Creating a wash

Hi, I'm making a wash for my realm of battle board (to seep into the cracks of the cliffs and stones) I've bought 1 bottle of Chaos Black to dilute. Question is, how much water to add to make sure, 1. It covers the appropriate parts of the board, and 2. It looks decent and not too watery.

Thanks in advance!

To make a wash similar to the current GW ones, its better to go this way:

1.- Acrylic medium, matte finish

2.- Acrylic colour

3.- Water

Proportions: 1 medium - 1 water. Add colour as needed.

Based only on Chaos Black... I'd say 1-1 also... but it might be too watery.

Hope it helps.

To make a wash similar to the current GW ones, its better to go this way:

1.- Acrylic medium, matte finish

2.- Acrylic colour

3.- Water

Proportions: 1 medium - 1 water. Add colour as needed.

Based only on Chaos Black... I'd say 1-1 also... but it might be too watery.

Hope it helps.

It does indeed. I was thinking 1-1 so we'll see how it goes later on tonight. Thank you.

Acyrlic Matte medium,

Black ink like DR. PH martins 40 drops to 1.5 oz or so <can also use other coloured inks>

Flow aide if you wish for it to be runnier

Water distilled 1 /1 ration to matte medium

The reason you don't go wait paint is because the bigger the wash you make , the more likely you'll "break the paint" Ink doesn't break and there are no particles like paint as it doesn't separate like that

The reason you don't go wait paint is because the bigger the wash you make , the more likely you'll "break the paint" Ink doesn't break and there are no particles like paint as it doesn't separate like that

I had forgotten about this. But I reckon the GW chaos black can withstand a 1:1 mix maybe even a 1:2.

Its not a matter of the quality of the paint, but of the products its made of.

A BAD analogy would be using snow skies and water skies... they are similar in shape but they are quite different between them.

Halrian gave you a more technical answer... I'm more of a "try and error" guy: I compare the inks 15 years ago (which I still have and work perfectly) and they have NOTHING to do with the current ones.

Before, you gave a flesh wash and all the skin turned "tanned".

Now, it "slides" on the surfaces and goes into the recesses, giving a slight colour overall but a deeper effect in the crevaces (spelling?).

That being said, if you're not texturizing, watering the paint will give a finall effect of painting black the deepest parts and "marking" like the rims of a puddle when it dries out... I hope I got the idea across, language issues right now xDD

Well for things like this you could use a Thing called "Indian Ink" If your using it to go over a Basecoat of Grey of something It will work perfectly Just use a fair bit more than you need and Remove the excess with a Rag or paper towels the a quick Drybrush of a Highlighting and a Matte Coat afterwards. It is also Dirt cheap.

Archived