Stormraven cargo units

shatter

The model will appear one day. I feel fairly confident.

Much of the list efforts I've seen make some attempt at synergy, point efficiency spam, fun or a combination. The present absence of an official model for the Stormraven however has reduced it's presence and impact on everything from popular netlists to general appreciation of their potential for the above factors.

Much like a Landraider, a Stormraven is not limited to the strength of just the vehicle but the combination of cargos, loadout and deployment options. In this thread I'd like to encourage posters to discuss their preferences. Unfortunately, the potential variation between possibles will make evaluation by comparison tricky.

So, to keep it a little under control, please assume the Stormraven set up you prefer will find a place in a 1850 list and it's total cost may not be more than 550. If you wish to have a solution that will be used in scoring, cost may not exceed 600. Death company, 650. HQ units may be present and are not factored into these numbers, however, please state how many points are left for the rest of the list.

Please also state in a few words what kind of list it's intended for. Eg, DoA-drop pod hybrid, DS-gunline hybrid, etc.

Or, you can ignore all that and give a setup where points are not an issue and one is trying to get the most dead MEQ from an assault 'SR bust-out' or a 'most efficient' setup where you feel their killiness versus costs is highest and thereby potentially spammable.

Discuss!

The model will appear one day. I feel fairly confident.

Much of the list efforts I've seen make some attempt at synergy, point efficiency spam, fun or a combination. The present absence of an official model for the Stormraven however has reduced it's presence and impact on everything from popular netlists to general appreciation of their potential for the above factors.

Much like a Landraider, a Stormraven is not limited to the strength of just the vehicle but the combination of cargos, loadout and deployment options. In this thread I'd like to encourage posters to discuss their preferences. Unfortunately, the potential variation between possibles will make evaluation by comparison tricky.

So, to keep it a little under control, please assume the Stormraven set up you prefer will find a place in a 1850 list and it's total cost may not be more than 550. If you wish to have a solution that will be used in scoring, cost may not exceed 600. Death company, 650. HQ units may be present and are not factored into these numbers, however, please state how many points are left for the rest of the list.

Please also state in a few words what kind of list it's intended for. Eg, DoA-drop pod hybrid, DS-gunline hybrid, etc.

Or, you can ignore all that and give a setup where points are not an issue and one is trying to get the most dead MEQ from an assault 'SR bust-out' or a 'most efficient' setup where you feel their killiness versus costs is highest and thereby potentially spammable.

Discuss!

Just pulled out my handy army builder and this is what I came up with, and theory hammer as well as stories of peoples experiences with the Stormraven tells me that this load out would be pretty effective:

Stormraven

Extra armour

TL Lascannon

TL Multimelta

Transporting:

Furioso Dreadnought

Blood Talon w/ built-in Heavy Flamer

Blood Talon w/ built-in Meltagun

Extra armor

Magna grapple

Transporting:

5 man RAS, retaining jump packs

Meltagun

Powerfist

Sargent Infernus pistol

Attached Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump pack, Power weapon

All of this comes to a grand total of 600 points even.

As I said, this is mostly theory hammer as I have never played a Stormraven, and this is the load-out I always seem to come back to.

The issue with the storm raven is that

A) Big Target=200 points down the drain turn 1 or 2 if youre lucky it'll last a third turn. So keep that in mind, you will only get a turn or two to fire with it.

:D once you load it up with a dread and anything else in the troop bay (which makes the vehicle awesome btw) it starts to take up half of your armies points. In a 1500 point game which is the norm at a GW store, 600 points seems much, albiet it is 3 units. Unfortunetly, A RAS squad is too weak to be carried in there unless you take the JPS off but then you're losing that 35 points to thin air. 5xSanguinary Guard? these guys are probably the best choice with a priest. that or someone said it can carry terminators. DC isn't a bad idea either and I'll try it some day. But then again I've watched a guy lead 10xDC around the board with a single eldar biker.....EPIC FAIL in my eyes.

But you're talking about an 1850 Point game. Tournament List. I've been messing around trying to include SRs in my tournament army, and there is room for it, but once you go down that path, you have to understand that your army will be built around them. Have 2 maximum I believe and if you can fit in some baal preds with various armaments, so that you can scout them ahead. This of course will force your opponent to deal with them in the first or second turn, and by the third you should be in combat 100%, but with a handful of troops......

Dunno, I'd like to see some army builds with them that can be really competitive rather then just using them for fun.

Stormraven/extra armor, twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta

Furioso/Blood Talons, heavy flamer, extra armor

Librarian/jump pack, hand flamer (Unleash Rage & Sanguine Sword)

Honor Guard (jump packs & chapter banner)

* pair of lightning claws

* lightning claw & stormshield

* thunderhammer & stormshield

* Novitiate

G :)

Stormraven/extra armor, twin linked lascannon, twin linked multi-melta

Furioso/Blood Talons, heavy flamer, extra armor

Librarian/jump pack, hand flamer (Unleash Rage & Sanguine Sword)

Honor Guard (jump packs & chapter banner)

* pair of lightning claws

* thunderhammer & stormshield

* Novitiate

G :to:

^^ This is verging on identical to what my load out will be in my next game, though I have a captain ready to go - still waiting on the Libby.

My current/previous choice is Raven with las/melta and extra armour, DC Dread with heavy flamer and talons, 5 DC with 2 power weapons and a fist and a normal Recluisarch. Comes to about 635pts (leaving 1,215 in an 1,850 list).

I reserve but don't deepstrike so I can unload when it arrives. They will generally wipe out what they hit (if there's support and access I'll try to hit 2 units depending on what they are) and the presence of these guys in the middle of my enemies army will often distract from the Stormraven sat right above them so that'll generally get some more shooting in before going down.

I'l be running a second one when I can be bothered to make it (can't have a mismatched pair when the official brick lands).

..breaking my own rules but...

A shooty drop on one reserve roll designed to cause the most damage possible on the turn it lands.

SR for DS

-TLMM

-Assault cannon

-hurricane bolters (defensive weapon)

10 sternguard

-2HF

2 combi-melta priests

furioso

-frag cannon

-magna grapple

-melta arm

760... Sure, very very expensive, but it can target & pop 5 transports up to AV14 on a single reserve roll. With the frag launchers and HF, it's templates could hit more (lesser AV). It's anti infantry ability is crazy.

I plan On using one to ferry some DC to the fight then take the role of Gun ship Until Dead so 5 DC with Packs with a Counts as Chaplin Carnavron (Lemmy) Not too sure on their Load out and a DC Dred and the Raven will only have Extra armour and Hurricane Bolters the Dakka Raven Sure Expensive But I like the Idea of it and hell it will be neat to have sitting about looking awsome.

Why-oh-why would people take Lascannons over assault cannons? Range is the only thing the Lascannon has over the AC, but you want to be all up in their face anyway so it's a moot point. 4 x S6 rending shots beats 1 x S9 AP2 non-rending shots in almost every scenario other than trying to ID multiwound models, in which case you have MM or missiles anyway.

Am I missing something?

^^^

I feel the same way! with a stromraven you want the maxium amount of shots 99% of the time (except mabye with the multi-melta) so leave it with assault cannons! I often find that you damage vehicles more often with an assault cannon anyway. hurricane bolters are just a god send, and bloodstrikes are awesome for destroying weak transports.

as for whats inside? take mephiston, and a furioso dread (with all the bells and whistles). theres enough stregnth 10 attacks to send anyone packing! >:) i know there are better combos, but once i get the model this will be the first thing i do, because ive always wanted to do it ;)

I'm actually considering the potential of a full Stormraven list around the 1700-2000 points mark.. haven't worked it out but the idea will be a bit like this:

3 Stormravens

Librarian with JP and Shield + Unleash Rage

2 Sang Priests

2 furioso Dreads

5 man DC with Lemartes and JP

1 DC Dread

2 10 man RAS

Fill up points with Land Speeders.

Libby is in the center ship and uses shield each turn to keep all 3 and as many LS units as possible in cover (might even run with 2 Libbys if points allow).

And they will fly into the heart of the enemy together. Consider the assault a bit like Apocalypse Now Helicopter Charge. Fly in firing and drop the troops where they can do the most damage.

Why-oh-why would people take Lascannons over assault cannons? Range is the only thing the Lascannon has over the AC, but you want to be all up in their face anyway so it's a moot point. 4 x S6 rending shots beats 1 x S9 AP2 non-rending shots in almost every scenario other than trying to ID multiwound models, in which case you have MM or missiles anyway.

Am I missing something?

I've heard anti-vehicle being better either way, so it's time for...MATHHAMMER!

(To keep things balanced, I'm running a total of 4 scenarios, so I'm not posting the step-by-step here as that would get crazy long. If you want the step-by-step or different AV, PM me.)

Given: Stormraven shooting twin-linked lascannons at a vehicle

Assume: no cover save

Assume: AV14

Result: 15% chance to penetrate

Assume: AV11

Result: 58% chance to penetrate

Given: Stormraven shooting twin-linked assault cannons at a vehicle

Result: 5% chance to penetrate

Conclusion: it's all about what you want the Stormraven to do. If you want it to be mowing down enemy troops for a lighter assault, the TLAsscan is probably only matched by hurricane bolter sponsons, but for taking down vehicles, the Lascannon wins every time.

A few things about stormravens...... you need armour staturation in the rest of your list when using them. They're quite fragile even with that. Jump pack units are not needed for Stormravens and shouldn't be taken due to skies of blood hampering you rather than helping you. Dreads with Blood talons in the back are great. A Combination of Terminators , A Furioso Dread and the Stormraven can potentially engage 3 targets in a single turn across a very wide front. , very nasty.

This was my old duel stormraven list.

Currently working on a new one however.

HQ

Librarian in terminator armour with stormshield. Unleash rage and Shield of Sang powers. 145pts

Elites

5 Assault Terminators. 4 thunder hammers and stormshields , 1 pair of lightning claws. 220pts

5 Assault Terminators. 3 thunder hammers and stormshields , 2 pairs of lightning claws 215pts

Troops.

5 Assault marines. (removed jump packs) 100pts

Lascannon razorback. 55pts.

5 Assault marines. (removed jump packs) 100pts

Lascannon razorback. 55pts.

Fast Attack

Baal Predator with twinlinked assault cannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons. 145pts

Baal Predator with twinlinked assault cannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons. 145pts

Heavy Support.

Stormraven with twinlinked Multi-melta , twinlinked Assault cannon and extra armour. 215pts

Stormraven with twinlinked Multi-melta , twinlinked Assault cannon and extra armour. 215pts

Predator with Autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons. 135pts

Total 1745pts.

Am I missing something?

I've heard anti-vehicle being better either way, so it's time for...MATHHAMMER!

(To keep things balanced, I'm running a total of 4 scenarios, so I'm not posting the step-by-step here as that would get crazy long. If you want the step-by-step or different AV, PM me.)

Result: 58% chance to penetrate

Result: 5% chance to penetrate

Conclusion: it's all about what you want the Stormraven to do. If you want it to be mowing down enemy troops for a lighter assault, the TLAsscan is probably only matched by hurricane bolter sponsons, but for taking down vehicles, the Lascannon wins every time.

Stole this just now. Very handy chart.

gallery_42390_5425_9086.jpg

^^ Credit where credit is due.

shatter, could you please explain how those numbers were achieved or link to an explanation of the same? They don't even make sense--how can a S6 weapon with Rending be more likely to wound AV14 than a S9 weapon? The only possibility that I'm seeing is if labmouse42 is actually doign something that is mathematically incorrect, that is, multiplying the percentages for the assault cannon by 4 because of having 4 shots; the problem is that while it could be said that you are 4 times as likely to hit, you are by the same line of reasoning 4 times as likely to miss. There is a way to account for number of trials in a statistic calculation similar to this one, but to make it another percentage is wrong. The correct way to include number of shots would be to multiply each value by its number of shots, but this produces a number with units (.15 hits from the lascannon at AV14 vs. .20 hits from the assault cannon). This is not a percentage because now, instead of being out of 1, it is out of the number of shots that the weapon has, that is, instead of being .05/1 (which is 5%), it is .20/4 (which is also 5%).

Note the chart is glance or penetrate at least once.

I think it comes down to 'succeed at least once per salvo'.

With multiple shots: 100%-(fail% per shot)^shots

So, say a 4 shot weapon has a 95% chance to fail to do anything per shot, 4 shots would deliver a 81.5% chance to fail on all shots or (95%^4). Obviously if one fails to err fail, one is succeeding so total chance of success (at least once) here is 18.5%.

Archived