Salvaging a land raider

Demoulius

hello guys,

ive come into the possesion of an old land raider. the paint job is horrible, thick on some places. many of the parts are damaged or even missing.

ive managed to find a replacement for most of the parts but what part i havent figured out is how im going to strip the paint.

the model is to big to fit in the container that i normally use to clean models. its filled with a layer of brake fluid and strips paint like a charm, but some of the parts are just to big to clean. and i dont want to risk pulling the model apart for fear of damaging it even further.

would you guys happen to know a good way to strip paint from large models?

I had the same issue. The way I dealt with it was to strip it in stages.

If you cant break it down then you can write off the interior as you will never get into it.

What I did was put some flash cleaner in a flat tray so it was about an inch deep. All you do then is put one side of the land raider in at a time. and then strip each face in turn.

It takes longer but at least its effective.

Also as its such a big model I used a pressure washer to strip the flat areas. That worked a treat.

I hope that helps.

Sasha xDDDD

Mine I put in a container which barely fit and basically did what Ultrarich suggests: a piece at a time. In my case, it fit lie mid way so I only needed 2 "stations".

I bought it allegedly well painted but it was a SW (I'm DW) so I stripped it... only to to find it had: black primer, red primer, white primer, black primer again, space wolves grey... it was HELL to strip, but the ultrasonic cleaner did a good job, as 4L of IPA did xD

Also as its such a big model I used a pressure washer to strip the flat areas. That worked a treat.

(Visions of chasing a plastic tank around the yard with a pressure washer!) :)

That did happen when I did it to some of the figures that I bought and then stripped off ebay.

I used a bench vice to clamp it down and add weight to it before spraying it.

If you do this though watch your fingers. The washer can strip skin before you know it ata that range.

I recently stripped a pair of LRCs that I got on the cheap secondhand. They'd been painted as Black templars vehicles, and I'm an Ultramarine.

Each one had layers upon layers of black paint, primer, some horrible brown wash/weathering stuff, and then a brutal coat of varnish. I soaked mine in stages, as well. I used about a half-gallon of Simple Green in a very large Rubbermaid container. Soak for a week side-by-side, scrub, rinse, flip over, repeat. Took about three weeks of soaking and scrubbing to get them to a usable state. I didn't waste my time trying to get to the interior and paint them, as I wasn't keen on cutting the Raiders apart. I just sealed the whole thing up tight by gluing the front ramp closed, and will be gluing the sponsons on tight after paint is done.

I should snap pics of the stripped state they're in now, before I prime and repaint them!

• 3 weeks later...
Got to agree with Dave's statement. get out your hobby knifes and with some patients and perseverance you'dd get it apart. Had to do the very same with a LR i got of a friend, it was painted horrible after managing to take it to bits i soaked the parts in home acatone free nailvarnish remover and set to work with a old toothbrush. After the work was done i just repaired any damage with some green stuff fu and swapped the doors with the ones from the templar upgrade kit and once primed and eventially painted ill have a rocking LR.

I've found that cutting apart the newer models isn't worth the time. Old-edition Rhinos, sure, but not the new ones. Definitely not a land Raider. Seal that baby up tight and ignore the interior. It's a refurb, and any work you do on the interior is going to be lost anyways, unless you use lights to illuminate the inside.

Archived