painting howling griffons?

Paint and highlight the yellow first, then do the red. Iyanden Darksun and Mechrite red will be essential for their good coverage. And er, practice - it's not an easy scheme. Also you'll want to source decals for the chapter badge and black tactical markings. Not easy to freehand consistently.

Iyanden Darksun and Mechrite red will be essential for their good coverage.

Quoted for truth. Assuming your a masochist or just want the serious bragging rights that go with painting such a bright chapter over a black undercoat. Personally I'd take the easy route of a white undercoat followed by golden or sunburst yellow and blood red with a thin brown wash over both.

Tips for painting a quartered (or any other sort of split) scheme:

It's pretty simple really, the key is patience and neatness. Obviously the first thing to do is pick where you're going to split the colours, I pick down the middle vertically and the waist as the horizontal split. I have seen some nice stuff where the belt was the same colour as the legs, so maybe have think about that too.

As for the actual painting, well I paint as per usual, working on one colour at a time for highlights and shades and making sure it's nice and dry before I got to the other colour (basically so I don't smudge any wet paint from one colour to the other). I paint a nice thin line of 50/50 Black Ink/Chaos Black down the vertical line after the first highlights are done just to help seperate and define the colours.

From there, paint as usual, but add a few extra highlights along the vertical line, again just to help define and seperate the 2 colours, you don't have to be as extreme as my guys (especially on the helmets) a more subtle approach looks awesome too, it just isn't my style.

That's it really, be neat, especially where the 2 colours meet, a thin black line and a little bit of extra highlighting are all it takes.

Oh and remember to check you've got the paint on the backpack right, I got the colours switched around once and had to come up with a reason to paint an entire guy with reversed colours (the Brazen Claw sergeant, turned out OK) :D I blu-tac the backpack onto the mini and daub a touch of each colour on the correct side now, just to make sure I don't stuff up again.

For the record you can see some of my Brazen Claws here - although the squad took literally years to paint I assure that was all to do with me and nothing to do with the split scheme ;)

As an aside I think the easiest way to paint an HG army would be to airbrush it, mask the quarters off, airbrush and reverse. Even doing that with Army Painter cans would save some time if you're happy to use a masking liquid or agent. With the base done it'd just be a matter of details, highlights and shades.

Archived