Legion

Battle for the Abyss

Mechanicum

Tales of Heresy

Fallen Angels

A Thousand Sons

Nemesis

The First Heretic

According to wiki anyway, I haven't bothered to check if that's right, but it should be. But yeah, google is your friend :D

Horus Rising

False Gods

Galaxy in Flames

The Flight of the Eisenstein

Fulgrim

Descent of Angels

Legion

Battle for the Abyss

Mechanicum

Tales of Heresy

Fallen Angels

A Thousand Sons

Nemesis

The First Heretic

According to wiki anyway, I haven't bothered to check if that's right, but it should be. But yeah, google is your friend :D

+ Prospero Burns.

The first four on the list should be read in that order. The rest of them actually are single standing, though in appear Fulgrim several already known characters, as well as Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels should be read consequtively, as well as Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns.

I thought Prospero burns was being officially released this saturday (which is why I didn't include it, although I probably should have anyway)? I know some people have got it, but those were advanced copies or whatever. Or at least the guy in GW the other day told me it was being released on saturday. Then he told me again five seconds later. Then again five seconds after that. Then again and again and again, seriously the kid was way too over enthusiastic, I couldn't get out of the shop fast enough. (Can you guess the last thing he told me on my way out? :D)

As long as you read the first 3 in order, the rest don't really matter.

The first 3 follow the characters across the three books, and really act as a big intro. The rest of the books are standalone, and tie in and out of the other stories.

It's been just under one year since I first cracked open Horus Rising. I had been aware of 40K as far back as 1990 when I played some Space Hulk, and I've been reading sci fi heavily since high school, but I've just recently gotten into the 40k books. So, I think I may have a unique perspective for someone who wants to dive right into the series and get up to speed asap:

Here's what I would consider the mainline Horus Heresy books:

1. Horus Rising

2. False Gods

3. Galaxy in Flames

4. Fulgrim

5. A Thousand Sons

6. Prospero Burns - The companion book to #5

7. The First Heretic - From a timeline perspective you could put it at #5, but Magus is in it and I think it benefits you to not skip over them)

These two were fun reads, but I don't think they are necessary:

The Flight of the Eisenstein - Actually, the main character is a real bad ass and he's "currently" doing some very special work for the Empire ( see audio book Garro: Oath Of Moment).

Battle for the Abyss - In the timeline, it would go after The First Heretic

Legion Specific:

Legion - You could technically slip it in before Fulgrim if you wanted to.

Descent of Angels / Fallen Angels - Two part Dark Angels series. Seems stand-alone, but that legion is supposedly showing up later on next year. Best you read them before reading that stuff.

I honestly haven't read these two, but I'm 99% sure it hasn't hindered my keeping track of the HH timeline:

Mechanicum

Nemesis

It's been just under one year since I first cracked open Horus Rising. 6. Prospero Burns - The companion book to #7

7. The First Heretic - From a timeline perspective you could put it at #5, but Magus is in it and I think it benefits you to not skip over them)

...If by #7 you actually mean "Thousand Sons", the Thousand Sons take (who would have guessed?) on the events of Prospero Burns.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought Prospero burns was being officially released this saturday (which is why I didn't include it, although I probably should have anyway)? I know some people have got it, but those were advanced copies or whatever. Or at least the guy in GW the other day told me it was being released on saturday. Then he told me again five seconds later. Then again five seconds after that. Then again and again and again, seriously the kid was way too over enthusiastic, I couldn't get out of the shop fast enough. (Can you guess the last thing he told me on my way out? :huh:)

Don't know what Black Library are doing in the States, Prospero Burns was released two weeks ago in Australia (in time for Xmas).

Bit of a thread hi-jack.

Is it worth reading Fallen Angels ?

I just finished Descent of Angels and to be fair: I am not impressed.

It seems like Scanlon tried to put way too much information in as little amount of pages as possible.

The build-up is nice enough, but then it just finished way too soon.

Fallen Angels is written by Mike Lee however, and I thoroughly enjoyed his Nagash books.

"Fallen Angels" is more or less essential after "Descent of Angels", as it wraps up many loose ends. Personally, I think I have enjoyed "Descent of Angels" mainly because I read "Descent of Angels" immediately afterwards - it may make you think higher of "Descent of Angels" than otherwise. If you have already invested time and money in "Descent of Angels", you might as well go for "Fallen Angels", as it is overall a bit better, in my opinion.

There is no doubt in my mind that Fallen Angels aids Descent of Angels; Lee certainly yanked Scanlon up by the scruff of the neck instead of leaving him floundering!

Likely to be a third instalment to round off the trilogy within the HH series - would make sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Bit of a thread hi-jack.

Is it worth reading Fallen Angels ?

I just finished Descent of Angels and to be fair: I am not impressed.

It seems like Scanlon tried to put way too much information in as little amount of pages as possible.

The build-up is nice enough, but then it just finished way too soon.

Fallen Angels is written by Mike Lee however, and I thoroughly enjoyed his Nagash books.

Yes as a fan you should, plus you need to read all the books to get a better perspective of the whole Heresy

It's been just under one year since I first cracked open Horus Rising. I had been aware of 40K as far back as 1990 when I played some Space Hulk, and I've been reading sci fi heavily since high school, but I've just recently gotten into the 40k books. So, I think I may have a unique perspective for someone who wants to dive right into the series and get up to speed asap:

Here's what I would consider the mainline Horus Heresy books:

1. Horus Rising

2. False Gods

3. Galaxy in Flames

4. Fulgrim

5. A Thousand Sons

6. Prospero Burns - The companion book to #5

These two were fun reads, but I don't think they are necessary:

The Flight of the Eisenstein - Actually, the main character is a real bad ass and he's "currently" doing some very special work for the Empire ( see audio book Garro: Oath Of Moment).

Battle for the Abyss - In the timeline, it would go after The First Heretic

Legion Specific:

Legion - You could technically slip it in before Fulgrim if you wanted to.

Descent of Angels / Fallen Angels - Two part Dark Angels series. Seems stand-alone, but that legion is supposedly showing up later on next year. Best you read them before reading that stuff.

I honestly haven't read these two, but I'm 99% sure it hasn't hindered my keeping track of the HH timeline:

Mechanicum

Nemesis

You must be having a laugh there. The FOTE is probably the best book out of the lot and shouldnt be so easily dismissed. All books are essential reads as they each add a little or set something up for further.

And yes hopefully you do have a unique perspective

• 3 weeks later...
Have now read

1. Horus Rising

2. False Gods

3. Galaxy in Flames

Was thinking of The Flight of the Eisenstein next and then Fulgrim, good idea, bad idea?

That's the way they are published in black library???

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy?f...;filter_value=2

Thanks

Ben

I would think Fulgrim should go before FotE. Also you should not miss out on the Audio Books. The Dark King and the Lighting Tower, Ravens Flight, Garro: Oath of Moment are all excellent. Would anyone add them to their List of "book" order?

Archived