BA Sergeant Question

Resv

So we have been having a bit of an argument around my FGS if a BA sergeant can sport 2x Lightning Claws. The wording in the entry lacks the and/or that many other entries have. Instead it just says Bolter/Chainsword without the and/or and none of us can really figure out weather or not you can take two of the same upgrade option.

If anyone has an insight into this it would be most welcome.

If he can't take 2 LC's then he can't take a hand flamer and a PW either. I think they removed the and/or to fit it all on one line.

And don't listen to the math hammer freaks, lightning claws comes in pairs. I still don't like that sang priests can't take 2 claws...

1 Lightning Claw is sufficient, and despite what the people who label persons of reason "mathhammer freaks" will say, is the most effective way to run a Sergeant. The re-rolls will serve you better than the extra attack in almost all cases, and the second Claw just isn't worth the extra points. Which is better- 2 Sergeants with 1 Claw or 1 Sergeant with 2 Claws and a naked one?

1 Lightning Claw is sufficient, and despite what the people who label persons of reason "mathhammer freaks" will say, is the most effective way to run a Sergeant. The re-rolls will serve you better than the extra attack in almost all cases, and the second Claw just isn't worth the extra points. Which is better- 2 Sergeants with 1 Claw or 1 Sergeant with 2 Claws and a naked one?

All of this is true.

But 2 claws looks so awesome on a model.

That's the main reason why a run one model in my Honor Guard with a pair. :wub:

The "rule of cool" always overrides logic in this hobby! If it doesn't for you, then you're clearly rather competitive--nothing definably wrong with that, but still. Rule of cool. B)

So we have been having a bit of an argument around my FGS if a BA sergeant can sport 2x Lightning Claws. The wording in the entry lacks the and/or that many other entries have. Instead it just says Bolter/Chainsword without the and/or and none of us can really figure out weather or not you can take two of the same upgrade option.

If anyone has an insight into this it would be most welcome.

Blood Angels Codex page 81 under options:

Where an option states that you may exchange one weapon 'and/or' another,

you may replace either, neither or both provided you pay the points cost

I found an easy way to solve this.

I just take a power fist, but in a choice between claw and weapon, i try to go for claw, or a mix, because of the MC spam i've seen lately. But usually fists are my favourite.

The 'Extra Attack' from having 2 Lightning Claws would be less beneficial than having the 'Extra 2 Power Weapon attacks' by putting the second Claw on another model

Not necessarily. You can't do that, for instance, in a RAS. And in some of the other squads (such as Vanguard or HG) you may want to stack bonuses on fewer models so you can sacrifice a few to plasma guns and the like without losing so many power weapon attacks.

Besides which, some models you simply want to make as deadly as is reasonably possible. Sometimes you want single models that are as deadly as whole squads.

The 'Extra Attack' from having 2 Lightning Claws would be less beneficial than having the 'Extra 2 Power Weapon attacks' by putting the second Claw on another model

Not necessarily. You can't do that, for instance, in a RAS. And in some of the other squads (such as Vanguard or HG) you may want to stack bonuses on fewer models so you can sacrifice a few to plasma guns and the like without losing so many power weapon attacks.

Besides which, some models you simply want to make as deadly as is reasonably possible. Sometimes you want single models that are as deadly as whole squads.

That extra lighhtning claw attack on the sergeant is so worthwhile when they get the Sanguinor's blessing and suddenly become almost an HQ choice.

Archived