Legio Custodes

Hashshashin

Silber: I want to add lighting bolt as well I just haven't been able to find any 'bits' so I may have to try and make some, we'll see. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

I personally would do them in Green Stuff. As an alternative very thin plasticard might work well.

again thanks everyone for the feednback so far.

Vash1023: Agree with you about the backpack, but it's just such a space marine thing that I felt obligated to give him one, I just made it look all eagley. Although one image of an Adeptus Custodes in the 4th ed rulebook the dude clearly has a backpack on and that is a Blanche piece so I give it more weight then the others and his front loin cloth thing is scaled similarly to the one on my guy. Although they don't normally have the legs like Power armoutr either they have those weird almost dark eldarly legs or just straight up like a skirt and breeches with buckley shows

If you read the short story by Abnett called 'Blood Games' it clearly states that because of their unique genetic implants that some custodes are noticeable larger then 'regular' space marines because the process used to create Space Marines is essentially a watered down version of how a custodes is made. and from Lexicanum "The Custodes are slightly larger and stronger than Space Marines"

I haven't read first Heretic yet but it's next in the line (after I get around to buyng it)

Also isn't that image you posted of the Emperor and the custodes both substantially taller then the Space Marines standing right there? Emperor biggest Custodes big and space marine the smallest. and from that scale my 'art-scale' looks to be dead nuts.

I really appreciate the input and the picture of all the Custodes in there black helmets and armed with just bolters is one I really like but haven't been able to find, and it's the inspiration for all the eagle wings sticking off my dude shoulder pads, so thanks.

Silber: Yeah I'm thinking thin plastic card strips might do the trick, and I have some I just need to find them. I'm going to do some experiments later today possibly. I just am not that skilled with the green stuff so I try to avoid it whenever possible. I'm thinking just a few on his left pad and maybe on the shield to disguise it more

I just am not that skilled with the green stuff so I try to avoid it whenever possible.

That's not the way to go if you want to improve your skills. Just sayin'. Although I can see that a conversion from chopped up Forgeworld stuff might not be the place to start learning....

I'm thinking just a few on his left pad and maybe on the shield to disguise it more.

I'm all for disguising the shield. The ]|[ just screams Inquisition to me, although it could just as well mean "Imperator". Lightning bolts could help there.

Hello everyone back again,

I see ZJL (Zombie John Lennon) has been singing you guys tunes and keeping everyone's vibe right, man...bro

Anyway, Just wanted to show you all the little progress I've made since last time posted pics. So I removed the Hector Rex Shield and made a custom job for my guy here. I kept ti fairly simple because all of the images of shields they carried were all very simple so I tried to stick with that but also going my own way as well.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/hashshashin_2008/Facing_newsheikd-1.jpg

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/hashshashin_2008/Close_newshield.jpg

Also worked on some lighting bolts, I had made some ones that were a bit more uniform but when I looked back to the art the were all kinda crazy and shotting out in weird angles/directions so I again tried to stay with that theme and make these each different, let me know what you all think. haven't pulled out the stuff yet but will probably get to that in the next day or two.

I have also been working on painting my renegade IG so this is more like a fun side-track project, but I think I am going to move forward with an army but I think I will make the rest of them standard 28mm scale, I have some awesome kit-bashing ideas that I think will look great, so I will keep everyone in the loop as I make progress.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/hashshashin_2008/New_spike.jpg

Also added that spike seen in all the art on the end of the 'G' Spear.

Cool, well again thanks and C&C is appreciated.

Cheers

Maybe get rid of the face too.

Looking awsome but please remove the Chaos symbol on the bolter/spear.

Why does everyone think that that little arrow = a chaos sign? Obviously the eight spokjed Chaos wheel is that but I never took just the arrow to be that, clearly it is an echo of the motif but does it out of context really just create a one to one with chaos? I really appreciate any feedback but I guess I never even considered the arrow thing to automatically equal chaos. I always considered certain elements of the 'chaos' armour, such as how many of the 'chaos' shoulderpads have the flange (or whatever you call that piece) on the rim of the shoulderpad, or some of the legs have rivets exposed, and etc I always just considered that to be like pre-heresy styley, not repping the dark gods. Just that its some super old armour that they still rock out.

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject from a modelling point of veiw: Do the arrows equal chaos and that's just true and I never really caught on, or if that's just become how it is, or are those motifs and elements, in some cases, just throwbacks from the heresy era?

Here's a little crappy image that shows some of my inspirations and some of why I've chosen the style I have.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/hashshashin_2008/examples.jpg

Also the one-headed eagle:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/8/84/Custodesflag.JPG

thanks for the continued input and further C&C are always appreciated.

The arrow on the spear IS a Chaos symbol. Arrows generally are. The difference with the Custodes arrows is that they are lightning bolts in reference to The Emperor's original symbol (which was lightning, not the Aquila, hence the reason MK1 Power Armor is covered in lightning and is called Thunder Armor) and also in reference to the iconography of the Roman Legion.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Roman_legionaire_in_lorica_segmentata.jpg

The arrow on the spear IS a Chaos symbol. Arrows generally are.

Look out Pedro Kantor! Your ancient and venerated Storm Bolter named after Rogal Dorn is actually a Chaos weapon! :pinch:

I think the face looks good on the spear and the arrow is totally allowed to stay in my opinion. The more creepy armour designs and stuff reminds me a lot more of the older artwork and I think totally fits the Legio Custodes. Great work!

Zombie John Lennon protects!

The arrow on the spear IS a Chaos symbol. Arrows generally are.

Look out Pedro Kantor! Your ancient and venerated Storm Bolter named after Rogal Dorn is actually a Chaos weapon! :pinch:

And I believe the Tactical Marines from AoBR, have arrows on their shoulders, they must be infiltrators!

Like I said, GENERALLY arrows are Chaos symbols. Different things have different exceptions to that. In the case of the Custodes it's the Roman lightning arrows.

In the case of Codex Marines they have tactical markings.

In the case of a crate of wine glasses they have "this way up" arrows so nobody breaks them.

I mean, I suppose you could claim the Custode is an idiot and needs an arrow on his gun to tell him where the death shoots from, other than that it just screams random Chaos arrow.

Archived