Knights of blood

dirge caster

I dont know the full story. Could be that they are renegades or what have you. Could be the designers being silly. The BRB has a Sanguin Angel (Or something like that) painted identically to an Angel Sanguinne. (I feel like Im spelling those wrong...)

Its possible the Knights of Blood from the two codexes are the same. The Knights may have been declared renegade but are trying to be loyal.

Or, the chapter split, half to chaos the other half trying to attone for the half that fell.

Or its just an odd coincidence.

Or Mat Ward liked the name and took it.

Has anyone else noticed that the knights of blood are in codex blood angels and codex chaos marines? Is there a link between the two chapters?

This is from Lexicanum.com

Background

Once a successor chapter to the Blood Angels, The Knights of Blood are a renegade Space Marine Chapter. They were declared Renegade by the High Lords of Terra in M41. Although their frenzied warriors are dangerous to both friend and foe alike, they still (supposedly) purge the galaxy of the Imperium's enemies1.

In 999.M41, the Knights of Blood assisted their founding Chapter in their defence of Baal against both the daemonic hordes of Ka'Bandha and the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Being branded as renegades, they kept their distance from the other Chapters during the battles.1b

This is from Lexicanum.com

Lexicanum has a Loyalist (Chapter) and a Traitorous (Warband) entry. Judging from what is known about each, they appear to be ccompletely unrelated; with as many Chapters and Warbands going around as have been for the past few thousand years, with many of them changing name over time, it doesn't surprise me that one of the lesser-known Space Marine armies has shared a name with someone else. Maybe if someone feels like fleshing both out, they could have an intense hatred for each other because of the shared name. ;)

For reference also see the Emperors Swords, who were destroyed by the Alpha Legion in the chaos codex and by the Necrons in the marine codex.

That's easy to explain - they were destroyed by Alpha Legion in fancy dress!

I think that the appearance in two codexes is probably poor continuity checking on GW's part but it's easy to reconcile the two because the Blood Angels codex specifies that they are still loyal and aid the Blood Angels in the defence of Baal whilst being careful never to fight alongside them as they have been officially declared Renegade by the High Lords. The Chaos Codex could be used to represent some of the more extreme elements of the KoB using Berserkers.

this also highlights the problems that aything not alien or imperial is chaos, when we have allsorts inbetween. cause to me they are renegade but not followers of chaos as we all knw how much the sons of sanguinius hate chaos... they are probably just like a slightly more angry version of the fleshtearers...

I think they are the same. And yes they are traitorous scum.

G :P

Why so harsh a reaction, brother? We are RENEGADE, not TRAITOR. Big difference. (see below)

I like the idea of them being the same, with some of them ex-communicated still fighting in the Emperor's name, some have all together different masters. Would make great berzerkers, seeing as they are particularly blood thirsty.

Again, we were declared RENEGADE by the Lords of Terra NOT The Emperor!!! (see below)

sounds to me that they are one of those groups who fights with who ever is currently winning/willing to work with them... so im gonna go inquisition on there @$$

RENEGADE does not mean MERCENARY!!! Bring the =I= and we'll FEEL NO PAIN!

As I stated back in April when our new Dex launched, I posted a few times regarding MY KNIGHTS OF BLOOD. Here's the reason MY KoB have been declared renegade:

Finally read C:BA cover to cover and saw an interesting note on the Knights of Blood - my successor army as it were - and started wondering "What in the world would they have to hide that coincides with why they were classified as renegades?" I didn't want to say my Knights ***sparkle*** since that was jokingly applied to another successor that never takes their helmets off. ;)

So.........I have added my personal fluff: When stricken with The Black Rage, Knights of Blood Death Company units are unable to differentiate friend from foe. They must move toward, shoot and/or assault the nearest non-KoB unit. This is why they must be on their own battlefield against the enemies of Mankind.

No other Primarch has declared us traitorous, mercenary or renegade as previously insinuated. Lords of Terra are men whose agendas are not recognized by The Knights of Blood, nor does their classification offend or impede us from cleansing the Imperium of enemies, to include defending Baal against invasion.

I think they are the same. And yes they are traitorous scum.

G :)

I agree. They are the same Marines, being shown both as Imperial Marines [C:BA] that are seen as Renegade Marines [C:CSM].

They might be one whole, unified Chapter or they could have splintered and there are definitely separate factions pursuing disconnected goals.

But whether they are naughty or nice, perhaps that one is best left for Santa to show :)

this also highlights the problems that aything not alien or imperial is chaos, when we have allsorts inbetween. cause to me they are renegade but not followers of chaos as we all knw how much the sons of sanguinius hate chaos... they are probably just like a slightly more angry version of the fleshtearers...

I agree. If you are human and not Imperial, you are Chaos. :)

It kills much role-playing and ideological potential. I am still sad that the Red Corsairs are just Black Legion-lite

A great strength of other Sci-Fi or Sci-Fantasy work is the interaction between the factions, not just using "shoot to kill" as the mandate.

D'oh!

I cannot refer to a source, because I cannot remember where I read it, but I thought that the Knights of Blood appeared in both books because Khorne had a special interest in them. They are not followers of Khorne per se, simply so bloodthirsty and savage that they have unintentionally earned Khorne's favour. Like I said, I cannot recall where I read this though, and it may well have been a strictly unofficial source.

Sanguinarian, liking your style. When the 'dex came out I was especially interested in the KoB and considered repainting what I already have, but have too much done and I am such a slow painter I decided against it. I actually have a Captain/Astorath the Grim counts as made for them because I feel his special rules really work with them. I project for the future me thinks (unless I use him for my BA :rolleyes: )

I think the KoB are one of them armies (Lamentors also spring to mind) that you could plausibly have a choice of codex, although I think that C:BA suits them to a tee.

It Bothers me Brothers that you are so quick to heed the word of the High Lords for declaring our Brothers the Knights Of Blood as Renegades It should be our place to judge them such As a Emissary of Our Chapter Master Seth I extend our Hand to you for those Present at the defence of Baal are those I call Brothers And the only one in the Position to Judge us are the Emperor and Our Primarch for we are in service to these 2 and these 2 alone.

For we too have been Close to the Judging of the High lords of Terra and the Emperor smiled upon us that day But we are Still first to the Fight no matter whatever everyone else thinks of us.

--WFI--

They are definitely an interesting chapter. Who really knows what was the deal? They must be a bit over zealous. They would definitely be a fun army to build. I'm toying with the idea of putting together a dread heavy army based upon the chapter with two Stormravens to carry the most venerable of them into battle.

G ^_^

Sanguinarian, liking your style. When the 'dex came out I was especially interested in the KoB and considered repainting what I already have, but have too much done and I am such a slow painter I decided against it. I actually have a Captain/Astorath the Grim counts as made for them because I feel his special rules really work with them. I project for the future me thinks (unless I use him for my BA ;) )

I think the KoB are one of them armies (Lamentors also spring to mind) that you could plausibly have a choice of codex, although I think that C:BA suits them to a tee.

I don't think the C:CSM would hold water to C:BA. Might have to meta that.

Archived