Forge World

Tabgoi

With the descent of European currency to the dollar (some how) that is cheaper to get razor backs from forge world then from your local hobby shop. And the land raiders are about the same price, you just also get the customized doors. You have to get more then one just to disperse the shipping cost, but personally I think the forge world ones look a bit better, and with prices being cheaper seems like a win for me.

I just noticed since I need to update my Blood Angels since my force is a bit dated at this point. Been playing the blood angels 5th company for over a decade now, and the whole company was painted quickly to get it on the field. Time to get things brought up to a better painting standard. By the way, anyone know of a good way to strip the paint off minis? I have 140 or so marines that need to get a new paint job and if I just paint over they will lose a lot of detail. I have tried soaking in dawn dish soap, oxy clean, and 409 with no real luck. I am thinking maybe dawn power desolver. Honestly I would have thought soaking water based paint in water would have worked, but no dice. I have found power tooth brushes cut the work by a lot, but its still a few hours per each mini.

Regular strength Easy Off oven cleaner, a Ziploc bag, and a toothbrush work wonders. It won't eat your plastic, and it's relatively fast acting. Let it sit overnight, then scrub the crap out of them in a shop sink. Just be sure to do all your spraying and scrubbing in a well ventilated area, as it gives off some fumes. It's also only about $5 US, so it's also a hell of a steal.

Regular strength Easy Off oven cleaner, a Ziploc bag, and a toothbrush work wonders. It won't eat your plastic, and it's relatively fast acting. Let it sit overnight, then scrub the crap out of them in a shop sink. Just be sure to do all your spraying and scrubbing in a well ventilated area, as it gives off some fumes. It's also only about $5 US, so it's also a hell of a steal.

Thanks for the advice. I get requests fairly regularly to bring them out to balance large battles where the Imperium is outnumbered, but with the horrible paint job on most of them I tend to be a bit embarassed to do so. My painting skills have improved quite a bit working with my chaos army and some veteran squads. With an updated paint job I may actually bring the 15k points of them out some time.

I've been stripping a large quantity of models throughout the year and I've found Simple Green and Easy Off have their merits. Simple Green is non-toxic and thus is easier to dispose of. It takes a little time to really work well as I generally leave the models soaking for 2-3 days before bringing the toothbrush out, and work on them slowly over the course of a few days.

Easy off, is definitely toxic, but it works in 45-90 minutes, which is quite nice. I start with Simple Green and then anything that doesn't come off from that after 7-10 days, I move over to the Easy Off.

The benefit of both of these is that they are fine on plastics so long as they aren't soaking for too long. I've used them both on everything from modern plastics, Rogue Trader plastics and metals, and old Armorcast resins, all to great results.

I use brakefluid when I strip my minis, don't know how much cheaper/more expensive it is, but since I have a gas station 200m from my house, it's the easiest to get for me. Works perfectly too, let the minis soak for 24-48hrs and use a toothbrush on 'em.

Archived