Vanguard Veterans: PF, PF, LC, LC, PW, GE

Attack Bike: MM

His List:

Marlboro

Librarian squad

Command Squad with Meltas all around

Demolisher Tanks x3

Chimeras x3 or 4 with squads inside, 3 meltas each

Valkarie w/ squad inside – shotguns, 3x Meltas, and the bomb someone throws within 6”?

Hellhounds w/ Melta template x2

12” off the Table Edge deployment – Kill Points Mission

He wins – gives me turn 1

DEPLOYMENT

There were some 3” tall mountains to the right, various forests, a good size block of nothing in his right corner. The left half of the board had a couple mountains of the same height and a strip of forest also. He put his librarian squad inside a chimera on the far right of the board, right behind one of his Demolisher Cannon tanks which was right on the 12” line. Another Demolisher posts at mid-field. His last Demolisher stayed in reserve. Two chimeras, one with some HQ? and a command squad were behind the far right mountain. One hellhoud was about mid-field at the 12” line, the other nearby. The Valk starts on top of the mountain to the right.

I choose to Deep Strike it all, the bike would come in normal reserve.

TURN 1, Imperial Guard

He moves forward. Everything goes over 6”. The two chimeras in the back field shuffle a bit, the Libby squad chimera follows the demolisher forward. One hellhound moves to the left in case I drop left and start moving right. The other stays about mid-field. His Valk zooms to the far left of the board.

TURN 2, Blood Angels

Everything comes in except the Assault Squad with Chaplain and Priest. The Sanuinary Guard drop perfectly next to one Demolisher. The attack bike moves forward 12” directly in front of another Demolisher. A dual-meltagun drops behind the Libby squad Chimera. One half of Vanguard drop next to the Chimera with Libby Squad… perfect so far. The honor Guard drop between two Chimeras. The dual-melta drop right next to the honor guard. Sanuinor drops 3” from them all. All excellent rolls! The final Vanguard drops next to his command squad tank. Shooting commences. The Demolisher in front of my attack bike blows up. The Chimera holding Libby Squad…. Blows up…. The Chimera with command squad… blows up… the Chimera with 10 troopers in it… wrecked. The Demolisher tank next to the Sanguinary Guard… blows up. WOW. Not what I expected at all. He didn’t either. The Vanguard Assault his Libby squad… it disappears. The other half of my Vanguard assault his command squad… all but the IC disappear. Again… WOW. On my first turn I already had 7 or 8 Kill Points to his 0. We could have called the game there.

TURN 2, Imperial Guard

Marlboro pops up near his lone IC that is left standing. He throws some kind of grenade, I loose a couple assault squad members. His storm troopers shoot at a combat squad of assault troops… 3 melta guns, lots of rapid fire – 1 marine dies. His hellhoud has some excellent luck though. Melta template over my Sanguinary Guard/Chaplain. They all disappear. That was his entire turn.

TURN 3 Blood Angels

I didn’t know IG could have melta templates – now I’m watching where I step. My other combat squad of assault troops drops down with Chaplain/Priest near his Valkarie on the far left side of the board. The idea is to keep that Valk on that side of the board even if I am giving up 3 easy Kill Points. I fully expect to make that many back this turn and still be up by 7. My attack bike turbo boosts within 24” of a Hellhound and the Valk. Sanguinor eats up Marlboro, that IC from his command squad dies. His storm troopers get assaulted by some assault troops and stay locked in combat. I win combat, he loses 5, I lose none. Vanguard squads and an Assault squad leap over the mountain and cross their fingers that the melta template doesn’t do too much damage. I think it was 9 KP to 2 KP at this point.

TURN 3, Imperial Guard

His last Demolisher comes in, as well as another Chimera full of troops. The demolisher, squad inside valk (disembark), and Valk, all get out and aim at the 5 man assault squad, priest, and chaplain. They die to massed low AP fire. My plan worked. His troopers that are still in combat die. 10 KP to 5 KP.

TURN 4-5, Imperial Guard

Everything jumps towards his Chimera with troops inside. The Chimera disappears, troops inside get assaulted. I try a shot at a Hellhound from the attack bike, no luck. A sergeant with power fist assaults it, and it blows up.

TURN 4-5, Blood Angels

The other hellhound shoots at the squad that just took out the hellhound – all but the PF sergeant die. The squad with melta/shotguns/etc. that started in the Valk unload on the lone sergeant… and wiff. Combat continues and the last of the troopers die.

Dice is rolled – 2. Game ends.

BLOOD ANGELS WIN – 13 KP to 5 KP

Lessons Learned:

DoA: 4-6" Away is a great place to put 5 man squads. Also - this game took place before it was brought up that Combat Squad declaration takes place after the DoA Roll... so ya'know, when those replies pop up.. I already know. :lol:

Melta: worth it every single time, in every game so far. I’ve never rolled so well on the Vehicle Damage table. Every time I said that a vehicle blew up, it really blew up.

Sanguinor: Nope, not worth it, at least this game. Replaced with Astorath.

Sacrificial squads: Sometimes you have to take losses for the greater good. The Assault Squad with Chaplain and Priest would have done damage if ignored, but they prevented a Valkarie, the squad inside, and Demolisher Cannon from aiming at the rest of my force.

Imperial Guard: POP SMOKE! Maybe reserve everything in the face of DoA.

Hellhounds: WOW, fast? Melta-template? Yes please.

The Vanguard Assault his Libby squad… it disappears. 

He wasn't able to use it, the psykers got chopped.

@ BigBaals It was a good game. Good DS rolls make DoA armies too deadly.

Archived