

Ufthak: ps followed the link to your story and not finished it yet but have to say it is awesome, really good.

Here we go:

Did the Luna Wolves make use of teleportation attacks and if they did was this a regular thing or more of a rarity?

Thanks again

From all indications, teleport attacks were used sparingly, while the drop pod assault was highly favored. In fact, I believe it was the Luna Wolves who pioneered the drop pod assault as a tactical deployment method in the first place.

Here we go:

Thanks again

From all indications, teleport attacks were used sparingly, while the drop pod assault was highly favored. In fact, I believe it was the Luna Wolves who pioneered the drop pod assault as a tactical deployment method in the first place.

All the combat deployments I remember though were via Stormbird - the campaign against the False Emperor and Murder.

Just a small point, on the flip side of Horus 'using' the Raven Guard, Iron Warrior and Ultramarine legions, that is why he was Warmaster right? He knew what legion to 'use' in any given situation.

the is a difference between being used and being a part of a well performing machine.

sadly, it seems horus often forgot to give credit where credit was due.

WLK

Ufthak: Still reading your story it is long but I'm loving every minute of it will PM you some comments - love Church and Maric....really hoping they survive!

As for whether I'm doing a Luna Wolves army well that's one way of putting. Keep your eye on the WIP forum in a about a weeks time and you may see something that enlightens you :)

Like I said doing a Luna Wolves army is one way of putting - I don't want to disappoint too much though so I'll give you a clue - title will have tears in the thread and they are a modern army.......for the rest you'll just have to wait and see!

Archived