Pre Heresy Dark Angels new army blog

Brother Caedrius

Ok, so I've been toying with the idea of creating a pre-heresy DA force for some time now. My current 3rd company, command force and vehicles are all painted in PHDA style, but for my liking there's too many MKVII pieces of armour and modern 40K heavy weapons, and now Forgeworld have released all the new armour types and weapons, now would be an ideal time to really go for it.

So the models I'm going to create are: Company Master, Tactical Squad 1, Tactical Squad 2, 2 x Land Raider MKI, Predator, Dreadnought, Venerable Dreadnought

Now some of these models are going to use a variety of different pieces, the MKI land raiders will be made out of plastic card and will use Razorback lascannons for each side and Imperial Guard Chimera heavy bolters for the front along with minor tank pieces to "bling" the LR.

I'm not sure how to do the twin linked bolters, whether just to use the standard storm bolters and chop the ends off and replace with bolters or cobble together some of the new resin bolters ala old MKI Rhino style??

Speaking of which, I will use standard Rhino MKII kits with the available resin conversion kits that are available from certain sites.

The troopers and Captain will use a combination of new resin and old plastic pieces: I will use plastic MKV torso's from the current Space Marine and Chaos Marine kits as well as resin MK II and IV from forgeworld.

The legs will be a combination of MK II, IV and V from forgeworld and the heads will be a combination of MK II and IV resin, MaxMini heads and the current Venerable Dreadnought helmets.

Arms will be MK II, IV and V resin and I will use pieces from the character conversion kit from FW and the basic Umbra bolters and new heavy weapon kit from FW.

Well, that about covers the basics of materials, I guess I'm curious to see what recommendations any of you might have regarding the ideas I have for the models.

Thanks for reading :lol:

edit: to compensate for board rules because I'm a clutz!

Strictly speaking army list topics like these should reside in the DA Army list section. Any reason it shouldn't go in there?

I'd say comment on the Pre-heresy modelling aspects of it only and ignore the list as such and it can stay here. There are few ongoing pre-H army build topics floating around at present which is nice to see.

Be great to see each approach it from a subtly different angle – and it looks like this one has some nice armoured vehicle elements to it.

Cheers

I

Well as I'm currently off work at the moment I thought I'd start purchasing some bits. So today I stocked up on some styrene sheets (2x 1mm, 4x 0.75mm and 4x 0.5mm) for creating the Land Raider MKI's and decided to do the Rhino conversions myself using the MKI conversion sheet I found on here!

I also spent a bit of time looking at ebay and bits sites and managed to pick up the following parts:

2 Leman Russ Heavy Bolter sponsons

2 Dozer Blades for Rhino MKIs

5 MKIV helmets

5 MKII helmets

5 MKIII helmets

10 Maxmini steam knight helmets the number 4 helmet if you check the link

So that gives me more than enough helmets to be starting with

I also got 4 pairs of MKIV shoulder pads and 8 MKV plastic torsos.

So now to make a start on looking for suitable legs, torsos, arms, weapons and razorback bits for land raiders.

Oops forgot to mention that I'm not sure whether to purchase the sets I need from Forgeworld (1 set of MKII-V armour) which will give me combat squads in complete suits, or whether to just by bits available to me and mix and match them so troops are wearing combo's of different patterns, ie 1 guy might have a MKV helmet, with a MKIV torso, MKIII legs and arms and a MKII backpack. I like the idea of their war gear not being all perfect, that they've had to adopt new and old pieces as the Heresy has continued

I had a lovely surprise in this mornings post, the first of my parcels from ebay arrived, 24 hours after paying, what superb service! :D

gallery_37061_5492_31782.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_582842.jpg

Those Maxmini Steam Knight helmet #4 are amazing!

So I had a rummage through my bits box and dug out some old bits and bobs, a MKV torso, a pair of MKIV legs, a pair of kneeling MKIV legs, an Empire Knight helmet and a standard Space Marine helmet, some grenades, a pair of Chaos Marine arms, a Chaos Power Sword, a bolter and a pair of ravenwing bike symbols. I chopped the MKIV legs in half and used half of the kneeling pair to form a new set, cobbled all the rest together and made a temporary version of a potential Space Marine Commander or Sergeant.

gallery_37061_5492_973745.jpg

I know the Bolter will have to change, but it's just an idea to see how well it would work.

gallery_37061_5492_499895.jpg

I especially like how the Ravenwing symbols brace the helmet, inspired by The Fallen Angels cover, albeit at a different angle.

gallery_37061_5492_294363.jpg

I will need to file the edge off that right hand Shoulder pad to keep it Pre Heresy style!

I also played around with the Chapter Master with the power sword. Slapped a bit of paint on him this morning as I am desperate to find things to keep me busy at the moment. I didnt glue the arm and hand holding the helmet on as I was considering using one of the new FW bionic arms and the combi flamer in it's place.

gallery_37061_5492_884960.jpg

It would mean that my all plastic guy would have to change slightly to become a worthy Sgt, removal of both arms and replacing with Power Fist, and either another bionic arm with FW plasma Pistol or Bolt Pistol.

So I thought a healthy start to the project, let's hope the other package arrives soon and then I can move on to other things. I have a considerable number of Chaos arms and MKIV legs lying around, but not sure whether to use them or wait a couple of weeks and pick up resin pieces?

Thanks Lord_Hail.

Well today I have mostly been fixing my pc, but while waiting for 8 1/2 hours of virus and malware checks to complete I changed the winged helmet dude to have a chainsword, and removed the bolter so he can now carry one of the new PPH plasma pistols and take up his post as Sgt of Tactical Squad 2.

I also spent a bit of time rummaging through my bits pot and found a lovely collection of bits from Chaos Marines, Space Marines, Black Templars, Chaos Knights and cobbled together and started to paint this guy:

gallery_37061_5492_675053.jpg

I know I'll have to change his plasma pistol and fist, but I really liked this guy and think he'd really suit a 2nd HQ place in the army when I finally get around to it :P

I LOVE the posing of the "winged" marine ;) Probably a pistol will probably look better though.

The crozius... looks a bit oversized. If you told me you used Nagash, I'd believe you!

The chappy head... where did that come from? It looks... wierd.

I like the rest of the model though, keep it up!

Thanks Tanhausen for your comments :( The winged Sgt has had his bolter removed now and is awaiting a plasma pistol, his power sword has also been cleaved off and replaced with a chainsword, I'll take a snap and post it up once the pistol has arrived.

The crozius was originally a lot longer, almost like a fighting staff, the idea being that once in close combat, the pistol would be holstered and he'd sweep into the horde and kill many foes (the idea was based around my love of Sláine, an old character from the British comic 2000ad that also introduced us to Judge Dredd).

http://www.2000adonline.com/books/assets/covers/slaine_books_of_invasions_2.jpg

The arm and handle were taken from the Chaos Knights set

The head is taken from the Chaos Khorne Berzerkers and had the bunny ears removed and the head sanded down, the legs are also from the same set, with a sidgen of plasticard added to his soles so that when he's based he won't look like he's sinking!

Bah humbug!!! Christmas post delaying all my goodies!!!

Well in the meantime I'll stop being a grumpy Scrooge and share with you something I was working on this morning.

As mentioned previously I had altered Sgt #1 but hadn't shared him with you. Now he has a new (well old school actually) Plasma Pistol, he is ready to show himself off to the world ^_^

Sgt 1, take a bow!

gallery_37061_5492_119588.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_221690.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_78817.jpg

As you can see I changed his Power Sword for a Chainsword, as suggested in my army list, and added a Chaos Space Marine chainsword with Assault chainsword hilt. Thought this added quite a nice touch and gave it the impression of being double handed. I'm awaiting some bolt pistol holsters, which I will obviously chop the handle off, hollow slightly and then glue to his waist.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.....

The one, the only, the absolutely fabulous Sgt #2! Woooooooo!

gallery_37061_5492_2844.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_192781.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_138913.jpg

This dude is made up of the following parts: Chaos Marine MKV torso, Space Marine MKVI legs, FW Character Conversion Power Arm, FW Character conversion bionic arm, FW Character conversion bolt pistol, FW MKIV Shoulder pads, MaxiMini Steam Knight head 4, Ravenwing symbol, Grenades, Ammo packs.

I'm really pleased with how he's come out. I used the cover of "Fallen Angels" as inspiration and might even add a greenstuff cloak to him to further tie it in to the cover (or should I save that for the Captain?)

Hope you like :D

edit: must check spelling!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comment Eternal Defender.

The list I'd created has used exactly 1500 pts, so it was a case of either the Sgt having the Power Sword or the Captain. As someone mentioned in my army list topic, the Power Sword gives the Capt extra initiative, so thought the swap was best.

I will take a look at making a slight variation to the list, perhaps swapping the 2 Land Raiders for more Preds, or Preds and Vindies?

As for more models, unfortunately due to the obscene weather we have been having in the UK, I'm still waiting for bits to arrive :teehee:

What I will do in the meantime is crack on painting the 2 Sgt's and the Chappie, I was considering Cloaks for the Sgt's to tie it more into the PH theme and the covers of DOA and FA, what do you think?

how will you paint your angels? black or silver (like on the cover of Fallen Angels)?

I think white cloaks will definitely look good on black marines - but on silver ones...meh, I don't know...

I say keep at least one MK1 Raider because it looks ace and will maintain the pre heresy theme.

and I meant maybe give the Sgt. a knightly looking sword => aka close combat weapon - not a power weapon. but if you like the chainsword, you should of course keep it!

hopefully this blog will get more replies with more pictures!

I will be aiming for a Black paint job on these guys, but with some serious battle scars, so plenty of Boltgun metal, Chainmail and Silver highlights :lol:

If I was to make cloaks I would probably paint them bone coloured to keep with the theme of Dark Angels, hopefully then the bone coloured cloaks would work if I changed my mind and went for a silver paint job.

I will be including the occasional Green Shoulder pad to coincide with the Brothers originating from Caliban (keep typing Calidan until I remember that's a planet in Dune), I like the white inlay on the shoulder pad the Marine has on the cover of Descent of Angels, with the darker Legion emblem, so might use that for the Terrans and the standard green with white emblem for Caliban brothers.

Sorry ED, just misunderstood your meaning, but get it now :P

Yeah, defo 1 MKI LR (as I've spent a lot of money on plasticard and bits) ;) I like the idea of running a Pred with Twin Linked Las Cannons on the turrent and heavy bolter sponsons to join my current listed pred.

Anyway on with some pics....

I know it's Christmas and a lot of the parts I've ordered probably won't turn up for a few days and having been away visiting family I've not had much time to myself.

I've laid down a few more coats on the Chappie, will be leaving his armour til last. Will spend the next few sessions tidying up messy areas and finishing off the metals with washes and silver highlights, and adding the gemstone onto his Veterans Cross and finishing his backpack headstone

gallery_37061_5492_72905.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_1169696.jpg

I decided with the Captain to use a pair of Iron Hands bionic legs, not realising they were MKVII legs, so will be doing some fine drilling and adding some wee beads to make them more in line with MKV legs.

The torso is from the new Red Scorpions Librarian dude's honour guard, I've cut off the red scorpion emblem and filed it down ready for green stuffing!

gallery_37061_5492_86360.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_148944.jpg

He will be wearing these Shoulder pads, a SM Champion Pad and a standard pad with the High Elf Chariot Lion Pad glued on.

gallery_37061_5492_243112.jpg

He won't be carrying the bolt pistol, I'm in the process of making a combi-flamer out of a Umbra Ferrox bolter and flamer.

gallery_37061_5492_28709.jpg

Because the combi flamer that FW have just released is too modern looking for my liking!

gallery_37061_5492_251413.jpg

Are the current arms suitable? Do they work well? I know they're actually MKVII but the other alternative is to use Chaos Marine gloved arm for the right arm holding the weapon and purchase another bionic arm and convert it to hold the Ravenwing Power Sword.

What do you guys think?

Edit AGAIN!

Have been thinking about the 2 Dread choices, a standard and a Ven... I'm trying to decide whether to go for the plastic Ven dread or the DA ven from FW, as for the standard dread, it's gonna have to be this guy, as he's the only MKIV without the aquila!

FW MKIV Iron Clad

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates Brothers, I am currently on a sabbatical and enjoying some relaxing time off with my special lady.

Once I return home later this week and assess how many more "bits" I need to get, I should be able to offer a greater picture on what I plan to make, paint and show you guys :(

Until then....

Ciao!

Christmas is now well and truly out of the way and I hope all you Brothers (and Sisters) have taken down your decorations and hidden your trees ready for next year?

Now postal deliveries seem to be returning to normal I thought it high time I crack on with this project.

What have I been working on? Well not a lot really as I had been away for 2 weeks, got back yesterday to a lovely horde of bits from around the place (including some wonderfully fine resin bits to help me with a second project I will begin soon).

I have, however, been working on my Company Captain and starting work on 1 of the Tactical Squads, beginning with the HW trooper.

Last time I presented the Company Captain he looked like this:

gallery_37061_5492_148944.jpg

I think I mentioned earlier that I hadn't realised the Iron Hands legs were in fact MKVII, so I added some "rivets" to suggest they were actually MKV:

gallery_37061_5492_49333.jpg

I also decided to rework the front of the model. Rather than just green stuffing the torso front I decided to add a DA icon, as I also realised I wouldnt have place for one on the Shoulder Pads I had chosen. I also added the tabard from a BT torso front just to add something extra and make it look less empty at the front:

gallery_37061_5492_24043.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_99777.jpg

As you can see I also worked on the helmet, adding the DA wings from the DA upgrade sprue. I just need to add some green stuff to cover the gaps up and then embellish with grenades and a bolt pistol in holster.

I also added 2 cloaks to the back of the model, one being a piece removed from the legs of the High Elf Dragon lord and the other being an animal (possibly bear) skin that I had lurking in my bits box, but can't remember from which kit! Again, this will need some GS just to plug the gaps.

I then got carried away and glued the arms, weapons and shoulder pads in place!

Here's an almost 360 view of the model:

gallery_37061_5492_5637.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_106440.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_40176.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_19930.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_47095.jpg

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :P

I then started work on 1 of the Tactical Squads, starting with the Heavy Weapons Trooper. This dude is armed with a Heavy Bolter and is wearing largely MKV armour, with a MKIV helmet. His shoulder pads will be MKV:

gallery_37061_5492_99232.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_2987.jpg

I removed the left hand and inclined it as I prefer the modern look rather than the Chaos holding post. I drilled through the hand and positioned 2 sides from one of the Heavy Bolter ammo packs you get with Devastators and pinned in place.

One thing that has appealed to me is the idea that Troopers become "familiar" with their armour, and as such I am going to mix MK's of armour and adornments throughout the squads, for instance, a Trooper with MKV torso might have MKIV or III legs, and MKIII shoulder pads. The idea behind this is that they are awaiting arrivals of new Marks of armour and as such combine their trusted pieces of armour with newer parts.

edit: oops for got to add this photo, inspired by madscuzzy's epic creations!

gallery_37061_5492_283590.jpg

his topic can be found here

Brothers, I need your help....

Do I sculpt GS cloaks for my Sgts or just glue backpacks and have all line troops as standard?

Sgt 1:

gallery_37061_5492_221690.jpg

Sgt 2:

gallery_37061_5492_138913.jpg

I can't decide whether to or not, but really want to emphasize how much my PHDA have been influenced by the covers of the DOA and FA books

Help a Brother out :lol:

Thanks Cloud Runner, he's now primed and ready for a lick of paint!

I've been away this weekend seeing my fair lady in old London town so not much work been done...

but before I went I was able to finish off the basic modelling of 1 tactical squad....

gallery_37061_5492_466953.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_333665.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_321820.jpg

I've so far avoided adding any DA "bling" except the occasional piece to berak up the large bare space on the MKIII armour or the occasional oath of moment and large seal. Should more be added or is this is a case of "less is more?"

Once the GS is finished on the Sgt I'll be able to prime them up and get painting, bolters will be a little way off yet as January bills have just arrived this morning :devil:

One quick thing, that you might get mentioned elsewhere.

During the crusade and heresy, power armour production was at it's highest levels, so it would be unlikely for marines to be wearing parts from different marks, like your tactical squad.

Having said that, based upon the artwork form the CCG pics, I think the DA pics would look best with Mk III legs, arms & shulders, Mk V torsos's and special style Mk II heads.

In fact, taht last guy on the right is exactly the look I was talking about - spot on!

Personally, I really like the mix and feel of the unita nd really look forward to seeing more of these. Keep up the good work :)

One quick thing, that you might get mentioned elsewhere.

During the crusade and heresy, power armour production was at it's highest levels, so it would be unlikely for marines to be wearing parts from different marks, like your tactical squad.

Having said that, based upon the artwork form the CCG pics, I think the DA pics would look best with Mk III legs, arms & shulders, Mk V torsos's and special style Mk II heads.

In fact, taht last guy on the right is exactly the look I was talking about - spot on!

Personally, I really like the mix and feel of the unita nd really look forward to seeing more of these. Keep up the good work :D

Yes, that was something that I had considered and was a difficult decision to make.

Did I want a form of unity between the Brothers, or did I want to give the impression that this was part of a large fleet that was engaged in military activities at the extreme end of the fleet it was attached to, and as such the fleet lacked regular "deliveries" from Mars, especially since the defection of the Mechanicum to Horus's side.

Additionally I wanted to convey the idea that these Marines were very attached to their armour, they repaired and blessed their armour, similar to the way it has been described in one of the early HH novels - the idea that even painting their armour was seen as an insult!

I think some more purity seals will help to suggest this a bit more. I am aiming to have some considerable scratches, and what not, to suggest regular enemy contact.

As far as paint jobs go, I am looking to probably start with a base coat of either GW's Adeptus Battlegrey mixed with Chaos Black, or Vallejo Model Colours German Grey. This will then be highlighted subtlely with VMC's Basalt Grey and lastly GW's Fortress Grey and then washed considerably with Badab Black.

During this coverage I will lay down some metallics to suggest battle damage, starting with VMC Gunmetal grey, some masking fluid and then lighter shades of metallics from both VMC and GW. This will sit beneath my base armour colours and will be removed once painting has been done.

The shoulder pads will match the covers of the book and differ from the standard red or white on black of the standard PH paintwork. So they will start with grey, I shall mask the emblem and then build up each layer a lighter shade of grey, then masking fluid, until I reach white. Hopefullt his will give an adequate and interesting armour detail.

I am also considering what style of bases to use. I am not a fan of bases that are covered in mud and grass, much preferring Space Hulk or Urban styled scenery (my love of sci fi and WW2 showing through here). I've bought some plasticard materials to help with SH themed bases and have plenty of cities of death and resin basing bits from the basing kit to see these guys through.

Perhaps I need to knock a couple of bases up and see which is more popular and suit my guys?

I think they're looking sensational

Thanks Isiah, it's encouraging comments from cool dudes such as yourself, Cloud Runner, kizzap88 and eternal defender who keep me focused on making DA and not being afraid to try new ideas, challenging my "skill" as a hobbyist.

Thanks for all your comments guys, you've all been a great help :D

Your plog here has given me some of the impetus to kick my Heresy era boys back into gear, though House moving puts a dampner on it.

If I get chance, I'll get pic's of my LEJ done and put him up for viewing pleasure :D

I'm hoping you'll be doing the Primarch and/or Luther as well?

Keep at it bud, it's well worth the time & effort

Your plog here has given me some of the impetus to kick my Heresy era boys back into gear, though House moving puts a dampner on it.

If I get chance, I'll get pic's of my LEJ done and put him up for viewing pleasure :)

I'm hoping you'll be doing the Primarch and/or Luther as well?

Keep at it bud, it's well worth the time & effort

Thanks for the compliment :P

It's comments like that that keep a Brother going! I look forward to seeing some of your guys coming together for my own inspiration ;)

I have to say one of the greatest influences on this board for me, has to be Brother Argos. His determination to his love of the hobby, and his incredible insight and creative process into making each model has been a huge source of inspiration for me. If you haven't already, you should check out his Iron Hands blog in the works in progress section.

I've also been hugely inspired and influenced by Angels_Blade, the damned artificer, VanSan, Wayward, Tanhausen and a few good friends IRL, who are exemplary with an air gun, one of whom now works for 'EM! These dudes have helped me to focus ideas, lift me when I'm feeling down and constantly make me challenge what I want to make and how I'm going to make it!

Thanks guys :D

Archived