Sternguard

.Torch.

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about adding some Sternguard to my space marine army. But I'm not particularly a fan of the games workshop models. So I came to two possible conclusions, I can either go with something like this:

1.) http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/mk3-5.jpg

I like the look of the recent issue bolters with the old school armour on this one.

2.) http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/mkIV-6.jpg

This one I like the bolters with the MKIV armour.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of how they'd done some sternguard models that aren't the conventional models?

Cheers,

Torch

Mark IV is easily one of the best suits available. I personally dislike Mark V armour because the huge amount of studs is a bit daft \imo but Mark IV and the Umbra Ferrox bolters looks excellent.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of how they'd done some sternguard models that aren't the conventional models?

Hey fella, either of the FW choices will look brilliant for Sternguard, I kit-bashed mine from the Command Squad kit and a few FW pieces from bitz websites:

http://b.imagehost.org/t/0647/DSC00367.jpg

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@.Torch.: If you're going to use the FW models, I put in a vote for the MkIV. They look really good. I would recommend giving them some additional decoration to help give them the veteran feel though.

Here my plastic Sternguard that I kit-bashed:

gallery_26418_3623_565234.jpg

Sternguard 1

Sternguard 2

Sternguard 3

Sternguard 4

Sternguard 5

For my Sternguard I used the Dark Angels Veterans box set. It has a ton of cool, ornamental bitz and all the figures have long flowing robes that really make them stand out on the battlefield. swap out the shoulder pads and paint the armor to match your chapter and you've got really sharp looking, different sternguard.

OH WOW! Those are awesome. I love the Heavy Flamers. And the dagger guy. And everyone else.

Any chance you have a parts list/tutorial?

I believe he uses normal legs, normal backpacks (say tactical squad)

eagle from the Command Squad (the one that goes on the banner), front torso from Company Champion, shoulder pad from the Command Box

Knives are found a bit everywhere, as are frag grenades, bolters, aim and pistol holsters

power fist (I believe) and sergeant helmet from devastator box, the heavy flamers are multi-meltas with the melta part at the barrel end cut off and a heavy flamer part added instead (I'm not sure where the heavy flamers are from though). Banner might come from the dev box as well.

arms are probably assault marine arms, cut off the bolt pistol or chainsword and add knife or bolter

Heads are normal tactical squad heads though I see some tactical sergeant heads there (mk7, the one with two pipes on one side and no on the other, also with a light on one side)

Some purity seals as well from somebox.

Now to wait for Johnny to drop by and see how many I got correct :lol:

EDIT: I've also found upgrade boxes to be full of great bitz for creating special guys. I've picked up the black templar and the death company boxes as they match my chapter's iconography quite well (cross and blood droplet)

@bystrom: You've pretty much got it. It was a pretty simple kit bash; I didn't need to do any greenstuffing, or any real cutting except for the Heavy Flamers & the Sergeant's shoulder. Although, I'm not 100% sure which kit the banner on the Sergeant came from. The eagles on the backpacks for the rest of the squad actually came from the top of the same banner that the Sergeant has (it's smaller than the eagle that goes on the banner from the command squad box). I did a bits order from The War Store for the banners. (I ordered 10 banners just to cut off the eagle to use on the backpacks). The War Store has them listed as part of the Tactical Squads, but I think they're actually from the Devastator Squads, but like I said, I'm not 100% sure. The heavy flamer nozzles are from the Terminator Heavy Flamers.

Sternguard Heavy Flamer Step # 1

Sternguard Heavy Flamer Step # 2

Sternguard Heavy Flamer Step # 3

Simple no? The misalignment of the bottom pipe where the Heavy Flamer joins to the Multi-Melta body you can see in Step # 3 can be patched up pretty easily with GS or strategically place a purity seal from one of the vehicle accessory sprues (they're larger) to hide it - that's what I did. :(

BTW: I had initially sent a PM to Chapter Master Ignis Domus with the parts list instead of posting it here because I didn't want to hi-jack the thread, but I guess there is no harm in having the info in the thread; the OP was asking for advice on modeling his Sternguard.

Archived