Scoring Models

Hey lads i was wondering if 25 scoring models was enough in an all-comers DoA army? I normally run 3 RAS w/ Hammer, 2 Melta, Hand Flamer. Now though I want to cut down 1 of the squads to 5 man w/ Meltagun, Infernus Pistol. This extra 125 pts allows me to make up another honour guard w/ 3 melta's.

With the squad reduced the list would look like this:

Librarian w/ Jump Pack

Librarian w/ Jump Pack

Honour Guard w/ 3 Melta's, Jump Packs

Honour Guard w/ 4 Plasma Guns, Jump Packs

Sanguinary Priests (2) w/ Jump Packs, 1 Claw each.

10 - man Assault Squad w/ Hammer, 2 Melta's, Hand Flamer

10 - man Assault Squad w/ Hammer, 2 Melta's, Hand Flamer

5 - man Assault Squad w/ Meltagun, Infernus Pistol

Vanguard w/ 3 Storm Shields, 2 Claws, Hammer, 1 x Melta Bomb.

This list's RAS squads are still putting out the same amount of melta shots (albeit 1 is shorter range) but this is brought back up with 3 extra Meltagun shots and an extra plasma gun. This list will also have 4 FnP and FC bubbles now.

What do ye think? Is 25 enough or should I stick with 30?

Well since you have 4 priests bubbles your models should have enough survivability unless the opponents really focus everything they have on them.

Though I dont see how 125 points is enough to field an entire honour guard with jump packs and 3 melta's

why LC on models that wont get attacks for combination and have low number of A to start with and already start with str 5 on charge what covers the need for re rolls. wasted points a power weapon is enough.

I dont think the list needs 2 librarians. but that is your choice.

I dont understand the HG squads , if you wanted to go shoty there are better options for a BA list , if you wanted more anti meq there are both better shoty and hth units for the list . specialy the plasmas are odd.

I dont understand the arments for the vanguard . why claws they cost tons of points and you should always be charging near a SP bubble . TH , PW two melta and I wouldnt worry about the shields too.

the 5 man ras doesnt convince me too. If you wanted a DOA anti tank unit then venguards are better , If you want to have scoring units then this shouldnt be a 5 man squad .

why LC on models that wont get attacks for combination and have low number of A to start with and already start with str 5 on charge what covers the need for re rolls. wasted points a power weapon is enough.

Lightning Claws for me have always worked out better even with furious charge. The re-rolls have been invaluable gainse MEQ, hordes and MC's if im desperate. I don't know where you are getting your "wasted points" from when both Power Weapons and Lightning Claws cost the same. If priests have a low number of attacks for a claw then so do termies, vanguard, honour guard etc. You have got to remember this is a DoA list with everyone having a Jump Pack. 2 attacks is the highest base number i can start with for the army.

I dont understand the HG squads , if you wanted to go shoty there are better options for a BA list , if you wanted more anti meq there are both better shoty and hth units for the list . specialy the plasmas are odd.

Again in a DoA list you can't get a more shooty unit then 4 Plasma Honour guard as Devs/Termies are out of the question. Also the 4 Plasma HG have proved invaluable to help my army take out higher toughness MC's and terminator squad. The melta HG was chosen so they could bring more to the anti-mech table then the 6 Melta shots already mentioned in OP.

I dont understand the arments for the vanguard . why claws they cost tons of points and you should always be charging near a SP bubble . TH , PW two melta and I wouldnt worry about the shields too.

Again claws are not expensive at 15 pts again the same as a regular PW and when they get charged the claws i have found to be better. Again my vanguard are tooled out to be a small hammer unti and may not always be near a priest bubble as with all DoA lists there is the chance of coming in piecemeal. I find the shields necessary as it adds to their survivability against MC's, Pie-Plate tanks, Devs, PWs etc.

the 5 man ras doesnt convince me too. If you wanted a DOA anti tank unit then venguards are better , If you want to have scoring units then this shouldnt be a 5 man squad .

Again as in the OP the small squads weaponry is to make up for the loss of meltas when they were reduced. I normally run 3 full RAS's as mentioned in OP but was seeing what i could do with this smaller unit. I.e it helped me to get another HG unti with Meltas for extra AT punch.

If you wanted a DOA anti tank unit then venguards are better , If you want to have scoring units then this shouldnt be a 5 man squad .

Again i do not agree with this statement as i believe VV should be used as a CC unti and the AT in a DoA list belongs to the Melta HG, Twin melta RAS and the Blood lancing Libbies.

Funnily enough I was reading something elsewhere by GBF/BBF/SV2.0/BO/whateverhisnameistoday that said you *shouldn't* take Honour Guard units in Jumper Armies as you need the extra bodies on the ground and you can get extra scoring units or points for your fancy units by leaving them out.

I agree with much of it, though not all but he's right about losing the HG to get more scoring units. Caolán is having the same problem. Well, he will over the next few weeks.

I'll have a look at that. I suppose i don't really need HG. Yeah after what you told me today Caolan will struggle if he's doing Nipple Wind. Tell him to do the Nipple Hammer (Sang Guard + devs)

*EDIT: that was a very interesting read. Really opens my eyes as to what the Raven can do. Also that it would probably be better to have 3-4 melta RAS then HG. Will re-write a list later and see what i can come up with.

Here's a new list i just scribbled up :

Libby w/ Jump Pack, Shield + Lance

Libby w/ Jump Pack, Shield + Lance

Assault Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns, Hammer

Sanguinary Priests (3) w/ Jump Packs

Vanguard (5) w/ 4 Storm Shields, Fist, 3 Claws, 3 Melta bombs

50 Jumpers

8 Melta's, 2 Lance's, 4 Hammers, 1 Fist, 3 Claws, 3 Melta Bombs

Archived