Mech Blood Angels - Pred over Dred?

syypher

Which do most of you consider the better choice?

I've used both and through my experience it seems I normally run the Heavy Preds as AV 13 Walls for my RB's. However this is only turn 1 and then they end up staying back and doing their long range shootiness that they do. I run Dreadnoughts as semi-mobile gun platforms.

Dreds are easier to get LoS with since Preds Sponsoons are way lower and sometimes my 4-5 RBs + 3 Baals block LoS. However this could be just a maneuvering issue that will cure over time with experience. Predators shots are as reliable since no TL either but they are more powerful. Also their much tougher to kill since AV13.

What is everyone elses opinion on this topic?

I'll support the previous posters - Preds are what you need. Autocannon and LC sponsons provide valuable and flexible fire support.

But as Heavy Preds seem more reasonable, the dreads look awesome ;)

Dreads are more survivable (AV12 all around rather than AV11 on the sides, most opponents won't be shooting you on the front unless they're desperate). They also, as you note, have better LOS- the maneuvering issue does not disappear with practice, although you can mitigate it somewhat. Dreads, on the other hand, can hide behind your vehicle wall for 4+ cover quite easily.

The ability to zip around sometimes is rather irrelevant, I find- I'd rather be able to move through difficult terrain safely. Riflemen Dreads are also cheaper than Autolas Preds (the usual comparison.)

You could always take a mix of Preds and Dreads in the Heavy slot if you have the points. Shooty dreads can be fun, I just find my Preds to be better for what they can do and for what they cost. I leave my preds in the back and rush forward as far as possible turn 1 and try to force my opponent to choose between shooting my preds or the vehicles and jump troops charing at them. Remember that unless your opponent is hugging the back edge of his deployment zone, fast Rhinos probably are going to be able to dump their units out turn two and have something in assault range. If your opponent doesn't dump fire into the troops in his face, they will be on him turn 2. I am a firm believer in pushing everything forward and forcing your opponent to make bad decisions. The shock of seing 30-40 marines right on their doorstep is probably going to put most everyone off their game, at least the first few times they encounter the tactic

Dreads are more survivable (AV12 all around rather than AV11 on the sides, most opponents won't be shooting you on the front unless they're desperate). They also, as you note, have better LOS- the maneuvering issue does not disappear with practice, although you can mitigate it somewhat. Dreads, on the other hand, can hide behind your vehicle wall for 4+ cover quite easily.

The ability to zip around sometimes is rather irrelevant, I find- I'd rather be able to move through difficult terrain safely. Riflemen Dreads are also cheaper than Autolas Preds (the usual comparison.)

Huh? Dreads survive more than Predators? I think you have that mixed up, my friend. Predators when deployed correctly almost never die save to outflanking and or infiltrating. Dreads however have to run at your opponent to be any good(Let's be honest rifleman dreads, while cheaper than Auto preds, just aren't as good. I mean who spams auto cannons anyways?) and as such they will almost always die.

a big fan of dreadsn but tbh you have to tailor this choice to your list to get the best result. if your dread is hanging back, he will be isolated on his own. the preds can keep up the speed of your vehicles.

dreads however can also help in close combat (even if theyre shooting dreads, theyre still S6 ;))

also keep in mind that its quite hard to protect the flanks of your vehicles without blocking those off with other vehicles. dreads have a nice side armour of 12, and are somewhat more forgivable. they can hide in terrain and cant be immobilized by walking through said terrain :)

tool to the rest of the army i say ;)

The combipred is more powerful than the sniper dread. In a head to head battle, the front 13 and the 2 lascans (and simply more weapons) will often win the day. The Las cans also makes it more versatile and can really threaten AV13/14 and anything with better than 4+ armor. It can also move 18 inches to contest, or just run away. However, the sniper dread is cheaper, more accurate, higher side armor, can fight in hand to hand, and most importantly as mentioned - its easier for it to simultaneously hide in cover and have great line of sight (including the ability to readjust its firing angle in the shooting phase). Being able to statistically ignore half of incoming fire and almost always being able to turn and shoot your #1 priority target is great.

Booooooo! I thought B&C would come to a consensus and there would be an overwhelming majority answer. This makes things quite difficult for me to decide now lol...Pretty much half and half in which one is better.

Ok how about this:

When would you take the Predator or Dred over the other? What type of list? (specifically Mech lists - 4 rbs w/ tl asc, 3x baals with HB/tl asc, libby.)

Dreads don't fit the build of mechanised. With 4 RB I'd rather have dakka preds there with my boys rather than a dread who moves 6" a turn.

I would take a dreadnought with 4TLAC against DE. No benefit from lance on my AV12 on side or front which makes the vehicle harder to get an easier shot in.

I would take a predator in any other list. I tend to use the destructors to swing out on a flank and control streets or knock out transports. The Baal is kept near the troops (reverse roles since one has scouts >.>). Also, I can simply get more shots from a predator than a dreadnought.

Archived