Space Marines? .. Iron Hands!

Brother Argos

Yes the theme reinforces deeper into the space hulk ... more corrosion from running chemicals / water perhaps ... while the less grungy tile is in a drier / less corrosive area of the hulk!

I'd suggest, if you can be bothered/haven't already, that you tie in part of that base with the mini on it - I know you have added rust effects to boots and the like, but maybe simulate corrosion on the boots of that particular mini.

Great stuff Argos, I'd go with the second base myself. It might be not as visually appealing at first glance but I think it appeals more to the trained eye as the technique really does have more of a polished feel to it.

Timewise how do the two compare?

Love the 'beefy' bionic leg. I will have to borrow that idea if I do a SoM army/or any minis.

Although, if you told me beforehand, I would not think white bolter casings would work, but I can see they absolutely work the way you've done them.

Thanks Rag's ... the bolter casings do indeed work, but take almost as long as the entire basic bodywork, multiple layers under the white to give it a blue hint, countless touch-ups because white just doesn't cover!!

That should be my next mini-project .. finding a way to do the bolters quickly!

Anyone got any good tips for "blue tinted" white ?

Have you tried Foundation Astronomicon Grey over your basecoat? It's light blue, covers reasonably well and might offer an ideal base for blue-tinted white.

On the bases, I like the first one, the depth of the rust appeals to me there, it emphasises the age, decay and squalor aboard a hulk in a way I think fits just right...

I am currently using Icy Blue over the black base coat ... but I am tempted to switch to a white basecoat .. paint the other parts black .. and use an icy blue filter to get the same effect ... I wonder if that would be quicker ? ...

Only one way to know for sure...you'll get better coverage for much less work, just a matter of making the 'blue rinse' work I guess...

As part of a speed experiment I painted two marines at the same time last week. The times broke down in the end to: -

Painting Figure - 2.5hrs

Painting Base - 30 mins

Decals (3) - 15 mins

So I am at about 3hrs 15 mins per figure, which is a little higher than I had thought, but the results seem worth it, especially considering my Salamanders were more like 10-11hrs each. I still want to keep the timing as low as possible, so that I can actually get some units together and possibly even PLAY 40k!

As already mentioned last week was painting/weathering experiment week, trying new things and challenging older ideas. This marine was the first using the Forgeworld Bionics from the character set, but in all other respects he was a normal marine with no special modelling. Given his "normality" I planned to extend the rust weathering to other areas of the body, I decided on areas likely to touch walls and floor and as such the knees, shoulderpads and backpack vents.

ihsm47.jpg

I kept the shoulderpad and backpack weathering light for this model to get a "view" on it, but I think it adds a little without detracting from the monochrome colour scheme. The knees got a little more weathering than the higher stuff, more in keeping with how I had done the feet.

ihsm48.jpg

Overall the "stepping" pose on the base worked nicely and with the marine now on the base it has returned to being my favourite out of the two again. Damn I am fickle!

Overall I was pleased with the result and may spread "the rust" to the rest of the marines ... What do you think ?

When I look at this guy I actually see him slowly retreating up a hall, covering his brothers as they fall back. I like it, it just looks like his back foot is carefully feeling for a solid purchase before the other moves back and he keeps shuffling down the hall snapping off shots at shadows racing through the haphazard lighting of the hulk. Which fits with my read of the Sergeant doing much the same from the ladder too.

As I said earlier I like the extended weathering, it adds yet more realism (as if you needed more!) and character to the mini. Looking forward to seeing the squad, especially with that Sergeant waiting in the wings...

Looking good! I completly sympathize with your plight to decrease painting time. I too have dreams of actually getting some table time sometime in the future :)

That being said, the extra rust is totally worth it I think, you have to imagine that if there is any weathering going on inside these hulks that it certainly wouldn't be limited to the floor, if anything I think there would be more stuff hanging from above as things decayed and slowly fell apart.

The second marine this week was an attempt to add simple battle damage to a shoulder pad and try out the other Iron Hands box set Bionic Head. I must say the asymmetric lens made me unsure about this one, it just feels weird to me every time I look at it .. even when finished, to the extent I am not sure I would use this head type again.

ihsm49.jpg

You will notice the damage to the shoulderpad, either a sword or claw strike across the pad, added after the decal and touched up. It had been commented there shoulderpads were not getting their fair share of "damage", so I am working on different techniques to show damage on them!

ihsm50.jpg

In keeping with the heavily rusted / corroded base I decided to add more weathering to the feet/lower legs than normal and also to the Tactical symbol on the greave (I really just wanted to try the kneepad symbols on the FW decal sheet). This should show the worse environment this marine is advancing through ...

Lastly I have a group shot showing my current eight marines all together ... almost up to the squad now .. only got the Heavy Weapon marine and the Sgt to do ...

ihsmgroup3.jpg

I am pleased with the cohesive feel they have ;)

Your logs are always a pleasure to read Brother Argos - I particularly enjoyed your foray with the Steel Legion over on Warseer as well.

These guys look fantastic, and the attempt* to tell a story through both each model and the squad as a whole is the kind of thing that elevates a mere hobby to an art form. I just wish I had the time, resources and skills that you do. Keep up the good work!

* I can't think of a different word, as attempt implies it hasn't worked. I can assure you, it most definately has!

I don't usually show my work at an early stage ... when I am fiddling and trying to get things right. However I am pleased enough with the pose (and story-telling) on the heavy weapon trooper to show this. Please excuse the very early stage in the work, the photography and the slight blur, its almost midnight and I am going to bed soon: -

ihsm51.jpg

Hunkering down behind a low partition, aiming under heavy fire ... shells hitting the steel partition with resounding impact ... but he only has one chance to get this shot right!

ihsm52.jpg

You can see him aiming at you ... time freezes as for some reason all you can see is the grey partition wall with rust creeping up it ... your eyes take in the bullet holes riddling the wall in hyper detail ... almost abstractly you see the arming light flicker on and and his finger pulling the trigger!

ihsm53.jpg

Sorry for the over dramatisation, but for this model captured my imagination more than most while he was in my head, and then when I made him the story/imagery enthused me enough to post him.

Please don't critique him, he is not finished yet in so many ways, nor is the base, save the critique for later when he has had the time and detailing he deserves. I just wanted to show you guys a glimpse into the beginning part of my "design" process that I normally don't get to show.

I hope you can visualise the fight going on around him like I can :unsure:

I hope you can visualise the fight going on around him like I can :)

Indeed I can sir, indeed I can. I can see the whole squad fighting for their lives in the Hulk to be honest, that's the best thing about this squad and the one thing I regret not doing for my RG - it really does tell a coherent story. The wounded Marine, the Sergeant, the movement and positioning of each member contributes to that feeling of a desperate battle in a broken down, rusted out, battered conglomeration of ships.

Now I shall sit back and await the detail I've come to expect of this squad, the opportunities presented by the base for customisation are immense and the Marine could be an interesting 'canvas' for IH-ness too. I'm looking forward to seeing how that missile loading arm is going to work too after last night's discussion...

@ Crimson Fisting : Sadly the Index Astartes article for Iron Hands shows them with White bolter casings ... so White Bolter casings they got!

@ Captain Juan Juarez : I think your missing something important here ... firstly you do not know how the battlefield looks therefore you have no idea where the enemy are and consequently where the "cover" is.

Lets take this as an example ... Red dots are the enemy approaching our Heavy Weapons Marine in the direction of the arrow ... as you can see most are in the green zone and don't have a shot (he is in cover from them) .. a couple are in the red and do have the shot. Basically you have to know the situation to be able to comment about where the cover is...

ihplan.jpg

It gets worse ... it is virtually impossible to return fire without risking exposure to enemy fire ... hopefully the rest of the squad would be laying down suppressive fire ... so one way or another he has to come out of cover to take a shot!

I do think through the scenario when I make a model as I am sure you must do too :P

Archived