Cheap Dad

Well its basically like the title says, I have been away from the hobby for a few years, but now I have a 10yr old stepdaughter that wants "pink or purple marines"... I'm thinking Hawk Lords, and a 9 yr old stepson who loves spiderman that thinks the Brazen Claws look cool. Now in a ideal world I would run out right now and by them both a full company, however the budget is not going to support those types of purchases and the woman would probally cut off my... well you get the idea. Also with both kids having the attention span of a goldfish I don't want to buy a whole bunch of models that never get played with. I'm kinda looking to see if anyone knows of any paper tank/marine printouts or something similiar that I could use to introduce them to the hobby. They both play with my DA but mine are all painted the same and it does make it rather hard to tell his army from hers. That and I think they would get into the hobby more if they had "their own" marines

How big is your gaming group? I would try finding an Ork player that wouldn't mind pitching in $75 for 2 AoBR sets. Then you split the sets into Orks and Space Marines and your stepdaughter can get one of the marine sets and your stepson can get the other. Should be fairly cheap if you buy on Ebay or perhaps Amazon.

I love the game throughly enjoy the modeling aspect of it but not real good at either lol

I used to drive a 4 hour round trip to play about once every 2-3 mnths but havnt played now in about 2yrs been looking to get back into it but with no one any closer then 120miles i figured id try to get the kids into it theyve been asking anyway, tried my old battle for macragge tonight didnt go to bad, be a few years before they can take on the old man but wasnt bad seriously goin to start watching for AoBR now

The AoBR idea is a pretty good one, because it's the best value. (5 Termies, a tac squad, a commander and a dread for under $100?!) Despite the lack of bits that you'd have after putting that together (none) it's still a nice set. The only other thing I can think of is if you can't drop that much then start out small with a tac squad or something, since it will take time for them to put them together anyway.

Congrats on getting the kids into it!

Hello!

I think your best bet may be Ebay. To get myself into painting without ruining my painstakingly crafted marines (I spend many hours converting on each unit) I bought some Assault on black Reach marines from merchants on Ebay. For a marine it ran me about a dollar each, and I got 3 dreadnoughts for about 12$ each. I've seen termies for about 3$ each "buy now". I still go very often, and piece together models, I find it an excellent source.

Also, my applause for starting off a new generation of hobby gamers. With my luck my kids'll be into sports! >.<

P.S:Get your daughter into Slaanesh marines, that'll scare off boys for a while.

Edit: The Tactical squads I bought came with a captain each, so I have those kicking around too! Also, the lack of bitz can be made up with stuff from your collection. Hope this helps

Or, both. In your case try getting the Black reach set from ebay and then put the orks on bartertown to trade for the marines. and who knows, once the kids see the orks they may want to play with them! In either case, I must applaud you for getting your kids into the hobby. At my local shop there are several who bring their kids, and everyone likes to play against them because both players wind up having such a great time!

Emperors children did become slaanesh marines during the Heresy :D

Why not (if you have models) spilt your DA and use different color sticky price tags on backpacks to "seperate" friend from for for the test battles/learnign games while you gauge intrest on if they like the game before commiting to models they my not like/want.

after last nights little run through some of the battle for macragge i think i can milk that box set for a few more weekend, the boy might be a bug player he seemed to like them, think ill start looking for a black reach set in the next month or so. I work night shift so we wouldnt be able to play till the weekends anyway should be able to get a few more weekends out of macragge lol. i know she would go for the Emperors children but im a little wary of letting her play with the demonette models... or for that matter letting her play against her brother with them. it may be a unfair distraction to him lol are the Emperors children competitive without out them? or am i just being over protective and should just let them play? what do you guys think? shes 10 hes 9, to young for plastic boobs on their models? lol

Well, as the brother of a 12 year old girl, I think you should be wary of collecting an entire army for her. I've found that over the past few years she got increasingly interested in guys and stuff and less interested in things like 40k. Just a little warning, it could be just like a little idea in her mind. Do they both look forward to playing and pursue you about it? Or will they just be unused models?

I wouldn't worry about the demonette models. Before you worry about plastic boobs you should worry about your step daughter siding with Chaos. (I don't know if she plays with Barbies, but I know they have plastic boobs as well) ;) Actually, I don't think you need to worry about them, as far as I can tell, she doesn't want to get into it for the tactical aspects of the game. You can just not buy her them, even if it stunts her army a bit, I don't think she is playing to stomp faces at tournaments.

Yeah, you could probably buy a tactical squad and give them both 5 guys. Do you have paint for them to use though? I was just on the GW website looking at it and it gets pretty expensive real fast! Depending on how well they can concentrate and be careful you might want to get them their own paints.

If you're worried about them getting out of the hobby, get some cheap acrylics at walmart or some other 'hobby' store. The 'FolkArt' run for about $2 for 2 liters of straight paint, you'll have to water it down. Honestly it's the only thing I can afford and I've had some good luck with it. I know that there's some better paint out there, but for the cost and the quality it isn't bad. The only thing I can advise is that they need undercoats of black or white, depending on the color scheme. On the upside if she gets out of it and doesn't want to do it anymore, they can easily be stripped and painted again.

Also, FolkArt has a pretty big range, and it's acrylic so you can come up with your own formulas for colors.

If you're worried about them getting out of the hobby, get some cheap acrylics at walmart or some other 'hobby' store. The 'FolkArt' run for about $2 for 2 liters of straight paint, you'll have to water it down.

Delta Ceramcoat is (slightly) better for about the same price (less chalky). Avoid the metallics.

Recommendation: Start small. Insist that they complete a unit/model before purchasing new ones. And make it a race for them -- The first one to complete X squad/model get an extra $5 budget for the next squad/model.

And why do they need to be Marines? You could start the girl off with the pansy, foul Xenos Eldar. That way you'll have something to beat consistently. And most of the aspect warriors are metal -- easier to safely strip for maximum resale value on ebay when she loses interest! ^_^

A lot of the replies have assumed your daughter is a 'girly' girl; how girly? If REALLY girly, go pink Necrons!

http://hosting.hwcommunity.com/050811203518-Necron%20pink%20monolith.jpg

Or pink Sisters Of Battle! (Maybe use Marine Codex for simplicity)

http://www.ironhalo.net/Images/40k/CSisters14.jpg

Or if you really want to put the cat among the pigeons...

http://image44.webshots.com/44/1/26/72/2052126720078877961RVrCKq_ph.jpg

Otherwise, I would recommend that, because of their ages, there will be less arguing if they both have the same codex; every army has a different playstyle, and Marines are the best for young players, being good all-rounders.

If one of your kids has a different army, they might keep losing all the time because they are trying to shoot with their Orks, or punch with their Tau. This will be frustrating, and they will lose interest fast.

If one kid has blue Marines, and one has Red, and you have a load of assorted grey units with removable red and blue flags, they can experiment with different builds without you having to buy two of everything.

i would suggest temporarily repainting the rims on some of your DAs bases. black for one kid, brown the other? means they are easy to tell apart, and can be re-painted to look uniform again after the nippers have their own armies.

suppose thats the good thing about the marines codex or CM codex, all units are the same, but fighting styles, tactics and flavour of army change dramatically from chapter to chapter. means they can have two different armies that fight differently, but can use the same squads, so if one kid hates being whipped by devestators, they can get some of their own!

and i gota say, its cool your getting your kids into the hobby. couple years down the line, they may veer away and do the teenager thing, but they come back 90% of the time!

and your never too young to be exposed to boobies. they made me the man i am today. practically blind but with a hell of a muscly right hand.

...and your never too young to be exposed to boobies. they made me the man i am today. practically blind but with a hell of a muscly right hand.

As a father I have to officially disapprove of that one! *Laughs behind stern face*

i didnt even attempt the stern face ;) all good ideas and pink necrons?!?!?! niiiiice :) the pink sisters with marine rules is actually not a bad idea for her i was kinda thinkin marines would be easiest to learn and i already have the dex lol think im goin to be watching ebay for some unpainted deals and just split whatever i get between the two i do like the idea of making it a race im betting the girl gets em done faster but the boy does a better job painting... now just to get em trained up enough for a actually game see who is the better general lol im betting on the girl she is a bit older

Archived