Codex: Knights Aquila

angryswarmofbees

Codex: Knights Aquila

The Knights Aquila are for the most part a codex adherent chapter. They follow the Codex: Space Marines with the following changes.

Special Rules

Combat Squads

As per Codex: Space Marines

And They Shall Know no Fear

As per Codex: Space Marines

Scarce Resources

Despite close links with the Adeptus Mechanicus providing an abundance of some equipment; the Knights Aquila are a young chapter and lacking in certain regards. The chapter as a whole has only access to around 30 suits of tactical dreadnought armour, even less artificer armour and only one relic blade.

A Knights Aquila army may only deploy a single squad of Terminators (except in apocalypse).

Captains may not be upgraded to wear artificer armour or be equipped with relic blades.

Rolling Thunder

Despite predominantly being a codex chapter, the Knights Aquila have a strong disposition for armoured warfare and have many more tanks than most other chapters.

Any terminator, sternguard, vanguard (without jump packs) or command squad may select a land raider (any type) as a dedicated transport.

Predators, whirlwinds and vindicators may be taken as squadrons of 1-3 tanks which count as a single heavy support choice.

Strike First, Strike Hard

The Knights Aquila believe their best weapons are fire and manoeuvre, with some tanks stripped of armour to move faster.

Any rhino hulled vehicle may have its side armour value reduced by 1 to become a fast vehicle at no extra cost.

HQ

Asob Andruil, Grand Master of the Knights Aquila…………240 points

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

Asob Andruil 6 5 4 4 3 5 3 10 2+/4++

Unit Composition:

• 1 Chapter Master (unique)

Unit Type:

• Infantry

Warger:

• Artificer Armour

• Head Taker: An ancient and venerable sword given to the Knights Aquila by the Adpetus Mechanicus upon their founding. It is a relic blade which causes Instant Death on rolls to wound of a 6 regardless of target toughness

• Combi-flamer

• Frag and krak grenades

• Iron Halo

• Special Issue Ammunition

Special Rules:

ATSKNF

• Combat Tactics

• Chapter Tactics

• Independent Character

• Orbital Bombardment

• Fire and Manoeuvre: all units in the army exchange the combat tactics special rule for the ability to outflank.

• The best defence…: Asob Andruil and all models in his unit benefit from the furious charge and hit and run special rules

Knights Exemplar……130 points

If Asob Andruil is chosen then you may include one squad of Knights Exemplar that do not count against your HQ allowance. If Asob Andruil is not chosen then you may still include the Knights Exemplar but they count as a HQ choice.

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

Chapter Champion 5 4 4 4 1 4 3 10 2+

Knight Exemplar 4 4 4 4 1 4 2 10 2+

Unit Composition:

• 1 Chapter Champion

• 2 Knights Exemplar

Unit Type:

• Infantry

Warger:

• Artificer Armour

• Power Weapon

• Bolt gun

• Frag and krak grenades

• Bolt Pistol

• Special Issue Ammunition

Special Rules:

ATSKNF

• Combat Tactics

• Chapter Tactics

• Honour or Death (Chapter Champion only)

Dedicated Transport:

• May select a Rhino, Razorback, Drop Pod or Land Raider (Any type)

Options:

• May include up to seven additional Knights Exemplar…………………………………..40 pts per model

• The Chapter Champion may replace his power sword with a thunder hammer……...15 pts

• One Knight Exemplar may carry the Chapter Banner…………………………………………….25 pts

Master Veteran Sergeant……60 points

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

Master Veteran Sergeant 5 4 4 4 2 4 2 10 3+

Unit Composition:

• 1 Master Veteran Sergeant

Unit Type:

• Infantry

Warger:

• Power Armour

• Frag and krak grenades

• Bolt Pistol

• Chainsword

Special Rules:

ATSKNF

• Combat Tactics

• Chapter Tactics

• Independent Character

Options:

• May replace his bolt pistol and/or chainsword with:

o A combi-melta, -plasma or –flamer………………..…………………………………………..10 pts

o A plasma pistol…………………………………………………………………………………

You seriously don't think that pulling 9 vindicators on a standard list might be a bit much, or getting free fast rhinos? And, no, 'only one squad of terminators, except in apocalypse which is the only time most people use more than one squad' is not a real limitation. This is another case of just saying 'my guys are cool, I get to do stuff better with a penalty that either doesn't mean anything or limits me to something I'd do anyway'.

When coming up with special rules, ask yourself 'why would my opponent want to play the base codex instead of these special rules' and if the answer is 'there is no reason', you've made overpowered special rules. I'd like to get 9 heavy support slots for my marines too, but...

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I don't roll with Vindis so hadn't considered it. Are they that good? I prefer Predators...

I often play against my buddy's Tau with 15 terminators which wreak absolute havoc! So I thought limiting them might have been a good limitation, but if people don't often take that many termies then it isn't much of a handicap I agree. Same's true for relic blades and artificer armour...I always tool my Captains up with them (and assumed most people would too, I mean they're awesome) and thought that was a good limitation. Not designed to balance out the use of Fast tanks though...just a fluffy addition for a new Chapter which wouldn't likely have many of these rare artefacts.

Suppose I should have added more context in my last post. The Aurora chapter (and their descendants, my DIY chapter) are famed for blitzkrieg tactics and armoured warfare. Yet the vanilla codex doesn't really support that style. For a lightning strike force SM tanks are pretty slow. That was my first concern....I mean if Rhinos move 12" then their supporting armour can either fire, or keep up. Not both and what good's that? I'm not really into competitive play, much prefer that my games have context. And armoured columns of space marines are what I'd like.

Second I defo don't wanna over power things but I'd like to represent my chapter's penchant for armoured warfare...hence the squadrons. But if that's too much then I understand. But how else can I differentiate my army from any old SM army which can field just as many tanks?

Could you help me reconcile my problem then? The Scarce Resources rule wasn't meant to balance out the fast tanks...to gain that benefit they had to lose a point of side armour value. They were never gonna get fast for free! So is side and rear armour of 10 too small a price to pay for fast? I thought it would make sense fluff wise as it represents the crew stripping them down without adding Baal engines or something.

How about these stripped down tanks appearing in the Fast Attack slot? Or tanks in the elite slot?

Lastly (sorry for the huge post, and a pre-emptive thanks for any input) how about the other codex features? The chapter master? The knights exemplar? The master sergeant?

Thanks

Archived