Beating Mechdar

zebanash

Hey guys, we have a new player in our meta that has been playing mechdar, at 1850 he has 6 wave serpents, 4 with 6 Dire avengers and 2 with Fire dragons.

2 Regular Falcons and one Nightspinner and 2 warwalkers..

I tend to play a footslogger list

x2 RAS /w 2 melta and a Fist

Libby with SoS and BL

Priest/w JP

1 5 Man RAS /w fist and melta and priest in a AssC Razorback

Rifledread

4x ML dev

2x baal /w AssC

and a furioso in a DP.

10 DC in a DP

the problem i'm having is just knocking out his transports, the assault cannons can't take out wave serpents because they don't get an extra dice for arp. the Rifledread does ok and so do the ML, but they become fast targets, and i'm finding i get outflanked and my preds get wrecked by side shots with his s8 weapons.

I'm probably going to drop my DC, but been debating what i should be taking to swat the nasty pests out of the air. Either a Rifledread or another ML squad. I also have some attack bikes i'm waiting for in the mail, but then again they suffer unless they can get rear armor on the wave serpents. I'm thinking i'll have to start outflanking my baals and hoping that i can get rear armor (especially to kill that night spinner) and just hunker down, try to outshoot him with my dedicated AV and let him come to me.

Meltas will do better then Missiles AP 1 is an improvement otherwise tehy are the same! (Except shorter Range but on bikes doesnt matter)

A mixture of them and missiles will do you well. If you're still having trouble consider swaping a baal out for a normal pred?

*snip*2 Regular Falcons and one Nightspinner and 2 warwalkers

Unless you guys have a funny FoC or are using 2 of them, he's cheating.

2 Falcons: 2 Heavy Support choices.

Night Spinner: 1 Heavy Support choice.

2 Warwalkers: 1 Heavy Support choice if taken as 1 single squadron.

Last time I checked, you only had 3 Heavy Support choices.

its possible that he just has one falcon and the nightspinner and i'm just crazy, infact i think it is because i only counted 8 tanks last time.

Few possibilities i looked at, one was using the autolas pred (i actually have one sitting around) that leaves me 125 points to play with, now all 3 of my heavy slots have been used up, anyone have ideas on how to fill that?

Well, my first reccommendation is to teach him why good players usually ignore warwalkers and pop them turn 1 with a single missile salvo. Congratulations, youve just taken down 150-200pts, and statisticly those 4 missile launchers will remove theme very time. In my experience theyre even a bit of overkill.

Now, as for waveserpents- 6 dire avengers isnt much. Its 12 or 18 bolter shots if they disembark in fact... not to formidable. Im willing to bet he rarely gets out of those tanks and depends on their survivability to win him the late game eh? You can counter this by droping that las pred for a second set of missile launcher devies- just focus fire tell their dead, and let your Baals rip the squad apart afterwords.

Couple notes- Waveserpents dont get their forcefield in CC or the rear, so consider droping your furioso behind them or assaulthing the darn things- krak grenades glance on a 4+ after all.

Dont be afraid to bunker up- your RAS can get places in a hurry, so make him come to you if he wants to do any damage. That keeps him from being able to take parts off your force peicemeal.

Lastly, consider getting a pair of typhoons to go tank hunting. Right now hes got complete mobility control in so many ways- make him work for it a bit. If nothing else its an extra opening salvo.

I think the HB variant is better- I dont like playing my typhoons close, and a pair of frags with a HB is pretty nasty all around- and those extra few shots for light vehicles never hurt either.

Of course, you givem the MM and theyre a bit more all-round, but with the RAS, the DP Dread, et all I think the list has enough melta.

You lack suppression fire. I say supression fire because due to their energy shield you will only get S8 ranged hits, meaning no ranged antitank fire (that kills for sure).

So, you need to spam MLs. They are the bane of Mechdar.

Make him take multiple hits and he will begin to get destroyed results and, equally good, stop moving and then you hit him with your powerfist/Krak grenades, Meltabombs, etc.

Invest in two more teams of devs to even out the odds.

Remember, you only need to slow him down from being able to take objectives. His units when footslogging are few and weak.

/gustmic

*snip* Well, my first reccommendation is to teach him why good players usually ignore warwalkers and pop them turn 1 with a single missile salvo. Congratulations, youve just taken down 150-200pts, and statisticly those 4 missile launchers will remove theme very time. In my experience theyre even a bit of overkill.

A Unit of 2 war walkers kitted out with Dual Shuriken cannons comes in at less than 100 points , if you're running anything heavier on your walkers then , well.... you're wasting points.

*snip* Well, my first reccommendation is to teach him why good players usually ignore warwalkers and pop them turn 1 with a single missile salvo. Congratulations, youve just taken down 150-200pts, and statisticly those 4 missile launchers will remove theme very time. In my experience theyre even a bit of overkill.

A Unit of 2 war walkers kitted out with Dual Shuriken cannons comes in at less than 100 points , if you're running anything heavier on your walkers then , well.... you're wasting points.

And if your using warwalkers with shuriken cannons your using them as a distraction? Because with a 24" range theyre not good for much of anything as they have to be exposed to fire in order to get any shots off and a bit light for outflanking to good effect....

And if your using warwalkers with shuriken cannons your using them as a distraction? Because with a 24" range theyre not good for much of anything as they have to be exposed to fire in order to get any shots off and a bit light for outflanking to good effect....

Exactly. Outflank behind enemy armour. Pop 12 strength 6 shots in the rear. All for 100 points.

Archived