how to make craters?

Actually this is covered by GW in depth in a multitude of supplements. Basically the easiest way is to cut out your base that it is going on. You get some foam core, the half inch thick should be more then thick enough. Cut out some rectangles from it. Make them similar in size, but NOT identical. If they are identicle it will looked too artificial, but keeping them similar but different it looks more natural. If you want a decent sized crater that is not too deep do about a three to five inch long by one to two inches. Scale up or down as needed. just make them a bit longer then they are wide. Take a rule and cut the rectangles in half to get elongated triangles. Arrange them in a circle or oval as you see fit with the horezontal cut down, and what was formerly the long edge of the rectangle facing outward. Glue them down once you have a pattern you like. Then you take putty and shape the crater using the triangles as a guide. I personally like duram's wood putty because its pretty cheap and you can mess with the consistancy pretty easy to get it where it is easiest to work with. Keep it nice and rough, add in some pebbles, prime and paint. You can really knock a lot of them out in a short period of time. My whole gaming area is currently in the process of being moved or I would do one and take pics as an example. But with the weather in Chicago right now that may be a bit.

• 2 months later...

I made some rally really cheap craters.

you will need: Pva, gritty sand with lots of little bits in it, cardboard (the packaging stuff not cereal packets), a rubbish bowl and something you can use to stir.

1. cut out the cardboard into an appropriate shape. (aprox 10cm accros)

2. mix the sand and pva and mix so the texture is all the same.

spreat a huge dollop on your base leaving about 2 centimeters to the edges.

3. make an indentation in the middle of the dollop so there is a low middle and high sides. spread out the edges in to long thinn streaks. so it looks like raised lines. spread out the remainder beetweenthese lines.

4. leave to dry.

5 knock off any excess and then paint it up. voilayou have a crater.

Hope this helps :D

Archived