Tackling Dark Eldar

zebanash

Meh, zebannash asked for advice on how to deal with Dark Eldar, and if the answer was as simple as "make sure you have enough Hunter-Killers to kill their transports" then this thread wouldn't have been nearly as helpful as real advice. Weapons with multiple, high strength shots, act as fantastic suppression fire against all armies, and happen to be that much better against Dark Eldar thanks to the +1 due to open-topped.

Lastly, Weasel, no not everyone plays like me. However, at the risk of sounding totally conceited and more than a tad bit arrogant, I'm a pretty good player, and I'm pretty sure I have a good understanding of the game. So when someone hops online and asks for advice, I feel confident trying to help. When that help gets undermined by bad advice, I'm not going to hesitate to call it out for what it is.

You sir are correct in that you are arrogant... Go back and read my post... no where was I coming across as this is the total solution to playing 40k or how to play Blood Angels in general. I was simply stating a go around I had with another player in a friendly match with a strategy that worked pretty well.

I find it funny that you mention that you should not tailer your army to your oppenent as you seem to think this is a ludicris ideal but what person in their right mind would not want to bring their best weapons to bear against their enemy given the chance. Now I am capable of realizing that my lists will suffer shortcomings in tournament style of play but I would also challenge that for the most part, 40k is not designed to be a competitive style game as much as it is more about a hobbyist enjoyment game that draws in very good tactical players and people who love the Fluff.

The Hunter killers were an addition I added to combat the fact that the DE Ravagers can be extremely frustrating as they provide an element that forces you to close upon the opponent. Now Blood Angels hold their own in CC but in my particular build, CC is not what I am going for but rather working with a mid range tank force that can slug it out and race quickly across the board. Hunter Killers were a way to minimize my opponents strength after I had faced it in a prior match.

I posted my ideas to possibly give other players the opportunity to look at tactics from maybe a new approach and get some new ideas.... your quick and rather rude comments really irked me. Show some respect to fellow players. I dont have a problem if you question my tactics, but show some tact and class when doing so at least.

Cheers,

G

Emos? Dark Eldar?.... How are the two even close to similar?

Dark Eldar don't inflict pain because it 'bleeds away the sorrow' or however the emo kids call it. :P Dark Eldar inflict pain for two reasons.

1. It makes them immortal.

2. Its fun.

Dark Eldar are sadistic nymphomatic psychopaths. Nothing at all like emos. <_<

I love Dark Eldar however I couldn't care less for emos. :P

If any race were to be emo, I would give that title to the craftworlders who pitifully waste their lives away in a constant state of arrogance and self pity.

In short, don't Stereotype.

Now, apologies for running off topic, but yeah in short you take care of Dark Eldar the same way you take care of regular Eldar. Take advantage of fire power and your better strength and toughness.

But most importantly, do not, under any circumstances, do not allow the specialized units to do their job. (i.e. don't let Wytches get in close combat)

There's really no need to tune your codex to fighting them besides taking a little more fire power then usual though but thats simply my own experience as a dark eldar player and one who plays against them.

Other then that, its just takes practice and quick wit.

Meh, zebannash asked for advice on how to deal with Dark Eldar, and if the answer was as simple as "make sure you have enough Hunter-Killers to kill their transports" then this thread wouldn't have been nearly as helpful as real advice. Weapons with multiple, high strength shots, act as fantastic suppression fire against all armies, and happen to be that much better against Dark Eldar thanks to the +1 due to open-topped.

Lastly, Weasel, no not everyone plays like me. However, at the risk of sounding totally conceited and more than a tad bit arrogant, I'm a pretty good player, and I'm pretty sure I have a good understanding of the game. So when someone hops online and asks for advice, I feel confident trying to help. When that help gets undermined by bad advice, I'm not going to hesitate to call it out for what it is.

He did indeed ask for advice on Dark Eldar, you even offered advice, but that doesn't just close down the thread as people have their own suggestions on how they handle the threat. You could be a good player, you could just think you are a good player, most people on here have no way of knowing. Helping is fine, turning from helping to a half troll with "Wow, apparently the best way to beat Dark Eldar is not by getting good with your army, and finding an all comers list that you like, but the best way to beat them is to tailor your list to them. I'll have to remember that next time. " that offers nothing but the standard spam of "learn to play better with an all comers list and dont' make lists for specific enemies" is pure crap. i point out that not everyone plays all comers lists and want to play more of a power game against them. so they come to the boards and look for advice, ideas, builds, combos that may help. other people may not live and breath looking at stats and want easy answers (having 4 kids i understand that one)

you didn't' hesitate calling out bad info, you didn't say anything about bad info. you called out info you don't agree with, people building tailored lists against he DE. and i called you out on your advice being one sided to you play stile. that is not offering help (your first post was help, your second, no)

Well ...let's get back on target here gents.

Having just had my bag beaten off by DE here is what I learned.

First, take down the transport with Incubi in it. Then shoot the heck out of them... a Flamestorm cannon is ideal here, yeah the bastards have 3+ saves and they will shred you in CC. Grotesques and Ravagers are worth making your high secondary priority as well. If you cannot assault the Grotesques with FC, power weapons and some sort of rerolls (or a Furioso) it is probably not worth engaging them and shooting them instead. Trickier said than done with the long assault reach of DE. Make sure you at least stun the Ravagers on each turn.

I think generally speaking mech BA will be better than a DoA/Jp army. Yeah they have a lot of lance weapons that will peal open rhinos but you still have a better chance of NOT getting assaulted first (and early in the game). Also DoA armies are less likely to take advantage of difficult terrain / cover which imo, is essential for taking away the DE high initiative.

Lastly, shoot the dang Incubi...

Assault Cannons and Missiles are generally wonderful.

Target priority is important. And as someone pointed out before, STUN THE RAVAGERS EVERY TURN!

Their infantry are squishy in combat if you can survive the first assault phase.

Archived