Greenstuff Alternatives?

minionboy

Hey guys, I'm about to start sculpting something pretty big and I was wondering if anyone had a good alternative to greenstuff. I've seen other people sculpt with 2-part epoxies that dry grey-ish, which I can assume are cheaper than the $20 per 100g that GS is costing me. Any suggestions would be great!

Adam

There are several "alternatives" to greenstuff, each with particular qualities and peculiarities.

For a pretty good general over-view on a cross section of the more well known and used materials (green stuff, brown stuff, milliput, and Super Sculpy), have a look at rrb's Guide to Modeling Putties.

Beyond the usual suspects, the alternatives include Fimo and "ProCreate" (yes, you read that correctly) -- which is often called "gray stuff."

For large organic things, it's best to work in a polymer clay like Fimo or SuperSculpy to get the mass and general details down. Both these options are significantly cheaper than Green Stuff in volume. The advantage both these materials have is the fact they do not harden until baked in an oven at a modest temperature. They can also be baked several times, with modest success.

Always work over an armature (wire skeleton) and block out the bulk with something (Aluminum foil is popular to use under super sculpy).

Further refinement and detail can be accomplished with epoxy putties, as needed.

Hope this helps.

Procreate doesn't stick well to surfaces once cured. It has a tendency to peel off easily. It can, however be sanded, similar to brownstuff.

As with most epoxy putties, ProCreate does not stick well to most surfaces other than cured epoxy putties (it sticks well to greenstuff and cured versions of itself). However, if you provide a rough surface for it to anchor to, it does fine.

I have a Khador Widowmaker that I had to re-sculpt a foot after I drilled a pinning hole in a hasty manor. After pinning the model to the base and roughing up the surface, I used ProCreate to sculpt the foot. It's not going anywhere.

Archived